Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've got Yahoo email for my primary email sources.  For years I've struggled with my own computer's email sytems.  In the case of two computers, I never did find the regular email....and it was always in my husbands name.  So I set up Yahoo for my email, and utilize it for my teddy bears.

I've been watching with some trepidation as Microsoft blatantly said it would simply take over Yahoo....and its marching its way towards that goal.  My main concern, does anyone know as this hostile takeover happens, do you think my Yahoo email could go kaput? 

I had to ditch my MSN Hotmail years ago due to inadequate service.   bear_cry  I'd hate to lose all my Yahoo stuff too!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
I would be lost if I lost my yahoo e-mail, which is my main one, which I have had for many years...

Lets cross our fingers it will not happen, Debbie!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

lulubears Posts: 280

I don't think I'd lose much sleep over it.  It seems to me that would be a very foolish move for Microsoft to even considering messing around with Yahoo accounts.  I would think all of those accounts would be very beneficial to them.

JMO - Luann

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

EI YI YI!!  I certainly hope not.  I'm with Yahoo, too - boo hoo.  Baaaad Microsoft.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
    I have a Yahoo account too, but I learned a long time ago to split up my email.  My hotmail is for my Ebay, my yahoo is attached to TT, my website and my blog is attached to my Gmail, and I use it also for my family emails
   I think if I only had Yahoo, I'd get another email and start transferring anything really important over to the new account or at least duplicate anything you really have to keep.  I have invitations to send people who would like to try Gmail.  If anyone is interested in opening a Gmail account, just PM me and I'll send you one.

hugs,

Brenda

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I don't think anything will happen with Yahoo accounts, When Rogers bought Yahoo Canada there was no change to yahoo accounts so I don't believe there will be any change here.  (Rogers is Canada's Largest Cable company and they bought yahoo Canada a few yrs ago).

big hugs

Shane

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I know Yahoo makes a lot of $ with me.  I pay for biz email, web hosting, website domains (about a dozen), flickr (a yahoo company).....  If Microsoft takes Yahoo over, then Microsoft gets all that $ that Yahoo is making....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I use the email service provided by my internet service (DSL through our phone company) and it goes right into my MS Outlook. If I'm not at home I can still access my email via their server online. I can't imagine being dependant on those online email companies! I do have yahoo and gmail and hotmail accounts... give those out when I don't want the junk mail that comes along with registering on some websites!

Still, Yahoo wouldn't be what it is w/o it's email and webhosting accounts - as said, that's where the money is! Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot to close those accounts!

Course, if they are like the eBay owners, that's exactly what they'll do! bear_wacko

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've been watching with some trepidation as Microsoft blatantly said it would simply take over Yahoo....

I heard on the ABC-based news network about 3 this afternoon, that Microsoft was walking away from the table...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

rkr4cds wrote:

I've been watching with some trepidation as Microsoft blatantly said it would simply take over Yahoo....

I heard on the ABC-based news network about 3 this afternoon, that Microsoft was walking away from the table...

Phew!!!!  Hurrahhhhhh!!!!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance:

My concern originally was not that Microsoft would do away with the Yahoo mail voluntarily.  It was that they messed up their own Hotmail on me earlier, and I was worried about my Yahoo emails going the way of my Hotmail account.   bear_ermm   

I'm so happy they've decided against this!!!   :dance:  :dance:  :dance:   I much prefer having more choices with the internet, not less.   bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Ooooopsie . . . they are still negotiating.  If Microsoft comes up with enough money, the deal will probably happen.  I saw one source that called it MicroHoo.   bear_ermm  bear_ermm  bear_ermm  bear_ermm

bear_angry   Nuts, does anyone know if Google does a similar free email service like Yahoo provides?  I guess I'll have to write down my email contacts from there to keep onhand should my poor Yahoo emails go toes up.   bear_cry

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Debbie,
     I posted earlier in this thread - google has Gmail and I have invitations to give out. I've had a Gmail account for about two years and I love it.  I think you can still only get it if you are invited.  If  you want an invitation, PM me.

hugs,

Brenda

Hi Brenda  :hug:   Thank you for the invite.  When I looked on Google this morning to explore their email options, they said their accounts were free.  ??  bear_wacko   Maybe this is for the similar to Yahoo, with the paid advertising to make it free and your account doesn't need it? 

And I hate to sound like a panic monger over this whole thing.  I just wanted to know if there were other options out there before things become scrambled at Yahoo.  I like to keep my eggs in more than one basket  bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

All is well!  Just watched the 10:00pm news and the whole deal is off.  Neither side could come to terms on the money.  Microsoft offered $33.00/share which Yahoo rejected, so Microsoft said bye-bye.   bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  MicroHoo was silly anyway.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

MicroHoo    :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Debbie & Brenda too - YES, GMAIL IS FREE... no invitation necessary. I don't recall there being advertising other than the same little one liner Yahoo has at the botton of their emails if you use their free service. Nothing obnoxious!

Board footer