Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hello,

Sorry, I know I"m never on here, With a new baby and a tough task of finding a venue I don't participate like I would like to.

BUT........I had to come here to share this! It a 1948 video trying to promote girls sewing their own clothes. I have to admit you can learn a few things about sewing patterns but it's soo funny.

It's just amazing to me how it's done. They way men and woman are portrayed.  Cracks me up, I love vintage stuff like this.

It's almost 20 mins long so beware, but so totally worth it. Even if you just watch the 1st few mins.

Anyone think those days were the 'good old days'?

http://www.archive.org/details/Patternf1948

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

You may laugh but I had to take those courses in school....and we did learn all those things! I remember being so annoyed in high school cause I wanted to take woodworking and it wasn't allowed - I had to learn how to make a blouse and cook instead.

Marion

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh eeeeeeeeeek!!!  Those actors are baaaaaaad!  Home Ec was optional when I was in high school and I never intended to take it - but ended up needing another course to graduate, so went ahead and mucked through it.  Cooking the first semester and sewing the second.  Guess it didn't hurt me . . . now I can make teddy bears.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

gosh - I also made these dresses in school. It sure brings backs memories. At the time I did not enjoy it at all, amazing that today I am using some of these skills I learn't.

Lynette

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

They started us young at my school. I was 12years old in my first year of high school. I hated my Home Ec teacher.
Hell everyone hated my Home Ec teacher.
She was such a witch she would have drained 'Versace' of confidence.
I wish she could see me now?  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
Wendy

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Omg that is waaay too funny.. lol. How Clever.. teeheee. You know that is actually a pretty good video if you want to learn about making clothes. I took Home ec and Industrial Arts in middle School..  I was always better at IA. I was horrible at Home Ec.. I could not sew very well at all.. lol, who knew!
They didn't even offer sewing when I was in highschool.

Hugs!
Melanie

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I just loved the video. It is interesting to look at the culture in the late '40's and today....I remember in high school PE we had to learn football. The reason was because we had "to understand it so we “can be tolerant of our husbands when they want to watch it"!!! It was a catholic school (early '70's).

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Oh Michelle, that totally cracked me up!!   :crackup:   

As for the video, I couldn't watch it.  Had to many aunties that were raised in that time era, and the whole 'husband rules' nonsense gets to me.  I figure if a girl wants to learn cooking, and sewing and homemaking ~ rock on!  And if she wants to be a welder ~ rock on!!!  Girls should be relieved we don't have the same boundaries there were back then.  Heck I remember the boundaries for women even in the 70s!  We've come so far its unreal.   bear_thumb

Board footer