Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Thea-MillyMe Milly Me®
Website

I know the world of reborn babies a bit because I create and design clothes for reborn babies. I am not a great doll collector but only have a couple of them, mainly because of the clothes size and to see it they fit well.
There are great reborn artists that can create beautiful reborn babies and they can make a lot of money (2.500 dollars!!). Sometimes more than a doll artist that makes the OOAK baby.
Nowadays the doll kits really explode..........much too much in my opinion. It has been a great evolution the past 3 years.
I have been visiting some doll shows and I cannot say that I'm attracted to preemies. I've seen real sad things. Couldn't believe my eyes sometimes......I've seen My Fake Baby too and a program about it on the German TV. But is not my cup of tea. I can't say I'm that dolly mad!!

Some bear artists start to make reborn dolls and vice versa. I'm from the vice versa.
In the Netherlands we have a big doll and teddybear exhibiton every October in Rotterdam. One hall with teddy's and one hall with all kind of dolls.
The last two years I was mainly looking at teddybears. I was attracted by the theme's, their faces etc. Teddy's have a lot of character. And since I am totally mad about fabrics and also have a creative mind with a lot of ideas.......so it was not difficult to deceide to make a teddybear some day.
When you make teddies you can create so much more........
I followed a class this spring and since then I became really addicted to teddybears.........well a lot of you know what it feels like I suppose. lachen.gif
I'm a beginning bear maker and so far I really love it. It is quite a challenge. But I also love to design and create clothes for reborn babies.

And here is one of my little models, who still is a doll in the way I look at her:
DS20-006-10-sm.jpg

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I watched the 'My Fake Baby' programme a while ago, too... I'm amazed at the techniques that these artists use, and I believe that it is a craft to rival our own in its own right, but like so many of you have said it only take a few 'bad apples' to spoil it for everyone else bear_tongue  I remember feeling really sorry for the lady who brought up her grandson and got the doll to 'replace' him... but the woman buying designer clothing for the dolls? The one telling her husband off for calling them dolls? Too far for me bear_tongue  Ditto for the premature babies- what's next?  Genetic disease baby?  Forceps baby?  We don't make 'rabid bears', after all!

I think all too often the people pushing the dolls around in prams, pretending to have real babies in there, are looking to draw attention to themselves... like bears, I personally think it should be about pure appreciation of the craft and the individual plush you have in front of you...  I find them admirable in terms of the craftsmanship, but I feel about as fond of them as I do of real babies! XD

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

skin23.jpgThea, that baby doll is very cute but the preemies are a bit disturbing.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

The doll above me looks like a first tear sculpt.  Two different artist can take the same sculpt and make it thier own.  I love this one.

Cathy Forcino Apollo Beach, Florida
Website

All I have to say on the subject is, if I ever get a doll that still has a crusty belly button I may go plain stark raving mad.  Well, EWWWW :crackup:

I think I'll stay with bears.  They are cuddly and have no scabs.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Cathy Forcino wrote:

All I have to say on the subject is, if I ever get a doll that still has a crusty belly button I may go plain stark raving mad.

HehHeh.  bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Kathy...

crusty belly button

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

So funny, thanks for that I needed a good laugh.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Cathy Forcino Apollo Beach, Florida
Website

Ha ha.  Glad I could bring a smile.   :crackup:   

Now, don't get me wrong. I love dolls.  But, dolls like teddy bears should help us escape our reality, not bring more reality to us.  We need the good without the bad and crusty belly buttons aren't good. Hey what's next - poopie diapers?  Um hmmmm

Thea-MillyMe Milly Me®
Website

Hey what's next - poopie diapers?

donald-1.gif donald-1.gifdonald-1.gifdonald-1.gif

Oh no leave that to my little newborn nephew!!!!!!!!!! That will do........!!!!!!!!

What's next............I've seen reborn baby gorilla's already!!!!!!!! nachdenken.gif

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I'm sorry I have to agree with you guys.  The crusty belly button creeped me out too.  I  couldn't stand it in reall life I don't need it on a doll.

Board footer