Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Karon Posts: 751

Had a most amusing morning chasing after an escapee hamster.

I have only had her a couple days and was trying to "tame" her.  She was allowing me to stroke and pick her up then suddenly jumped about two foot in the air, landed on the floor and scarpered. 

For the following hour or so it was a matter of crawling  on my hands and knees (a painful experience under the circumstances!) around the carpet, moving bears (LOVELY nesting material bears!) and furniture.  Every time I went near her she was off again.  I shut all doors and cubboards found a suitable container and ... waited.

I have embossed wallpaper on my walls.  Guess what ... I spotted her trying to get behind a radiator and climp up the wallpaper!!  I then got the container underneath her and gave her a VERY gentle tap and she fell in, put a piece of cardboard over the top and transfered her to her cage.

Had it been my dear little chap that has just died I would have just picked him up, he was so gentle - if I had made a grap for this one I think I would have ended up with a hammy hanging on the end of my finger!

I have always had a hamster as a pet - when one dies a just replace him or her.   Well thats not strictly true I have also had a rat (pongy things rats).  I love hamsters best, they make very amusing pets. 

Lots of people say they are aggressive, I've never had a bad one - having said that I can't remember having one as twitchy as this one.  Taming will have to take place in the bathroom or hall I think.

She is just about the most prettiest thing ever, long haired white with the palest beige head and I call her Daisy -she looks like something out of Walt Disney.  Luckily the cats aren't interested in hamsters - the hamster is kept in a seperate room though.

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

I love hamsters too,  :love:
we had lots as children, well they were really my sister's.
Please be careful if you do let it out in the bathroom, thats how we lost one of ours!

I was about 14 and my sister was 12, it was the summer holidays and both parents were at work.We decided to let the hamster out on the bathroom carpet....big mistake. She found the tiniest of holes in the floor, right where the water pipes came up at the back of the sink and made a dash for it. She had disappeared before we could do anything. There then followed frantic searches for tools in the garage with which to get the floor boards up and tearful phone calls to parents, who could obviously not drop everything to rescue a hamster.

I would imagine that somewhere in the cavity walls of that house there is still a little tiny skeleton  bear_cry unless somehow she survived and managed to escape into the wild.

So do be careful.I am sure you will soon manage to tame your little friend

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Gail , what a sad story, but I can relate to that. there were many times I was sure that would be the fate of hamsters we owned. It was not but still.

I love hamsters too, but am afraid to own another. They have such short life spans it seems compared to cats or dogs, and I become so attached.

All the hamsters we had were escape artists, but they didn't jump out of my hands for me to follow. They snuck out in the night, so we'd be looking for them days at a time, hoping our other pets (the feline variety) didn't find them first! Our first cage for hamsters was one of those cute wire ones with multi level places for them to crawl and colorful tubes to attach more fun stuff. I watched in amazement when one hamster used his tiny hands to open the latch! The weirdest thing was when one hamster got stuck in a toy Hummer of my son's. He got out in the night and he was stuck in the drivers seat as if he'd been trying to make an escape by car!
We had to take the car apart with a scewdriver to rescue him. I was quite upset at the time, but when we had him safely out I realized it was kind of funny.

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

When our kids were young we had hamsters.  We even got into breeding and selling the teddy bear hamsters.  They are so cute but sure are escape artists.  We had a dog at the time too and she would always be the one to find them.  She wouldn't hurt them but just let us know where the little guys went.  Many a day was spent crawling around the floor and looking under furniture, down floor furance registers to find where they went. bear_grin

Karon Posts: 751

I would have LOVED to have seen that hammy open his cage latch with his hands - and they say hamsters are not bright!!

Yes I take on board that bit about the holes for the pipes in the bathroom.

My hamster is also a "teddy bear" hamster, as was my beautiful black one who recently died (he was very fluffy) and very big too, as in chunky and heavy.

Board footer