Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I will be 32 next saturday.  I got married 7-17-04.  I went from 108 pounds to 130 pounds since my wedding and I hate it! bear_angry  I am five feet  two inches tall.  I need to be careful how I go about this though because I actually did drop down to 90 pounds several years ago and I  was borderline Anerexic.  Jenn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Sue Ann,
Please count me in !   bear_grin
I need to loooooooooooooooose weight and
need a little pressure for my self.....  bear_whistle

I will weight my self on 01JAN06 and send a PM
to you.  :hug:   

Hugs/Marie

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_whistle  Even though I need to lose weight, I've decided to ditch the idea of actually focusing on it.  I've tried that ..repeatedly, and only set myself up for disappointment/guilt etc when I didn't/couldn't lose the weight.  Sooooooo...instead I've focused on eating healthier.  I got started last week on Dec 16th, after the last family dining out together.  Knock on wood, so far, so good.  I'm eating much healthier meals and snacks, getting more veggies, and different ones than I usually eat.  For my meats I'm having salmon, shrimp and lobster (yum!) and for breakfast, eggs from my very own buff orpington ladies.  Oh yes, and I do take vitamin/mineral supplements...but I do that no matter what I'm eating.

I KNOW I need to start in with my exercise routines again.  I LOVE my Balance Ball  bear_wub , and have great fun with the workouts.   Plus the more advanced routines are  challenging to say the least.  I've got to take great care, and focus on what I'm doing, or I end up eating the carpet!!  bear_grin   Seriously, it is a lot of fun, and just sitting on the ball challenges a lot of smaller core muscles you usually don't use. 

Aside from my Balance Ball, I also have a Bowflex machine.  Its much like doing free weights without the worry of having them drop on you ... yes I'm a clutz  bear_wacko   You'd think I'd look buff from all the exercise, but no....I usually don't.   bear_sad

I will say last year's resolution worked very well for me.  I skipped the whole deny focus, and instead decided to work on my penmanship which had gotten lousy.  I can't say its where I want it to be, but I think its much prettier now.  I'll have to keep working on that one!   bear_thumb

Best of luck with the resolutions!!!   :hug:  Here comes 2006!!!  :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I run a slimming club after losing 70lb (5 stone) and I have kept it off for nearly 7 years. I get really busy in January as you can imagine, BUT by mid February where have half of them gone? Make small changes that you can keep, not the all or nothing kind of thing. Best to do the small changes than big ones that seem to make you lose weight but then you can't keep them up. Good luck everyone, hang in there!

Deb Upstate New York

SueAnn ~

Thank you for posting your intentions!  I'm in.  I'm formulating my plan ... I think I'll try to take advantage of Nathan's (my son) interest in Health & Fitness.  He just changed programs in college, and also just started participating in weightlifting competitions.  I don't see weightlifting in my future, but some strength training coupled with diet and cardiovascular exercise will be a good thing I think.

My health, my pride, my attitude ... all would improve by dropping off the pounds.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Some good points here..... I'm thinking that rather than concentrating on the scales (which CAN be a good motivator OR cause discouragement and a trip to the fridge for ice cream!) I'm just going to focus on eating better and exercising. The weight will just come off naturally and I'll at least feel better if nothing else. But that 30 pounds WILL come off. It's kind of like the 'watch pot, never boil' saying. So, I'll weigh in on Mondays only. Imagine my surprise and elation when I find I've dropped a FEW pounds once a week!!!  :dance:  Is it January 1st yet??????????

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

SueAnn,

I don't feel any pressure...perhaps just sitting back watching all of you will help me too.  I'm just a terrible diet person...always have been always will be.  I am however going to make myself spend a little more time on the treadmill...although I suppose walking on the treadmill while munching a handful of fritos is kinda silly...which is what I did last night.  bear_original

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Okay, Sue Ann, count me in too. My fiancee and I have already been talking about eating healthier. That should be pretty easy because we really prefer the tastes of healthy things opposed to junk food. I love pretty much all veggies and fruits. The problem is I get a little lazy about the cooking so we end up eating frozen dinners more than we'd like.  So I think if I can start planning better, I will be more successful. So resolution #1 will be to plan and make healthier meals.

And I need to lose about 10 lbs. too. I was so nice and thin before I got pregnant. I was a vegetarian for 5 years prior to my pregnancy. Then about 3-4 months into my pregnancy I started craving meats. I took this as a sign from my body that my baby needed something more than what I was giving her. So I started eating meat again and I went crazy!! I gained 55 lbs. during my pregnancy!! So, she is almost 3 now and I still haven't lost it all. Those extra pounds are hanging around my waist and I look like I'm still carrying a wee baby in there! So, resolution #2 will be to exercise and get that waist back!!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Losing weight is always on the top of my to do list. Yet it just never seems to happen. I did drop 40 pounds about five years ago, and still down 20 of that. I need to lose weight just to feel better. My daughter and I have decided to start a new program for the new year and she is going to help me work out. ( Good Kid)

I have been fortunate with this year as I have been sick most of this holiday and haven't indulged in much of the Christmas goodies. I feel happy about that but still feeling sick to the stomach today.  My house has had a bit of cold/ flu going on so we are all laying low.  We did have a good Christmas though.

Love,
Kathy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

BEARS-DANCING.jpgHi friends.

What can I add to the topic of excersice.........a body in motion tends to stay in motion...a body at rest tends to stay at rest.

I hate the word excersice too.  It sounds too much like work.  But if you think of it in a fun way.....like dancing.  My hubby and I Ballroom dance on a regular basis.  It burns up so many calories, is fun beyond explaination, keeps us connected, and keeps us feeling great, looking young, and over all well being.  Exercise is crucial to my health (Daphne, I know you can relate) being diabetic.  I tend to get lazy around the house.  I would rather sit and sew than go on my lateral thigh trainer...which I bought after watching an informercial.    Since Mark and I only dance on Fridays...I want to increase my exerciseing.  He bought me 10 pound hand weights....gggeeessshhhh..does he want me to be Arnold Shwartzaneger (SP?)...I mentioned I wanted hand weights...so I got them!  I started using them already and I feel really good.  Exercising also releases endorphines (the feel-good hormone) in your brain.

I think it is a very good thing to encourage each other..so get off your hinders and get moving!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Jazzyfran  you are so special  what a perfectly lovely thing to do.....
I wish I could win but with only ten pounds to loose I wont be the big looser, or should that be the big winner?  But I am rooting for all of you ladies who want to loose more and have a chance! 

Shantell, I love that you are going to reconnect with your spiritual self.  That has been something that is on my list as well....to go deeper. We are inherently spiritual beings anyway....why else would so many religions exist and have existed since mankind began?   I think having our spiritual lives in order is crucial to healthy living.

Welll the hubster went looking for Chocolate today......he was surprised it was gone

EXCEPT

I forgot about the stuff from Germany, it came in an insulated box, one of those styrofoam boxes.....and we left it in that because with the wood stove things can get pretty heated up in here.....

He laughed at what we are doing....in a good way..... and said he didn't think I could get my night time meds down with out my Snickers Minis.

Marie--we call it snickering here.....still..... bear_wub

but he wishes us all luck as he eats the last of the German goodies....

cute huh?

dilu

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
     Sue Ann, what a fabulous idea.  The support in this group is the best I've ever felt.  I need to loose a lot of weight, but I'm like Shantell.  The minute I feel I "have" to do something, my brain finds ways to sabatoge it.  I did find out there was a name for it, when I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit a few years ago - it's called "oppositionality".  Really - there's is a name for it!  So, like Shantell, I want to participate, but it will be on my own terms - no postings for me on a regular basis, but I will definitely let you know if it's working or not. 
     I have a lot of problems with my sicatic nerve in my left leg, so walking has been out for me.   A few years ago I started doing some simple Pilates and it really did make a difference, but I stopped after I felt better and eventually it came back.  Our lives are crazy now, trying to clean and get the house ready for sale, but once my hubby leaves for his new job, January 23rd, I am going to schedule one half hour for my pilates exercises and this time, I won't stop when I feel better.   I have bronchitis right now, anyway, so I want to get better first.  Good luck to everyone!

Bear hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks to all of you who have joined the challenge!!  I really hope it will prove to be helpful to all of us who want to change our lives for the better.  What I suggest is that each of you keep your own records of your weekly progress and post your numbers each Monday ONLY IF YOU WANT TO.  This will be a very laid back, no pressure type of challenge.  You eat and/or excercise the way that suits you . . . there won't be any real guidelines for you to follow.  I just want us to cheer each other on when we succeed and support and encourage each other when we're only treading water.  My thought is that it's a little easier to accomplish the difficult when you have company along the way.  So, good luck to us all!

nettie scotland
Website

Good idea to start a new year full of good intentions.
I used to be a power lifter and also did long distance running.I still do 40 mins of stepping every night and I walk my dogs for two hours every morning.I eat sensibly most of the time but I am still 14lbs over my ideal weight.I have knee pain because of this.I lost it all last year by eating in tune with my body.I read up on it all and it worked.I put it all back on during a rather stressful period but I am going to take it off again.
You only have fruit up to lunch time and eat nothing after 8p.mThe rest of the time eat sensibly and enough to not be hungry.I took off the exta stone in six weeks and had to really binge to put it back on.The plan works as you don't interfere with your digestion by adding hard to digest food before the body has dealt with the day before.It is that simple.All fat is digested and not stored.It is easy sensible and healthy.I had loads of bananas and grapes for brekkie and this was enough even with my two hour morning march.A big lunch normal dinner then nothing after eight.Was easy peasy lemon squeezy!!!!It is a holistic eating plan from edinburgh university.
I am 140 pounds today I will report back a week after new year as I have loads of fabby stuff to eat in the house first.
I am 5'4 but still have way more muscle than most .I am approx 14lb over ad will hopefully shed it in 6-8 weeks.
Good luck to you all.Try not to dwell and eat lots of fruit and drink at least eight pints of water.I used to coach weight lifting and this was my standard advice.
Diane xxxxxxxx

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Please include me as well. I'd like to lose the 40lb I've put on in the past 2 years. I've been a member of the Y for 3 years but don't go as often as I shd. I vow to become a gym rat in the New Year and to eat healthy again. I don't like dieting but I know from experience that if I eat properly I will lose the weight.

Marion

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

although I suppose walking on the treadmill while munching a handful of fritos is kinda silly...which is what I did last night.

Shantell....this made me laugh out loud!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Sue Ann...I'm in too! I have piled on the kilos in 2005 and am at least 15 kg (30lbs) overweight. It has started to affect my health now and I just feel like a stuffed turkey! Nothing fits...I'm back in the "Trackie Dak Brigade" (aka sweat pants) and my self esteem has plummeted. I have become a bit of a recluse as I hate people seeing me like this.
I really wanted to get stuck into losing it a few weeks back, but what's the point of losing weight just before Christmas? I knew I'd gain what I'd lost and then be back to square one. I'm so hopeless though....hubby is all for giving all the chocolate away now...but I say no way..that's MY chocolate and the diet will start when it's all eaten.  bear_ermm Of course I know that by doing so, I'll probably have even MORE weight to lose!!! I get into what I call my self destruct mode.  :twisted: It's kinda like a personal argument with myself y'know...."You don't need to eat that!"...'Well HAH!!..I'm going ta eat it anyway! Try 'n STOP me!!!"
It's just crazy! bear_wacko
It seems with me, I'm an all or nothing kinda girl. If something motivates me to lose the weight....nothing will get in my way and I will get to my goal weight. But once I lose it...it's not long before I'm back in self destruct mode again and I don't stop until I've put it back on again. The sensible thing to do of course is to lose that two kilos you've gained straightaway....but alas...I am not sensible! bear_sad
I am finding too that it's harder and harder to find motivation to lose it. I have a husband who loves me no matter how much weight I am carrying and I tell myself I don't care what people think. But I do miss out on things I used to love, like going to dances (I look disgusting in a dress!!).
I have my first show in May 2006 and this is providing me with at least SOME motivation to lose the weight. I don't want to be trying to hide behind my stand!
I know it's stupid....we shouldn't let our weight govern our self worth, but for me, it's definitely an issue. I don't judge people on their weight...and many ladies whom I adore are overweight. I should learn to apply the same principals to myself.  bear_happy  When I am thinner, I smile more and particpate in life more and am far more self confident. This alone should be motivation, but who understands the human brain....so complex. bear_ermm
Apart from the physical side of things, I am struggling at work with the extra weight. I am on my feet all day and by mid afternoon, my feet are screaming. The other day, I carried a 15 kg bag of flour inside from the car....and it blew me away just how heavy it was. So that's how much extra I am making my poor body carry around every day!
At least in winter you can cover up with big clothes....we are now in our summertime...and I'm suffering with tight clothes that look yuk. I know that as soon as I lose that first kilo or two...the difference in how my clothes fit will be enough to get me going.
So bring on Monday and weighday! bear_thumb
I am so glad to have you all working at it beside me...we can all cheer each other on!
Fran...what a great offer..thankyou! :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad I think I'm carrying the equivalent of a large sack of dog chow around my middle--count me in!

Eileen

Deb Upstate New York

Most everyone seems to have 15-30 pounds to lose.  My goal is a little more aggressive.  Anyone with 50-70 wanna PM me?

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Deb,

Me too!!!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Arrhhhhh thats my news years resolution to get fit again and lose some weight, but I just don't have the motivation, its so hot here at the moment. I am trying not to eat so much.   What do we need to do?

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I have been thinking of 2 things I need to do in 2006. The first is to loose some weight. I have a Total Gym and was using it last year, but didn't feel like it was doing anything for me, so I stopped. I will TRY to work on it again. I enjoy walking my dog, except when it gets into the negative temperatures, which most of January will be.....I will join this challenge and try to eat healthier and get more exercise through the year, hopefully with all of your support, I will keep at it this time!  bear_flower

The second is to quit smoking! I have tried before, and even though my hubby agreed to help me, we went to camp and he had the smokes there, so I started again. This Year, I WILL NOT SMOKE ANY MORE AT CAMP OR IN THE CAR OR AT HOME IN THE GARAGE (I have never smoked in the house, in the car but I do in the garage at home)  :redface:

The one thing I did quit this year (and I hope I can continue) is I stopped biting my fingernails......It all started when I had my right arm in a splint for 3 weeks....the nails are getting longer, bother me some, but I am DETERMINED to keep them!

Wow, 3 bad habits to break at once......I will be checking here for support!  bear_original

Have a Happy New Year everyone.....enjoy the last few bits of chocolate and other soon-to-be-off-limits-food............
Ellen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Funny_catLionMirror.jpgLadies.  No matter how much wieght anyone looses...please be happy with who you are. 

Just before my sister was killed a year ago she had put on weight and was very deeply unhappy with herself.

This photo of a kitten looking into the mirro was on a card that I sent her just before she died.
It read inside:

"What matters most is how you see yourself."

I would take all her weight and put it on me if I could have her back.

nettie scotland
Website

I agree with the sentiment Judi.I can sympathise with the loss of your sister.My brother died 14 years ago and I still miss him everyday.
I think losing weight to feel healthier and be happier with yourself is fine but expecting a whole life change after it is silly.I know so many people who put off going places and doing things till they lose weight.Meanwhile life can pass by.
I am not particularly overweight but I was many many years ago and know how depressing it can be.I look back and regret the year I spent beng miserable about it.Luckily I was able to work it off with sport and have never been that overweight again.I think finding an activity is preferable to dieting as the adrenelin helps your mood as well as the activity burning fat.Finding something you enjoy is the hard part.
Good luck to us all.I may take a before and after picture if I am brave enough!!!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I grew up being called a toothpick.  After having children I had to really watch it or I would gain weight.  My diabetic doctors told me not to loose any more weight or my body mass index would be too low ( I never knew you could be too thin).

After I had my second child I obsessed about loosing weight.  I am 5' 8 1/2" tall and weigh 130-135 pounds....but I thought I needed to loose weight. When my husband said I looked "too skinny" I took that as a great compliment.  I stepped on the scale several times a day.  I got down to 120 pounds and my hair  started falling out.  I had five bald spots the size of quarters on my scalp.  Did I freak out!!!???  On my..did I ever... I went to a dermatologist who injected steriods into my scalp (which also threw off my blood sugars for two weeks).  Once I put back on about 10 pounds things went back to normal....and I stopped obesssing.

Why do we do this to ourselves. bear_cry

Now I try to eat healthy and only get on the scale once a day.  I would like to loose five pounds (are we ever really satisfied????).  I have started lifting hand weights and I feel good.

I wish you all success and I hope everyone will continue to encourage each other.....please don't think I am preaching...just don't loose sight of that lion in the mirror. :hug:

Board footer