Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
puca bears wrote:

I got a second place - I should be really pleased, but I'm rather upset about the whole thing..........
I was told last week that my Black bear (my current avatar) would be moved to the DRESSED category because of his "do not feed" sign.
I have ALWAYS tried to stick to the rules of a competition, but it seems they can be interpreted in more than one way - to my mind the bear IS undressed. If this matter had come up right at the beginning, and certainly BEFORE the bear had been nominated in the undressed category, I would have just withdrawn him from the comp - perhaps I should have done so last week ....ho hum........
If I had  a bear in a DRESSED category, and got beaten by an UNDRESSED bear, I wouldn't have been best pleased - so I feel really awkward and embarrassed about it all.
Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid especially as this comes on the heels of the total disappearance of my Taiwan comp. bear, but I'm just left feeling upset..........and I always thought that competitions were FUN!
On a brighter note - HUGE congratulations to everyone - it's lovely to see so many friends amongst the winners! And such GORGEOUS bear - well done everyone :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
And big thanks to Olive for taking my bears in..........I KNOW you are lurking out there - come in and take a bow!
big huggies
Maria

Dear Maria

I have only just got in after returning from Hove, so have only just seen this. I am so sorry that you have been upset. I am also very glad that you did not withdraw your piece. It was a great piece to have in the competition and it was well deserving of the award it got.

In the BBAAs, the bare bear may not have any clothes, accessories or props of any kind. Or to put it another way, nothing may be displayed with the bear that could be seen to enhance it.  The sign with the bear was seen to be an integral part of the piece and therefore it was moved to the dressed category which is any bear with clothes, accessories or props.

Please don't feel awkward or embarressed about it. The only other way around it would have been to have displayed him without his sign in the bare bear category. We felt that would have been a real shame, as it would have taken away the inspiration from the design. The criteria for judging is not based on the intricacy of the clothing or accessories but on the appeal and originality of the design.  There have been many award winners in the past in the dressed category whose bears just have one or two accessories or props.

I hope this clears things up for you and you will now enjoy the award you have got.

Best wishes

Dawn

puca bears puca bears

KAREN
thanks for your comments - I appreciate them!
big huggies
Maria

puca bears puca bears

Thanks, Dawn
I finally found my copy of the rules, and I think you and I will have to agree to differ over our interpretations of them, as they are written.
I  don't want to sound ungracious or petty, but I still think this matter should have come up earlier, and certainly before the nominations were announced.......I WOULD have withdrawn the bear, as I still feel that he didn't belong in a Dressed class.......
"spilt milk" and all that - it's done and dusted, and it's time to move on........
hugs
Maria

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Dawn if the judging is only being done on the bear then what's the difference if it has a prop? In most all other competitons props are allowed as long as it is being sold with the piece.  I know I would have been shaking my head if I had seen Maria's bear in the "dressed"category at the show. It doesn't enhance her piece at all it's part of the piece.

Anyway going to bed still shaking my head  :crackup:  :crackup:

hugs

Shane

Pages:

Board footer