Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

honusms Fort Worth, Texas

Please forgive the BIP (Bear-In-Progress) pics, but I really want to know what the experts here think I'm working with.

I'm a brand new bear maker, but I really like working with real fur.  This one is from a coat that was listed simply as "Vintage Fur" on eBay.  There was a label in the jacket that said "Made in Argentina", so perhaps it's nutria?  but it doesn't have the long, coarse guard hairs I've seen on other nutria coats.  These guard hairs are short, uniform and sort of waxy-feeling.  Any and all guesses are welcome!

Mystery-Fur-001.jpg

Mystery-Fur-002.jpg

I think it gives a very realistic bear look, so I made it up in Nancy Tillburg's "Antique Bear" pattern from her 101 book, although enlarged 25%.  (And yes, I adjusted the seam allowances accordingly.)  Lots of fine-tuning and adjusting yet to do, but I think he's a very personable fella.

Sue

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

You would be very close with saying it was Nutria, I do believe it is beaver though. Nutria is related to the beaver family. That would be my guess just from having a quick look at the pictures.

Nice job by the way with the bear, came out very nice.

big hugs

Shane

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I just want to say I like the bear, too!

Becky

Thanks, Shane and Becky!  Whatever the original critter, it's making a nice bear.  (Not as wild and wooly as the raccoon one I made a few weeks ago, although that one's been refined since then.)

Here's Beaver Bear (working name) with a little trim and an attempt at some needle sculpting:

Mystery-Fur-004.jpg

And a bow from the jacket lining.

Again, thanks for your input.  I can use all I can get!

Sue

Waterloo, Ontario

I'm gonna stick with my original answer Sue, seeing a close up of the fur it certainly looks like beaver. Beaver usually has a wonderful sheen to it. Just be careful when you do needle sculpting, we have found that the skins don't like to be sculpted to much  bear_grin  they tend to be very tender on most skins. He's coming along beautifully though, the linings always make nice bows.

Keep up the good work.

hugs

Shane

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

A very beautiful bear,  Whatever it is I love the fur.
Joanne

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I'm thinking beaver, too, along with Shane.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Nice work!
Nutria (to me) has always felt like the finest, silkiest of nothingness!
This looks as though you'd feel the slightly firmer guards hairs, yes?

Yes, the guard hairs are fairly thick, but shiny and soft.  I'm going to send a swatch of the fur to Nancy Tillberg for her opinion.

Thanks for the kind words about BB.  He's one of my favorites so far.

BTW - I'm taking Nancy's "Designing Teddy" online course this month.  It's exactly what I hoped for!

Sue

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

I'm going with nutria...  Beaver is my second choice though!

nutria-coypu-xxx483.jpg

Waterloo, Ontario

Nope I'm sticking to my guns on this one lol, I still think it's beaver  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

We know our beavers here in Canada  :crackup:  :crackup:

hugs

Shane

I sent a sample to Nancy Tillberg and here's what she said:

I got home from the police college and celebrated Easter with the family, and have just opened my mail this morning. I've got the fur sample that you sent.

I'd have to say that it's Nutria or a mutation thereof.
1. The backing is light and slightly spongy, typical of the South American animal.
2. The guard hairs are a golden shade, and very coarse; typical of the Nutria. However, in the swatch that you sent me, most of the guard hairs have been shorn away, leaving only short, golden hairs. These would have been much longer on the animal.
3. The fur is not as dense as the North American Beaver.

Regardless of the exact species of South American Beaver, I am certain it is not the fur of a typical North American Beaver.

So, there's nothing like having your hands in it!  I'm designing a pattern this week for a bear from another (for-sure) nutria jacket - long guard hairs and all.

Sue

nealabear Teddy's Treasure Chest
Toronto

I have a nutria coat that I made into bears and it looks very similiar to what you have here.  I would say nutria is what you have.  When the longer guard hairs wear off this is the look you are left with.  It makes beautiful bears and the under fur is sort of waxy and very soft.  The guard hair is coarse like any other beaver but once it wears off and this often happens with vintage coats what you are left with is what you have here. Hope this helps

Board footer