Was trying something for the Panda challange but kept coming back to the bear getting into costume. This little person who still is nameless measures just under 3 inches fom under his soles to tip of his ears (his not the costume). Tried a tip I found on an old posting for the bear pattern. Stuffing arms and legs from the top and it worked so well. Go a nice body shape too. But the costume won in the end.
Hi Thank you for all your nice comments, Christina that was quite big for me
Susan Ifeel like I have lost my mind. I posted on Saturday and it is gone. Your bears are wonderful and I fell in love with Poppit when you posted on the challange. I really cant see how you could be having a problem with a costume as you got the waist coat for Rui. But would love to give you any tips that might help.
I used the bear pattern to cut the arms, body and hood. Just had to draw them out on paper to get it to be as if there was only one seam. The body had to get armholes. Dressmaking helped with that. Legs are the slightly difficult part. I made one bear in dungerees (eddie on my site) and those were just 2 rectangles sewn to fit. But if you want definition around the legs, use the body part and leave a gusset between the legs and then cut around the leg (leaving seam allowance) the leg pattern for the bear should pretty much fit into that "hole". Failing all else, draping and pinning works well.
I have just started on a series on 6 bears in costumes and although I try to keep it simple becase of the size, havnt had too many problems. Maybe just luck.