Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

I just ran across a description of a bear that stated it was not needle felted, but it was needle sculpted. Is needle sculpted the same as thread sculpted?  I'm a little confused with all of the terminology. Thanks for any clarification. bear_smile

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Robin,
I would say that I would consider needle sculpted and thread sculpted the same technique.  I would consider both these techniques to take a needle and thread and make the eye socket or pull the bridge of the nose in.  Maybe lift the corners of the mouth to give it more of a smile and puffy cheeks. 
Donna

teeeej Brisbane

When you needle sculpt you use a strong piece of thread and take stitches in key parts of the bear. This allows you to change the shape of the face  i.e. pull the eyes closer together or creat eyebrows. Needle felting uses wool roving and sharp barbed needles. You literally "felt" the wool onto your creation.

Johannesburg, California
KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

maluki7.jpgRobin,
Love your work! Here's an example of a needle sculptured piece using only fabric.

Johannesburg, California

He's beautiful, Karen! I've always been a big fan of yours, too. bear_wub

Board footer