Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Mt-St-Helens.jpgHi all,
This is Mt St Helens, the mountain that blew in 1980.  The volcano is dormant at the moment, but it occasionally wakes up and gives us quite a show.  It's always putting out a smoke plume, as seen in pic.
I took this photo just 5 miles from my home, here in Washington State.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

My what a beautiful sight!! :)
Lucky you to live so close to such breathtaking nature.
I remember when it blew in the 80's. I guess living close to it then wasn't such a great thing but I guess that's the price you pay to be near such beauty! :)
Thanks for posting.

Pacific Northwest

You're right, Cyndee, the volcano devastated the area.  Ash was everywhere.  Homes were destroyed.  The forests up there were gone and the lakes became large mud puddles, filled with debris.  It was eerily beautiful.
The forests are returning and the lakes and rivers are slowly clearing.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

So beautiful, I would be scared of living so close though. Isn't nature wonderful, how the area is recovering so beautifully.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

What incredible beauty the world has.  When it became active, how far did they evacuate the area?
Joanne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Gorgeous scenery!  I, too, remember when she blew and was wondering how long it would take for an area to recover from that kind of devastation.  It's totally beautiful now.

Pacific Northwest

It is indeed totally beautiful now, Sue Ann.  Mother Nature took on a huge task, to restore the beauty.
Only a very small area near the base of the mountain was evacuated, Joanne.  They had no idea what was about to happen.
Chances of another such explosion are low to nil.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

That's good to know. :)
I didn't remember homes being destroyed but once you mentioned it I Googled it and quickly remembered seeing people covered in ash and all the devastation. bear_sad

karenaus Melbourne
Website

ahhh how lovely! Is there snow on top for most of the year?
I have to admit- I'd be so nervous living so close to a volcano bear_cry

Pacific Northwest

Yes, Karen, the mountain is snow covered all year.  By late August just the peak (or what's left of the peak) is usually just covered.  But it starts to snow again in September, when the whole mountain gets a dusting.  Then tons of it!
We're more concerned with earthquakes than the volcano wakening.  bear_cry

karenaus Melbourne
Website
danceswithteddybears wrote:

Yes, Karen, the mountain is snow covered all year.  By late August just the peak (or what's left of the peak) is usually just covered.  But it starts to snow again in September, when the whole mountain gets a dusting.  Then tons of it!
We're more concerned with earthquakes than the volcano wakening.  :cry:

oh how lovely, snowy all year bear_wub
yes earthquakes are no fun either lol... we have had several round here lately, just little tremors but when they are happening they dont feel little do they!:) I bet you get them very regularly.
You live in a lovely part of the world,  Washington is such a lovely state- I still remember how breathtaking Mt Rainier was... big mountains are something we don't have much of in Australia;)

Karen

Board footer