For artists and collectors sponsored by Intercal...your mohair supplier and Johnna's Mohair Store
Am trying to get fuzzier, scraggly looking muzzle on my 5cm miniature bears and have tried rooting in some merino and mohair........problem is the backing fabric of the Sassy is splitting and making holes. I would imagine this technique would work better if my bears were made with mohair, but i 'd like to continue with the longpile velvet. Does anyone have any advice for me please?.
Are you using a #40 needle?
You may want to add some wool over the muzzle and root into the wool. I mean loose wool which you would needle felt on.
If you are using a very small needle I can't imagine why it should split?
May I assume you're using a felting needle and wool fiber?
Punching into the same place multiple times will shred the backing: cotton isn't very strong.
Some of the newer napped fabrics for miniatures have backings of other than all-cotton (polyesters and the like included)
Even not-so-new, as the old Malden Mills plant put napping on some backing that wasn't all cotton. it had the white woven grid but was the backing is thicker and has a fuzzed-up appearance. I always thought that it was intended for upholstery that was to receive extra hard wear.
Do you know how Joanne uses the napped pile removed from mohair fabric? The only thing I can think of is to place these tufts into the muzzle by needle sculpting them in place: sew out through the spot you want the tuft to appear, loop over the center where it's *bent* from being woven into the mohair fabric, sew right back into the same hole and pull the tuft just under the surface.
You could even put the TEENIEST touch of glue (GRRRRIP or Quick Tacky) at the base of the tuft just before it enter the muzzle and direct it backwards a bit (if you want!) and hold it there for a minute or two until it sets up, so they don't stand straight out from the muzzle on the sides(unless that's what you want!)
Exit on the other side in the next spot you want a tuft to appear and do the same.
Continue to alternate sewing tufts into each sides until you have all of the hairs in that you want. Then take a single-bladed razor blade and using the corner tip of it, lay the ends of the tufts over a thick rag (to protect your fingers of the table top) and gently ease it over the ends to cut them 'scraggly'.
Many thanks to you for responding. Sorry it took me so long but i had trouble finding my own message!!! Tells how new i am at this messaging business. Yes i have been using a 40T needle, but i guess because i'm self taught and just experimenting i have been stabbing too many times in the same place and therefore splitting the backing of the longpile. Also as my bear is only 5cms it is a tiny area to pierce so often.
The only info i have been able to find online is from Joan's blog at Desertmountainbear...... And thank you so much Joan for so generously offering advice freely.
I thank you rkr4cds for the comments about needle sculpting the mohair in with teensy stitches. I never thought of that and i imagine it will work very well. Will keep you posted.
Sorry it took me so long but i had trouble finding my own message!!! Tells how new i am at this messaging business.
Yep, we all had to learn how to navigate when we first join, but this is the easiest to follow of all of the forums I've joined!! I suppose you've found this option now?
At the bottom of all of the posts in every topic is this option - Subscribe.
This sends you an email every time a new post has been made to the thread - then you won't have to look for the topic in the long list of GENERAL topics.
When I spot a thread I want to follow, whether or not I post a message in it, I immediately click 'Subscribe', just so I can read all of the posts in it.
aha that is so great to know. Thanks very much!
The only thing I can think of is to place these tufts into the muzzle by needle sculpting them in place: sew out through the spot you want the tuft to appear, loop over the center where it's *bent* from being woven into the mohair fabric, sew right back into the same hole and pull the tuft just under the surface.
Bobbie, and Joanne, you have just solved my bald patch dog problem!!! It was one of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments. I've just added some tufts of hair in this way to my yorkie's face and it looks so much better. I used a very fine beading needle and a single strand of pure silk and it worked really well. It's amazing the new things I have learnt here.