Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Audley,  When you are finished sewing the pieces together take a needle or your awl and pull the fur from the seams before you turn it right side out plus trimming the edges before sewing them together helpd to. Hope that helps.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
audley wrote:

In making miniature bears, (4 - 6") of sparse mohair, I use a needle to push the mohair under my seam line as I hand sew but sometimes when I turn the bear the on the right side  the hair is sticking straight up on the seam line. What am I doing wrong?  If I would shave the seam, which is miniscule, would that solve the problem?

Hi Audley, I make little bears too, and unless the fabric pile is really really dense I don't usually bother to poke the pile in as I sew-  I just sew it wherever it lands and just brush out the trapped fur when it's turned through. Because the pile for out little bears is usually  not as long or thick as that used for bigger bears, it usually works well. There isnt any loosening of the stitches after you free the trapped pile if youdo nice firm stitching . An alternative if you do wish to poke the pile through as you sew, is after you have sewn the piece go back around and pull the tufts in the seam allowance back through before you turn it.
   I do however like to trim the seam allowances on the snout area (gusset and head side pieces) and depending on  the fur, a little furhter up the forehead.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario
kellydean wrote:

it also has a 'power boost' button to rev it up when you hit - literally - a snag.

Ok I burst out laughing when I read  'power boost' button I'm wondering what kind of snag I would have in my goatee that I would need this button for  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

big hugs

Shane

P.S.  I only trim really dense fabric, normal mohair I never do.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Aleta that is brilliant. :clap:  What a time saver that must be.  I use mustache scissors to trim.

Kelly- that is one very-well-use table in your picture.  I guess it shows what a marvolously productive person you are. bear_thumb  bear_original

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
Judi wrote:

Kelly- that is one very-well-use table in your picture.  I guess it shows what a marvolously productive person you are. bear_thumb  :)

lol. . . or what a slob, although I admit that I prefer your version :hug:

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

I always trim with a fiscar scissor or my special small scissor for it. I actually have fun in trimming, its the hair and the mess cleaning that i hate. bear_wacko

Gosh i never thought of using trimmer... arent they dangerous? do they come in smaller version? Bec i just might be tempted to trim my fiancee's hair when his asleep! bear_grin oh, he will hate that. haha...  its the same trimmer u use for the boys hair right?

im glad to hear when making mini bears, i was right in not trimming it.. i was wondering where am i going to trim in the first place.

thanks

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Wow, am I the only one out there that NEVER trims the fur from seams???  I don't think it necessary at all.  But, what I do is probably more time consuming than all of your trimming.  I pin and machine baste all of the seams, then I groom the seams ( pull all of the fur out, front and back ) then I sew all of the seam again with a really small stitch.  I've tried trimming and found it a big hassle, even with trimmers.  A friend of mine trims her seams with those sqizers, scissors that they sell at Edinburgh Imports.  She swears by them, here's a link.  http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 38=0140007

Hugs,
Alison

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL Alison!  I think that trimming seams is something every person has to decide upon for themselves.  I did notice a difference in my bears. And yes, I've also tried what you do Alison and it DOES take more time than trimming seams LOL!  I got the same results either way, so I decided to stick with trimming  bear_tongue

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

I went out and bought a small beard  trimmer at Wal Mart the other day. It has that little tiny 1/4 head attachment. It works great. Best of all it was on sale and I didn;t even know it. It was only about 16.00 including tax! I had been trimming with just my fiskars scissors. So time consuming. This little trimmer makes it a much speedier job.
Beth

Board footer