Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I was contacted by a lady wanting teddy bears made from her daughter's debutante dress and her own wedding dress. I suggested she might consider a mohair bear dressed in fabric from those special dresses (sent bear pics) but she's definite that she doesn't want furry, she wants smooth. I'm not comfortable cutting into her special dresses since I've never  tried that before. Anyone have any such experience or anyone who might know someone? Thanks.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I would recommend not making them from the dresses. We did 13 bears a couple of yrs ago from a blanket, it was awlful to work with. It was very time consuming and it was difficult to work with, hard to do up seams and do jointing and such. I would recommend doing furry bears and dressing them or making blankets out of the dresses to sit on. The dresses will not hold up I can tell you that now, they will be far to delicate and the fabric will not last. She will basically be throwing her money out the window and then she will be coming back to you because her bears are falling apart. Even if you line the fabric it will not last. Just a word of warning. I know it's a lovely idea, but when your the bearmaker/artist you will know better than the client and you should tell her as well what will happen.

hugs

Shane

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Oh, I agree totally.  Dresses for the bears would be so special though!  Perhaps a velveteen bear?

Karon Posts: 751

I agree with Shane - I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!!  It may be OK the fabric was velvet but if it was satin or something like that you best out.

ALWAYS following your gut feelings where commissions are concerned - stick firm!

Karon

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I have made bears from clothing before. It is not easy. I do not use joints when I make them, I use my 'baby-safe' patterns without joints. The joints in fabric just don't look good. These pictures are of bears made from my Dad's Bathrobe and golf shirts with a vest made from his hand-made knitted sweaters. Good luck with your project.

Ellen Dad_robe.jpgdad_1.jpgdad_2.jpg

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I think if you were to make bears out of the dresses, line the bear parts with good quality muslin. This gives it more stability when sewing and the seams are protected when stuffing. Just like when we sew with real fur. Oh and fray-check it too.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I still don't think they would hold up Michelle, just trying to stuff them would be a real pain. I could understand if they were velvet or something like that but I don't think these dresses are. I think there would be major complications no matter how much muslin you used the fabric will not hold up. 

hugs

shane

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions. I really did try to get her to go mohair and dressed in the dresses but she is firm and knows what she wants. I'll continue to look around for the right person for...just don't think it's me.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I did make another bear out of a fancy dress....yes, lining the material with muslin or cotton helps tremendously!
Ellen

Board footer