Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm just off the phone with my mom who's in south east Missouri.  She had to get off the phone because they were having an aftershock of this morning's earthquake.  Just hoping everyone on Teddy Talk who was near/around this is okay.   :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

We second that emotion, prayers to all who are in the danger zone.

gollyhugs
dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yikes . . . what's happening to our world?  Natural disasters are coming too frequently.  We had another round of severe thunderstorms, tornados, large hail, and lightening strikes in our area last night for the third week in a row.  I hope everything will be okay in MO, Debbie.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Slept right thru it! 

I you are thinking this is REALLY weird and concerned - don't worry!

Actually, although the Midwest is not known for earthquakes, we do have a large fault... called the  New Madrid Fault.  On average, there are over 200 "events" per year (measuring over 1.0 on the R.scale) Most of them are very mild - about every 18 months or so a larger one occurs (4.0 or larger).

We get a lot of tremors here from time to time, but this morning I noticed they showed photos of Louisville, Kentucky...and part of a building had fallen onto the sidewalk.  Okay, that's not normal.  So I duly hope everyone's come through okay  bear_flower

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Debbie,

I didn't mean to make less of the situation  :hug:   :hug:  :hug:   just didn't want any panic about 'weird weather' for those who never heard of the New Madrid Fault.   I believe no injuries have been reported.

bear_laugh  Don't worry about upsetting me of all people Laura  :hug:  Nigh on impossible!  I was merely wanting to be sure no TTers took direct damage to their homes after seeing that  bear_shocked

And you're right, mention the New Madrid fault and people look at you blankly...even though it can produce some of the strongest earthquakes.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

LO - my DH has Restless Leg Syn.  I probably wouldn't know it if we both weren't both side-by-side in a double (SMALL!!!) bed.
Yesterday morning he asked me "Were you having a nightmare?"
He said my leg was jittering away and woke him up.

Half an hour later we heard turned on the radio (we're 200 miles from the epicenter and 20 miles from Laura)
Illinois' tip is formed by 2 river beds, the Mississippi on our west side and the Ohio River valley on the lower eastern edge. The Wabash Valley zone is part of the Ohio Valley and it came from that side this time. We've felt them from Ohio, 2 states away, when I thought it was just our local stone quarry blasting. And in CA, once just as our return flight was taking off. It shook up the pilot out of San Jose more than the passengers!!!

Once you feel that elliptical roll, you don't forget earthquakes. Eerie!!!
No real costly damage and no one hurt. We grow 'em TOUGH here in the Midwest!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In the nearly 40 years I've lived in New Hampshire we've had two good earthquakes. I don't recall where they placed on the R scale but it felt like a train was going right through the front yard! Pretty wild stuff for little ol' New Hampshire.

Glad everyone in the MidWest is OK! :hug:  bear_thumb

Board footer