Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

K Pawz Guest

Well hopefully you guys don't disown me on here, but I have found a recent love for clay....I have skipped the reborning stage and went right into sculpting a OOAK baby out of polymer clay....I have really enjoyed taking my artistic talent and applying it to a different medium, the stress free atmosphere of sculpting is amazing, no fabric, no needles, no thread, just clay!!! and watching these  features come to life is awesome! I promise though I won't post any pictures when I am finished this sculpt, wouldn't want to creep anyone out.

hugs,
Krista

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Promise you will post pictures? :hug:

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

That's totally different  Krista, A OOAK sculpt is ART, and I'm sure there are plenty here would LOVE to see it!  bear_flower  bear_flower

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

Uhhhh....hmmmmm.  I'm sorry but pretending a doll OR a bear is real should be over by the time you are six or seven years old or so.    I was was creeped out  last weekend by a cat and a puppy made from rabbit fur that had a mechanism in it that looked like the sleeping pet was BREATHING....  I'm glad I haven't had to see those dolls... but I'm sure we will see them at the San Diego show in January.  Wow, if I thought the breathing pets were weird...  No nasty emails please, this is just my opinion.

If someone makes a doll that's a talent, but taking them around in a carriage???   bear_whistle

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

I just went on line and saw the reborn process... I have to admit, it is very unique, but as many people have said it is very creepy. I will stick with teddy bears bear_wub

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

OK, in my understanding, a reborn doll is one that is made from an existing doll, but reworked with more realistic details... wouldn't that be like us teddy bear artists taking someone elses bear, and reworking it to make it more realistic??? Is this art or...??? I know it is creative, but it's not really the makers "original" work...is it? Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
Angela wrote:

OK, in my understanding, a reborn doll is one that is made from an existing doll, but reworked with more realistic details... wouldn't that be like us teddy bear artists taking someone elses bear, and reworking it to make it more realistic??? Is this art or...??? I know it is creative, but it's not really the makers "original" work...is it? ? Anyone else have an opinion on this?

No, I think it is quite different from creating an original sculpt. I believe it is much like repainting a fashion doll or even creating a porcelain doll from a purchased mold. Certainly, in order  to do these things well, a certain degree of artistic talent and skill is required, but the creator cannot truly call it original.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Interesting subject....
I create realistic cats as an art form. I'm especially interested in the sculptural aspects of cats and other animals. Realistic humans or animals are not, intrinsically, creepy. IF so, a lot of famous sculptors would be thought of as creepy bear_happy I think the creepiness shows when there are "gimmicks" or "Play Acting" in an attempt to make a piece something other than an artist's representation. But it is a thin line for some people. I guess we have to be careful how we present our art  :doh:
Karen

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

I just watched the Dr. Phil segement on the reborn dolls.  It's like they wanted to push the lady into being an "obessive" type, but even Dr. Phil said that it's not an obsession, it's a hobby.  She said she sees them as an artform, which was really cool. None of the ladies used them to replace a child, or thought that they were real. I thought maybe since it's Dr Phil he'd put some wacky spin on it, but he didn't. 

I don't ever watch Dr Phil, but wanted to check the episode out.  He should have had me on the show, I'm obessed with mohair!  :crackup:

Merry Calliope Redmond, WA

For some reason I became fascinated with the process of making a 'reborn' doll and bought the supplies to do so. I find /real/ babies pretty scary so this came as a shock to myself as well as everyone who knows me well. bear_laugh Once I started into the process I did actually find it very intriguing. To see a chunk of vinyl go from plastic-looking to more and more realistic was fascinating and, quite frankly, a boost to my artistic ego (that is to say...it's not hard to accomplish if you've any sort of basic art education).

I'm slowly wrapping up this project and, if the hair rooting goes well, I'll probably list the doll for sale. It's not really the sort of thing I'd keep around.  bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Perhaps Dr. Phil should go to a doll show and watch these collectors/doll mothers in action before he decides if it's a hobby or obsession! Send him into the ladies bathroom to witness a woman trying to BREAST FEED HER BABY DOLL! Seriously... I kid you not! There are some very disturbed women out there! I know.. there are perfectly sane collectors out there too but they don't stand out in one's memory..............

Melissa... I think the premie babies are at a very critical stage in life and should NOT be recreated, exposed and profited on the way artists do. It's a very frightening and personal time in a mother's life and I can't understand artists having a passion to recreate such a thing. Good for you for posting REAL photos and sharing your story!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I was the last person who thought I would get involved with the re born doll process, but I have and I enjoy every minute of creating the doll. I only see it as a doll and even when it is finished I still see it as a doll and not a baby.

My husband thinks they are creepy as does my son and daughter in law.

I see the doll making, bear making, patchwork, and any other craft I do, as a craft which brings me pleasure and I am thankful to be able to do this, as without my crafts, perhaps I would be walking the streets with a doll pretending it is a baby, as I know from first hand experience what it is to see your baby in an incubator, not being able to touch, and then being told that you are the luckiest girl as your baby is now with Jesus.

My belief is that anything taken to extremes is dangerous and I try not to judge others as I do not know what tragedies have touched their lives.

Lynette

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

That's so true Lynette......

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Now you are all making me worried about posting this picture, but I have shown it before, so here goes.

AngelRebornDollDoodlebears.jpg

This was my one and only go at reborning a doll. I was fascinated about the process, so I had a go at doing it. The doll has fooled people into thinking her real, so I think I got the job done fairly well, but she is now put away in a cupboard upstairs, so what was the point! The work needed to make the 'Dolls' and yes I do only see them as dolls, I haven't lost my marbles completely, is such a long process. I could have done so much more to have made her look real but the mohair was calling and that's why she is the one and only.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
Reborning is just a craft and I know some strange people go somewhat overboard with the dolls they have bought, but somehow I think they serve a need for some people and if they give comfort then I don't see it as wrong...but yes they can look creepy. I have seen some dolls that in my opinion should never have been crafted, others that are so cute that I couldn't help smiling. It's just another of todays things, some love them, some don't. I hope I haven't made anyone feel creepy with my doll Angel.  :lola:  :lola:  :lola:  :lola:  Big hugs and sorry if I have.  :hug:

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Krista, clay is FUN!!!  My sister is into that www.enchantlings.net
Jane, what a cutie  bear_wub  Okay, I think they are a little creepy too, but think some can be cute, like Janes bear_happy  but....there is a line isn't there....between knowing that your doll/bear is a doll/bear, being able to play that they are real as a cute fun thing, (you know, arthur bear is cold, lets put a jumper on you for the winter) but then being able to turn it off, knowing that the bear isn't real, he isn't really cold (okay, I can't help it, my sillyness comes into play again as i insist that he is real and is in fact cold!  lol,)  But seriously, I don't believe it!  Its part of the play and fun of collecting bears etc.) some people can't turn that off and go too far...thats the line isn't it....they believe they are real through and through deep down with no exception...I've seen a lady get cross because my sister asked her a question about her baby boy..."its a girl!!! How dare you!"....Daphne breastfeeding??...

Lyneette, someone actually told you that you were lucky?  Where do they get off?  As a premie myself I had a list of midical issues you wouldn't believe.  Some of the perminant ones actually caused by yhe doctors!  Then they had the nerve to tell my parents that Id never amout to anything.  Before my son was born, They moniored  quite a few risks that thank God never happend.  Dealing with all the fears was not easy but I was one of the kucky ones.  Both of us came through Healthy.Jonathan_smiles..jpg

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Jenn, what a fantastic little boy you have there, he looks so much fun. I miss having babies around...and no I'm not going to give my doll a cuddle...I'll stick to my husband and my dogs.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower

karenaus Melbourne
Website
K Pawz wrote:

Well hopefully you guys don't disown me on here, but I have found a recent love for clay....I have skipped the reborning stage and went right into sculpting a OOAK baby out of polymer clay....I have really enjoyed taking my artistic talent and applying it to a different medium, the stress free atmosphere of sculpting is amazing, no fabric, no needles, no thread, just clay!!! and watching these  features come to life is awesome! I promise though I won't post any pictures when I am finished this sculpt, wouldn't want to creep anyone out.

hugs,
Krista

bear_grin  Krista I find this so funny, because I am the total opposite- I find sculpting (and the many processes that follow it lol) to be SO much more stressful than making bears.
   Karen

Jane, Thankyou.  He is very easy as babies go and we just love him to bits. I can't imagine life without him.

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney
Jellybelly Bears wrote:

Krista, clay is FUN!!!  My sister is into that www.enchantlings.net
Jane, what a cutie  bear_wub  Okay, I think they are a little creepy too, but think some can be cute, like Janes bear_happy  but....there is a line isn't there....between knowing that your doll/bear is a doll/bear, being able to play that they are real as a cute fun thing, (you know, arthur bear is cold, lets put a jumper on you for the winter) but then being able to turn it off, knowing that the bear isn't real, he isn't really cold (okay, I can't help it, my sillyness comes into play again as i insist that he is real and is in fact cold!  lol,)  But seriously, I don't believe it!  Its part of the play and fun of collecting bears etc.) some people can't turn that off and go too far...thats the line isn't it....they believe they are real through and through deep down with no exception...I've seen a lady get cross because my sister asked her a question about her baby boy..."its a girl!!! How dare you!"....Daphne breastfeeding??...

This is the thing Sarah, for all the dolls and bears in the world I'm not bothered one little bit, if people like to have a cuddle, pick them up or talk to either species; it's this parenting- now like Lynette said

I try not to judge others as I do not know what tragedies have touched their lives.

but I've seen quite a few of these collectors now with the dolls and they are not being gentle with them because they are a doll and are breakable, one of the artists actually used the bouncing/dancing on her toes holding the baby to her shoulder, then burping it as a selling tool...."look at her, I just can't help myself! She is just so real" or "This one here is around 28 weeks- this ones size is about the same as a 34 week premmie".
It is the extreme of this style of thing that is off putting. I can tell you from experience though that those who don't make it through that time successfully, don't celebrate the tinyness- they cherish the little time they have.
In the past I've known artists that replicate your baby's length and weight in a bear, or make a representation of a baby with a doll- as many sculptors in the world that have made representations of life....I say good for them- look I took photos so that one day I could show my son what he went through (I didn't put the really early pictures up, they are a bit too distressing), I've got in my collection the most beautifully sculpted fairies and elves- it's not that these things are completely off limits and no one can ever make a doll again, nor pick one up, I don't think that has been suggested anywhere here- it's just the taking advantage of something that can be so painful for some or flaunting what can only be described as extreme behavior just makes me shake my head in wonder.

Mel

PS Jenn, your little boy is wonderful, too cute to mention!!!

Jane, I wanted to tell you what a great job you did on your doll.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Jenn,
Yes this is what I was told by the nuns who ran the maternity home I was in, how lucky I was. My daughter had she lived could have had many problems, who can tell.Today so much can be done for prem babies and they are tough little fighters.

Jenn, I often remember some of your comments in TT when you were carrying your little one, they always made me giggle. What an adorable chappy he is.

Sarah, I am reporting you to the teddy bear association, how can you make him wear a jersey when he already has so much fur and we all know that the poor thing is already hot living in Australia.

Lynette

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I've seen something about this on the tv recently, people treating their dolls like real babies, changing their nappies, singing to them and stroking their hair etc....a lot of the women in the program were unable to have children, or had lost a child, but I still think it can't be healthy emotionally.  I'm all for collecting dolls, but..... bear_shocked

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

The difference between reborns and straightforward baby dolls is that the reborns are sold as kit 'blanks', with no painted features, hair, etc.  The skill is in bringing the doll to life - 'reborning' it, by painting realistic skin tones, even mottling and milk spots, and inserting eyelashes and hair.  To me it looks like making highly realistic film props.  I think the term 'Reborn' came from the original hobby of taking an existing vinyl doll, stripping off the paint and modifying the doll to create something more realistic.  The whole thing has become way more sophisticated these days and the choice of models, paints, etc is mind-boggling!  They are not my cup of tea, but, like many of you, I appreciate the skill involved.
Hugs,
Christine

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

Clare, I watched the "My Fake Baby" programme.

It was the first time I saw these dolls. I think that the dolls look really good, but they freak me out because they just look too life-like.

Board footer