Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I have a bear currently on e-bay, but come Wed. at auctions end my link will be gone.

Roll on Jan.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

HI

May I make another suggestion - the operators of these sites have limited funds just like everyone else.........if you have a dollar ot two to sparea and you decide to advertise in a magazine why not add Bid 4 Bears or Teddy Patch onto your advert..........with a line like

".....Also buy my bears at................"

Why not approach the organisers and arrange a special rate if you do this.........I;m sure they woudl be grateful .....and sooner or later all the collectors will get the message if all advertisers in magazines do this rather than list on ebay........they are NOT slow.

Plus try and pass the message onto bear artists who do list on ebay.

Have flyers on your trade tables at shows promoting the sites and list them on your business cards!!

The message PRONOTW PROMOTE PROMOTE!!

The colelctros have to learn about these sites..

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Sandra, that's a really good idea. There was a discussion yesterday during the Oh BearZ show about advertising. What do you require? Will you make up the ad with our photos or do we have to send it to you in a completed ad?

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

ConnieB, I hope you won't be flayed, it sounds painful  :hug:

Your point is an excellent one, I too, as a buyer, flick very fast and having just check out both alternative sites and  have found they are both a tad smaller than ebay...................................just enough to make flicking difficult bear_thumb

Sandra, great ideas, I only take a 1/16 of a page, as funds are limited, so it would have to take careful ad planning, flyers on stand is great. I do have, on my website a Bear's in shops page, a bid4bears page and an ebay page (will remove that last one)

For me I would love to list on ebay for 1p and explain where we are going and why........................don't think I would last long  bear_tongue

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Hello from Austria,
I followed your discussion about ebay and as far as I could understand your coments I have to agree with all of you. Unfortunatly I have to say, that in the past - the whole year 2008 - was very frustrating for me - I didn't sell a single bear with ebay - I only had costs and it wasn't so nice for me and my bears. I've my bears shown also at bearpile, where some of them already found a lovely bear-mom.
I would be so happy to find a new way to give my bears a chance to find a good place in the world. I guess - having a look at my site or even at my gallery at bear-pile - some of my bears aren't this way ugly not to find any nice place out in the world. And slowly but surely I can't afford my passion for making bears, if no money by selling some of my darlings comes in .........
therefore I removed my link for ebay and I will soon come to visit the new sites advised from you. Cross your fingers also for MY bears to give them a chance!!!!
As you can easily find out reading my words I'm very depressed in these last weeks ...........
But now I beleave to have found a "new family" where I can feel happy and fine in the future with all my bears - thank you so much!

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Well I've done it ... I have put my money where my mouth is!!!  bear_grin

My listing is now on Bid 4 Bears. Just click on the link below.

How many more are going to make the move ... and remove that eBay link?

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I just got an email from Nancy about a new Christmas promotion from Nov 20 - Dec 20 on bid4bears that sounds like a lot of fun with 50% off listing fees and random gifts from Santa to bidders - wish I was going to be able to take part! Some of you might want to go ahead and take advantage of this offer and start listing then instead of waiting for me in January. Maybe you can all get the site bigger than ebay by the time I am ready to start listing again!  bear_grin The last promotion seems to have brought in lots more users too so that is really encouraging. I am definitely giving it a committed try in January!

P.S. I just went in and removed my ebay link! I won't be able to list again until January but my next listing is going to be on bid4bears, and I will also give Teddy Patch a try too. Artist Power!!!! Let's do it!!!!  bear_thumb

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

I think I am going to join you ladies and remove my Ebay link too once my listing has finished. It has been a real struggle this year trying to sell on Ebay which has left me so disheartened and frustrated  bear_sad  It also does not help either when you see bears coming on Ebay like they are coming off a production line in a factory - all different sizes and fabrics and they are selling every time! How do they do it when you know that they are not even covering their material costs!  bear_rolleyes So come January or maybe before that I am more than willing to give the other 2 sites a try and I will certainly let my collectors know about them too. It doesn't help with everything in a bad way for everyone around the world which I am sure is playing more than a big part when it comes to people spending money.

There you go I've now had my 5 cents worth!  bear_grin Go Teddies GO!!!!!  bear_thumb

Hugs Lyn  bear_flower

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I have ever only listed on bid4bears and many of my bears have found new homes from that site- it is really easy to use and Nancy is always so helpful. Try it you will like it!!!!
Hugs
Gail

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I must say that setting up auctions on B4B's is very easy. And have had no problem with a host template being accepted. I havent sold there for awhile. I find it hard to make enough to sell in auction. I will try harder next year!

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I sense the revolution has begun, upward and forward fellow revolutionaries.

Yes come on the revolution  :dance:  :dance:  :dance: Denise  bear_thumb

Edie, fantastic thanks for letting us know Nancy has a promo
So...

Bid4Bears promotion 20th November to 20th December 50% off listing and random gifts for bidders

do ya think thats big enough, I was going to list on ebay then until all this happened but now I will be going for this promo on Bid4Bears

Andrea-you are not alone, I have nearly depleted my mohair stock and no means to buy more, I too find it very upseting not selling, you are not alone, I think there are many more of us, some are just too shy to openly admit it. :hug:  :hug:

Lyn-am totally with you on this one, I do think they are turned out like a production line and collectors do deserve better, and why oh why are Charlie bears still in Artists (in the UK) section!!!!

Kathy Myers-  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: Yes you are one of the big guys  :crackup:

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Okay girls that's very generous of Nancy ... now don't let her down. Take advantage of the opportunity by all means ...
BUT DON'T QUIT LISTING AFTER THE PROMO IS OVER!

YOU MUST STICK TO IT ... EVEN IF THE "EVIL MONSTER" TEMPTS YOU ... DON'T GIVE IN!

Those who make a living off your bears, continue with eBay if you must...but at least try to put a couple a month on Bid4Bears and let your collectors/customers know they are there AND REMIND THEM OFTEN!!!

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

What I am finding that works for me. I use bearpile and have sold so many from there, Even if the bear is on ebay at the time. I have directed the buyer to ebay and they purchased. I have had people buying from my site generally from bearpile. I am in the process of opening a Etsy shop. I have had enough of ebay myself, But I still like to put a bear up there now and then to get the exposure, Over the last 6 months, the bears that have sold off ebay those customers have rebought from me on my site and custom orders. My email list is getting larger and it has been a good year for me so far, after taking 2 - 3 years off and basically starting all over again. I will just be doing what I feel right for my business, even if it selling on ebay now and then or another bear auction site. Yes I have had my probelms with Ebay too.

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

VICKI - Etsy do have a Bear artist section. Under dolls just like Ebay

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone!! bear_flower

Weeeeeeeeee!   I like this!  Teddies rebellion!!  I have this mental picture of all teddies jumping down off their Ebay stands and marching out to go on strike!  Yay! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
I am one of those who feels a little intimidated about the prospect of trying to sell on Ebay (though I'm an ace at buying on there!!!).  Your proposals sound like a brilliant idea and I am only too pleased to join the merry little gang marching off to pastures new. 

Many thanks for bringing this whole subject up.  Good luck everyone!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Hello,  I have signed up for the Christmas promotion on Bid4bears.  I have joined in before with the promotions on the site but plan to list there more consistently in the future and I think it will become my main auction site in the New Year.  I also opened an Etsy shop a few months back, not sold anything there yet but I only have 2 items in there at the moment, plan to add more soon.  I have been a member of Bear Pile for a long time now, although not sold many on there either.  But I think the more places you have to promote your bears the better so I will probably still use Ebay now and then but not as much.  Also thinking trying the other one Teddy Bear Patch at some point.  It's good that we have a lot of choice, we don't have to rely on Ebay.  I don't forget my website either and try to remember to keep it fresh and put new bears on, there isn't enough hours in the day!!!

Pauline

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I am with you, girls.
Already listing on b4b...

I really sell very few bears a year, as tmy bear are not as successful as expected. Very depressing. I need to earn money from my bears because I made such a big stock of teddy bear making supplies!!!!
Unsold bears are queueing in my home, wondering if one day they will find a new loving family.

I tried eBay only a couple of times but gave up quickly.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

K Pawz Guest

Hi Guys, don't know if I am one of the big guys or not, but I like the vibe you guys have going....with me not creating soley bears, I am not willing to cut the umbilical cord totally but am willing to make a compromise if that works to make the transition, maybe listing auctions once or twice a month on Bid4bears? and then slowly transition from there.

My reasoning for this is this....I create many different animals and breeds of dogs, regulary I list in not only the one of a kind category, but I also list in the collectibles section of that animal (yes double auction fees, sometimes my listings are over $100.00 with final value) whatever it may be, and sometimes bidders aren't even collectors of bears or soft artist sculptures, they are just people who have found something I made that looked like their pet or one they had....Or I get a brand new comission from them seeing something in a category other than OOAK, and wanting one just like their own pet, so honestly I would be shooting myself in the foot by walking away from this totally, but like I said I am willing to compromise.

I do plan to stop listing in the featured section though, all i can see is that now it is a huge waste of money!!!

I have also tried Bear Pile lately and am very happy with the exposure, and will continue to post my creations on Bear Pile even when they are on auction.

hugs,
Krista

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

A slow transition sounds good bear_thumb Also, when listing on ebay can a person mention in their description about other auction sites, not posting a link of course, without ebay having a fit? I think it's ridiculous how much money ebay is making and yet the sellers have no say in anything!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Krista, just so you know, Bid4Bears is for bears and friends so other soft sculpture animals are welcome. It probably is mostly bears, but there have been dogs, cats, mice, horses, dragons, dolls and probably more than I can think of now.

K Pawz Guest

Thank Marlys, I have listed there many times before with varying degrees of success, but what I was saying is the variety of collector base I get on eBay is massive, since I list in categories there other than One Of A Kind Artist Bears.

I am one of the full time artists who relies on this for income, so I have to be very careful not to shoot myself in the foot.

hugs,
Krista

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have finally joined Etsy and have listed 5 of my bears there.It has taken me a while today but I got there eventually bear_tongue
I will look into bid 4 bears etc but have had enough today of listing bears and learning how to use new sites bear_laugh
Laurie :hug:

Krista, yes you are one of the big guns  :hug:  :hug: so are a few others  bear_thumb

I just want to repeat, for any that are dubious bear_grin

It is a personal choice where to list, this thread is about encouraging and finding alternatives to ebay, to cut the monopoly

Sorry I know I am repeating myself but didn't want anyone to feel bad/guilty/angry if they did list on or wanted to continue to list on ebay  bear_thumb

Brenda....................I think they would pull your auction immediately  bear_whistle  good idea though bear_thumb

Pauline, made quite a few excellent points and having checked Nancy's site, if you want to take part in the promo you need to register for the Holly Jolly Holidays to recieve your promo list price, it has just taken me only a minute to do  :dance:

So come on who else has a spare bear or furry friend that is scared of ebay and would like to try a friendlier site

Has anyone else tried The Teddy Patch, I did read their stats on another post and was impressed  bear_grin

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Krista - I can certainly see why you would continue to list on ebay because of your dogs - you would certainly pull in a different type of collector that way. I remember years ago wanting everything and anything concerning Boston Terriors and found such a variety on ebay.

Marion

Board footer