Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Ok, I've been sitting back and reading all the Wish List entries everyone has been putting out there for consideration.   There is no possible way to have that many categories for a competition, I mean we would have like 30 categories. Did anyone ever stop to think what the cost would be to the magazines to do this, the cost of all the added pictures and publishing of them. The extra cost of the awards for all of those extra categories, THEN people say they want the price lowered for entering the competition. Seriously why dont' we just bankrupt all of the magazines now, based on the information that Maria posted all of the comps are very close in price a few dollars here or there but they are close. I mean with the German ones I do believe one of them I have to send my bear to the show, well for me to do that (if I get nominated ) will cost me a couple of hundred dollars to get my bear there and back. So that comp is out of my league. I understand that this is just a brain storming session and these are "high wishes" but we do have to be serious about this. We can't possibly have a category for just dogs and just cats and frogs and rabbits and chickens and god know what else.  It's just not possible, I understand and agree with Paula that there should be a category for Classic bears, Vintage Bears and Contemporary bears.  I can see separating them out into their own, but I think for the other animals there should just be one category. A dog is a dog and a cat is a cat, this is not a dog show or cat show you are being judged on the design and the work. Otherwise we would need an expert judge to judge a classic bear and another judge to do the contemporary bear and so on.

Sorry I don't mean to go on and on but just reading this post it was really getting out of hand with with people want, I understand that TBR wanted some idea's but wow. 

I could just be in a grouchy mood too  bear_grin   :crackup:  :crackup:

Hugs

Shane

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Hey Shane, didn't you see that several of us suggested for animals that they compromise by having a breakdown in sizes - like they do now in bears dressed and undressed. That would only add one or two more prizes depending on whether they went 6 inches and under and 6 inches and over or if they kept to the 3 size categories they have now. Making a section for Classic, Vintage, and Contemporary bears - with I assume the same size breakdowns as now - and what about the dressed and undressed??? - could add TWELVE categories!!!!! I don't think that is going to be feasible either.
I am sure everyone is just throwing out ideas of what they like, knowing that not all of it will be possible, but just in their excitement that the idea of a change is being offered.  bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I agree Edie, I think we all know that all of our suggestions are not going to be added. but the more options we give them, the better the chance one or two might actually make the cut  bear_grin  Oh, and Shane, aren't you just a grumpy guy in general  bear_tongue   (just kidding  :hug: )

hugs,

Brenda

Waterloo, Ontario

bear_grin yes Brenda you are right I to tend to be grumpy heehee. It was just funny reading everyone's suggestions and how big the list was going. That's why I said the wish list was getting kinda big, I know everyone would like to have more categories, I guess I was just getting confused with everything that was being thrown out there. I hope I wasn't coming across as some old kermudgeon (sp), wasn't meaning to sound old and grumpy. The categories do need to be revamped I totally agree with that, was just trying to put things into perspective that's all. It's a tough decision that the magazines will have to make, and if one magazine doesn't make a change then it's comp will be left in the dust.

hugs

Shane

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Shane,
THe only change I mentioned was making two categories for -Others. Let's face it, they are getting A LOT of Others entered in just one category. Small and Large Others I think would help. But, again, I think the sponsors would know what categories need revamping by looking at the number of entries trying to get into each category?

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I think the sponsors would know what categories need revamping by looking at the number of entries trying to get into each category?

That's exactly it, Karen, and no matter what each of us throws out there as to what we like to see, the number of entries in each category SHOULD point the way for what needs changing!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
edie wrote:

Hey Shane, didn't you see that several of us suggested for animals that they compromise by having a breakdown in sizes - like they do now in bears dressed and undressed. That would only add one or two more prizes depending on whether they went 6 inches and under and 6 inches and over or if they kept to the 3 size categories they have now. Making a section for Classic, Vintage, and Contemporary bears - with I assume the same size breakdowns as now - and what about the dressed and undressed??? - could add TWELVE categories!!!!! I don't think that is going to be feasible either.
I am sure everyone is just throwing out ideas of what they like, knowing that not all of it will be possible, but just in their excitement that the idea of a change is being offered.  :)

Actually, I was thinking they should make the contemporary/classic/realistic catagories instead of the size based catagories with the exception of miniature bears under 4 inches which would need it's own. My breakdown idea posted on the first page of this thread  (post #7) makes good sense, and makes 19 catagories which is only four more than the current 15.  I didn't add cataories for additional animals though... I am sure I am biased about this since I am a bear maker foremost and it is the Teddy Bear Review we are talking about. :redface:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

So then would you only have ONE category to enter miniature bears in, Tami - cutting in half what we have now! Miniaturists also make classic, vintage, and contemporary teddies so it would not seem fair to cut them out of those classes and not really fair to judge them against a 24 inch bear either! But again I think a lot of this WILL depend on the numbers of entries they are getting in each class.
Another thought here - if they create a "realistic" class it could include all critters - not just bears - that shouldn't be any harder to judge than a realistic class with all other animals except bears!
Again just throwing out ideas here - and not trying to step on anyone's toes!  bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Just a thought, but realistic doesn't always cover all creatures as many bear artists like to create more whimsical, character based animals.

As regards size, I can't see (with the exception of the miniatures) why size is so relevant to bear competitions - surely large and small bears can involve just as much work and appeal as one another?

Waterloo, Ontario

I agree Paula when it comes to size, when being judged by just a picture there are lots of times I would have no idea exactly how big the big is based on the picture.

Just a thought, but realistic doesn't always cover all creatures as many bear artists like to create more whimsical, character based animals.

I think what Edie was saying Paula was people make more than realistic bears, they make other realistic animals. The realistic class would not take into account Whimsical or character based bears that would fall under the contemporary category.

hugs

Shane

Milford Ohio
edie wrote:

So then would you only have ONE category to enter miniature bears in, Tami - cutting in half what we have now! !  :lol:

No, there would be three, one per each division.

edited to add: I absolutely agree that any revamping shoud take into consideration the number of entries per catagory. But we don't really have any way of knowing that, only the magazines do.

Milford Ohio
All Bear wrote:

As regards size, I can't see (with the exception of the miniatures) why size is so relevant to bear competitions - surely large and small bears can involve just as much work and appeal as one another?

This is what I am trying to say too.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Yes, that's what I'm saying, Shane!

Still not clear what you're suggesting, Tami - if the three is the regular, Masters, and Manufactured - that is really only spot for an artist to enter a miniature as they couldn't enter all three! Or am I missing something? Unless miniatures could enter in the vintage, classical, realistic, etc. - but would they have ANY chance in the judging there - it is MUCH harder to get the same kind of detail on a 2" bear as on a 24" bear! Or were you suggesting a size breakdown in each of these new suggestion categories only for miniatures and then all other sizes together? - but that would add a LOT more categories than just 4 more - see I am confused!  bear_wacko

Milford Ohio
edie wrote:

Yes, that's what I'm saying, Shane!

Still not clear what you're suggesting, Tami - if the three is the regular, Masters, and Manufactured - that is really only spot for an artist to enter a miniature as they couldn't enter all three!   :wacko:

Sorry to be confusing!  bear_flower Yes that is what I am saying. Those three spots. But now I see what you are saying because then the miniature artist would only have one choice of catagory, instead of the two which they now have miniatures dressed and undressed! I guess I'd add the dressed vs undressed distinction for the miniatures back in then. I wasn't thinking that it would be any hardship to only have one catagory to enter since I typically only enter one bear per year (last year and this year being the exceptions--last year I entered two and this year none!) And as my bears are contemporary, I'd only have one place to put him as well.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Tami,
TEchnically a contemporary bear artist could fit into three categories -undressed, dressed and vignette. Actually much more if you create different size contemporary bears. Up until they allowed a vignette to be other animals(in the past you always had to have at least one bear in a vignette), Other animals truly had only one category they could enter. Now we have two if the artist creates a vignette.

Milford Ohio

Hi, Karen,
I guess I am just not being very clear  :redface:   Sorry. I meant that if these new catagory ideas which I proposed in post 7 inspired by Paula's ideas were put in place that I'd have to enter my bear in the contemporary catagory. If one is only entering one bear, there is always only one catagory which your piece fits the best, and if you have a typical size or style you work in, you end up always chhosing the same catagory each year, no matter whether the catagories are by size, or animal type or whatever. I suppose there is no way to do it to please everyone. (Glad it's not my job.)

On another note, I had not realized that Vignette or Tableau catagories had to have a bear, but then again, we are talking about the Golden Teddy Awards sponsored by Teddy Bear Review. Maybe they will have to rethink the whole focus of the magazine since there are so many amazing soft sculpture artists out there creating different species.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Tami, You're doing a great job! You're keeping the discussion going  bear_thumb It is complicated, and there are so many different ways to look at it. I'm sure if TBR stepped in they'd have a lot to say about our suggestions. I think it helps everyone understand the broad scope of our art form and that's Great!

Board footer