Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I'm astonished too to see so many highly educated people on this board, but why shouldn't there be? So I'll come out of hiding too and admit that I too hold a PhD in biology. I took it in animal ecology, but have since moved on to animal systematics, which means I get to discover and describe new species and study their evolutionary history. I work at Sweden's largest museum, one of the ten largest naturals history museums in the world. I don't work in my home country of Germany, because there are no jobs back home. I've lived in Sweden for ten years and the situation in Germany got worse all the time. Getting a permanent position in science today is like winning the lottery. I consider myself extremely lucky that way, although Swedish salaries are really embarrassing.

Sophie, hang in there. Look for jobs internationally. Science is a very tough profession and I really hope you will find a good job. Try to acquire some additional qualifications. For me, computer skills opened the doors. Without that I would have had to leave my scientific career as I couldn't get a postdoc grant and did not have enough experience for a senior science position. Find something which few people can do and which is in demand.

Best of luck

Sabine

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Good advice, Sabine!

Is it just coincidence that the PhD's so far have been biology related?!!! I have a theory (discussed with colleagues a few times!) that science is, or can be, a very creative process. So maybe it's no surprise that some of us have a science background  :).

I don't think about my qualifications too much these days - they opened a few doors and closed a lot of other ones in terms of jobs. I enjoyed my last job (in Industry) but can honestly say I'm much happier now, raising my daughter, looking after the family and making bears! And the education I had equipped me for life in many ways, not just in terms the subject I studied. I might go back to it sometime....but not for a while!  bear_happy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Helena and Sophie.. I think you are this boards best kept secret!  How wonderful to see such a range of backgrounds that are tied together through our love of bears.

There are no boundaries or stereotypes or prejudice when it comes to the love that is shred through teddy bears.

Maybe the world would be a better place if it were run by bears...and a few gollies thrown in for some excitment.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow . . . I'm in awe of all you PhD ladies!  I come from a scientific background (medical technology), but didn't get any further than a bachelor's degree.  Did a little post graduate work (12 hours) in psychology, but when I couldn't go any further until I took the GRE, I backed out.  Women back in the dark ages weren't encouraged all that much to get advanced degrees, so I commend anybody who does go further with their education.  Good on all of you!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

shantell wrote:

Wow...so much brain power.   Does it count that I worked at a college for 13+ years   bear_wub  bear_wub

It all counts, Shantell.  But as we all share the common bond of teddy-bear-obsessed-creative-type-i-ness, I don't think anyone here is "counting" at all!  There is equality to be found in peer groups sharing a common interest.  Would that the whole world could operate in the very same way...

bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wooohoooo  Okey dokey Sophie, the fingers are crossed again.  How nice to be able to walk into a position that you already know and yu know the personell as well. 

I used to tell new nurses to give themselves at least 6 months before deciding they love or hate a job. 

It can sometimes take that long to learn the politics and who you can and can not trust etc.  And you never know....dAd must have been happy with you the last time to call you back, and many times part time developed into full time.....

so you have my best hopes for you and your future....

Dilu

I went to college twice.....but that was only because you really couldn't support yourself and raise a child very well on music.

So I had to figure out really quickly what kind of job would be recession proof, inflation proof, be needed through downsizing and buy outs, that could travel anywhere in the US, and would never ever have trouble finding work.

I forgot to factor in stress levels the permenant damage chronic stress can level on the unsuspecting human body.....oops

bear_tongue

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I wasn't expecting to meet so many biologists on this board!!! Very interesting... so in germany too, this is getting hard to find a scientific job... Oh dear! It is really getting tricky! Actually, I am keeping an eye on UK too in my job hunting. but the situation in UK seems to be the same as in France!!!
Well, I am not desperate yet. i will try to open new doors and investigates other areas.

Oh, by the way, the first time I worked at the SHOM, it was not the same kind of work as I will do if I can work with my dad. the first time, I was entering orders for marine books and maps into the computer. I guess that with my dad, I may have to help classifying books and journals; maybe searching key words, etc... What is pleasant too in the SHOM is to see people in navy uniform  bear_tongue  :whistle:. My dad is civilian.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Sophie   

I should have done a PhD in teddy bear making.

Does that give you a qualification in ...Perfect Head design, or maybe perfect HUG desgn?

Only joking!  :lol:

Congratulations with your test Sophie. I think your command of the English language is very good.

Jane.  bear_flower

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I just want to jump in here, I KNOW I'm late - please accept my appologies Sophie !   I thought this topic was another funny English test or something!

Goodluck Sophie on both fronts - I am really hoping you get at least one of these jobs!!!!

Danni

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Danni, you are forgiven, honey! :hug:

Helena, i love your new avatar!!!!!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I think Shelli has a good point-no matter what we 'did'  or 'do' in our alternate reality we are all equally loving and obsessional regarding our bears and GOLLIES
can't forget the gollies.  The bears comfort us and the gollies make us laugh. 

WHAT A GREAT REALITY!

Personally, and in all honesty, I like my alternate reality so much more, and I did love being a nurse, especially the last 10 years when I got to muck around in the mind.  Which always fascinated me.  Ever since I was a kid and Charlie Manson did his thing a few miles to the west of us- I had to know  WHY. 

Guess what....in 40 years of asking WHY, I still don't know, nor do my previous peers.  And still I study.

I've come to the conclussion that some people, thankfully a very small percentage, are just inherently evil.  but what a downer.

Lets play teddies.  :lol:

bear_tongue

Board footer