Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

beary_clairey Luton

I think maybe some of you guys need to agree to disagree.

Quite frankly I have a bear that I love and when I see him my heart lifts. I think he has a moulded muzzle that is covered with fabric that was probably glued on.

I don't care!!!!

He's so gorgeous and makes my heart sing!! So long as he is with me until I pop my cloggs, that is all that matters!!! And right now he must be at least 15 years old as he is second hand yet he looks as perfect as the day he was made.
He was also made by a very famous Bear Artist !!!!

Hugs to you all and may peace reign across the board !!!

Claire

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  :hug:  Shari, you silly sweetheart, bear_wub

You were the innocent victim. You caused nothing.

What a wretched way to spend your birthday! But it'll be the start of much better things, I'm sure.

Eileen

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY
thumperantiques wrote:

On one rare occasion, I bought a bear from a shop because I loved an artist's bears.  Then I exhibited near him at a show and by the end of the show I had made my decision to sell it for lots of reasons - I didn't want it in my collection, but that's just my personal eccentricity.

The very first real bear show I attended as a vendor was such a remarkable experience.  I had several people who just wanted to chat with and get to know the new artist.  They wanted to talk about their lives, their troubles, and how much bears meant to them.  Women told me about crying into their bears over this event or that one, or talking to the bears for the little things.  After this had been going on for several hours, I had a woman stop and talk to me about something very similar to what Brenda said above.  She had bought an artist's bear that she just couldn't resist, but did not buy directly from the artist and actually had never met her.  She had looked forward to coming and meeting the artist at this show.  She told me that as soon as she met this lady in person, she didn't like her enough and didn't want the bear anymore!  I thought that was fairly amazing at the time, but now I understand the strong relationships many collectors want to feel to the artists.  Sometimes they really have to like and care about YOU as a person to want your bears.  I don't think I've ever seen a bear collector make a bear purchase with absolute detachment, as you might see from someone ordering a hamburger.  Bears speak to their heart, and they buy what they fall in love with.  There don't seem to be many who bypass a bear because of the presence or absence of a particular materials, but there are collectors who will bypass a bear if they don't like the person who made it.

I also wanted to say that there are several posts on this thread that really struck me for their heart-felt compassion and professionalism.  Those are the things that make me proud to be a member of this community.

:hug:
Kelly

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Shari,
You had no control over the direction this thread headed in, you have no reason for apology.  You are not going to learn and grow if you do not ask questions.  That is how we have all gotten to the point we are today.  And it is always much better to have someone you can turn to for advice and guidance than trying to work through all the problems on your own.
Last night as I was watching the thread progress I was worried about you.  I had a sense that something was wrong.  I don't get these things very often but when I do, it freaks me out.  I am glad to hear that the Dr. has your condition figured out and that things are moving forward for you now.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  You take care of yourself and do as the Dr. says.  We will all be waiting to hear how things go.
Bear Hugs,
Donna

Deb Upstate New York

Shari ~

Just take care of yourself and don't let this upset you.  This thread is a blip.  You'll come back from surgery and we'll still have people using glue and not using glue.  We'll have blips while you're away, and we'll have some more when you return.  You didn't do anything, or say anything wrong. 

Just take care!
:hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shari, we need to convince your hubster that you will heal better and faster with your friends around you.....yup....that's us....and it is true.  You will heal faster....gotta move the computer.  And you truly will feel so much better after the pesky surgery!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Also, like I told you before, you are one of the innocent bystanders here...Please please dont take anything but that as your ownership.  We each own our own posts, and I appreciate all the TT that added humor after the car slide...

Truly, our goal here at TT is to support a congenial atmosphere to allow for a free exchange of ideas.  So now, since my hubby is working  will have to settle for schnapps and ice tea, the hot tub and the chocolate.  sigh.... bear_original

dilu

Deb Upstate New York
Dilu wrote:

settle for schnapps and ice tea, the hot tub and the chocolate.  sigh.... :)

Settling?  In my world, that isn't settling.   bear_grin  :hug:

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Whew! ...Wow, things happen so fast..all this while I was away yesterday.....I just read the whole post.. I am amazed at how fast something can turn into being a  major disagreement which really as was said... should only be an ... opinion.

With all the different types of ARTIST  bears being created now days...many are a far cry from the mohair Stieff.

Shelli mentioned the darling thread bears....no mohair fabric  here, errr maybe sometimes....but then some are half & half.

How about Anime, certainly out of wack shapes there... . that shoots the average accceptable  bear proportion scale all to heck.

Needle felted snozzes....face parts...ears...wheres the mohair fabric? You say; It may also be underneath???...isn't that odd?

What is in your bears mouth ? teeth ??? What on earth, how did you do that , are they cloth ? Fimo !!! What's that ?   and are they sewen in ? What do you mean yes and no?

I can't figure out what you did to the feet pads...can you please explain what those toe bumps are made out of? Are these real claws? Don't you know it is sick to steal claws from road kill ?

This bear makes creaking noises...I don't remember hearing Steiff bears make that lind of noise.

Glass nose ??? Why did you use  glass nose, can't you embroider ?

Hey...I usually see artist dolls that have  beautifully tinted colored cloth faces...now we have Artists bears with mohair tinted faces too. Yes!

Wow...wonder how Lulu gets that leather to stay on the face...I am sure its not just sewen, its a secret I hear...so unusual, what a great artist.Are you sure this will be acceptable at a bear show.You say she can't make them fast enough to sell?

That artist guy, whatever his name is...you know the one who invented the " quizzy" joint..( the face can go in circles) ...then he went onto make totally weird bear animals from wild colors, many with wings with wire inside  and called them  TeriBears or something..I don't really think he will be able to sell those...do you? They are just so far removed from the Ted Bear..too weird.

I know of  a bear artist that is starting to do half  pressed molded bear faces...you know she sizes them with glue to make them stiff then uses acrylic paint to paint aboriginal faces on them and she glues toenails onto their feet... she needlefelts wild hair onto the head ..oh my gosh she uses so many  different materials how can anyone keep up with what should be correct or not correct  for making artist bears?

Did you hear that last year on Ebay  one of her SYNTHETIC oil tinted bears went for $ 16000. !!! And that wasn't the first time either...Her stuff always sells for so high. Why ??...That's easy to answer, because her bears are so ARTISTICALLY DONE  , she creates works of ART that is DIFFERENT THAN THE NORM ...whether she uses recycled, synthetic or mohair ... IT'S HOW SHE USES IT and THE UNTRADITIONAL MATERIALS  to get what she is striving for...in fact, now this is only my opinion but...

I believe the very definition of any kind of  artist is to use anything and everything  he/she wants at their disposal to get the effect for the statement they went to make in with their ART. Most artists are very conceancious about using the best materials and want their art to last as long as time will let it ....and   if it gets some wild feed back well...then, they will remember you... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Winney

White City, Oregon

YEAhhhhhh !!! ((((((((((((((((((GROUP HUGS FOR EVERYONE INCLUDING KELLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HUG ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) !!!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thank-you girls for all your support, your kind emails and your best wishes for my "birthday" surgery. You all mean the world to me and I will miss you all very much!   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Shari,
Just read this posting - I do hope that your necessary surgery progresses well and that your recouperation is swift - I know your family will take care of you but along with others in TT I send positive thoughts and wishes for your speedy convalescence
:pray:  :hug:
Anne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shari, I was out of town for the weekend, as the end of this thread grew, and just want to send lots of warm thoughts and prayers for a smooth surgery and a very speedy and fast recovery! 

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow, like Shel, I hadn't read this thread at first as it wasn't a topic that applied to my work at the present. Then I wondered how a discussion on spray adhesive could become 3 pages long!

My eyeballs got dried out by the end of page two so I haven't read page three but think I've read enough to know that Shari's question was so innocent, deserved a simple answer and we all got more than we bargained for. I'm afraid Kelly's post made me want to go right out and slather a bear from ears to toes with glue just for the heck of it!!  :twisted:  Ha!

I definitely have bears that I hadn't bought from the artist in person and, upon meeting the artist either wanted MORE of his/her bears or wanted to run right home and put his/her bears on eBay and get rid of them. (OK, so I got a little ways thru page 3!)

How we present ourselves publically (including on boards like this) effects our 'image' and what people will think and feel when they see our bears.... just something we should all remember and the lesson I learned from all of this!!!

Can we have a group hug? Though Kelly packed up her toys and went home I think there's enough love left among us to fill in the gap!  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:  (Yup, me being the peacemaker again!)

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I second that and I think we should put Shari in the middle so we can all hug her.  Poor thing probably still doesn't have the answer to the question she asked LOL!  How are you making out with the bunnies, Daphne?

Shari, I hope your surgery goes very well and you are back with us in no time at all - we will all be thinking of you, so come back as soon as you are up to it!

Hugs,

Brenda

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Anne, Shelli, Daphne and Brenda,thank-you for your thoughts and well wishesfor my surgery. We are very hopeful for a good outcome and I will be better than good on no time!! :hug:   :hug:

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Dear Shari - I just wanted to add my very best wishes and thoughts for your surgery and good recovery. 
Sending you a big bear hug,
Catherine

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thank-you so much Catherine  :hug:   :hug:  and to all that have sent thier best wishes about my surgery and sent PM's ,love you all!!  bear_wub   bear_wub  :hug:

White City, Oregon

Kelly didnt go home...see her last post above ? Lets send out a love message to everyone and " TEDDY PILE "!!!! for  a FUZZY  group hug !!!!....Winney

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Good grief!  Do people here actually think that I was the Kelly referenced on this thread?!?!  Please don't hold me accountable for someone else's comments.

The Other Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Your last post was lovely and community-building, "other" Kelly; I think so, anyway.  I appreciate you so much!

ScottBear scott's bears

Best wish's and a speedy recovery to you my dear I have been in your spot befor and you will get thru with support and family and a few Bears to Chat with allways helps !!!
BearHugs
Scott
(wisper's underbeath NO GLUE !!!)

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thank-you Scott for your kind,thoughtful wishes  :hug:  Hugs to you also bear_wub 

(whispering underbreath.... I only wanted to spray a little tiny bit on to stabalize the lining, not glue a whole bear but I'm listening  bear_grin )

White City, Oregon

Oh my...yes...lookie...there were 2 different Kellys...so sorry Kelly from Canna Baer Paint...that did throw me for a moment....I went back a re read all the posts and it wasn't YOU...it was a Kelly  lady from Colorado Springs.

Now....I can see why her good advice rubbed everyone wrong....it was  not what she said but the WAY  it was said. As we have seen before ,when artists give tips ... one must realize that no one artist's way is set in cement and " RIGHT" for everyone and judging eyeryone else's bears as "  inferior " is not acceptable anywhere...

Altho using NO GLUE is basically good advice overall  ...there ARE some good applications where it serves good common sense to use it.....like for tackings ,  temporary holdings;

For  the muslin lining in a bear...research has  shown that acrylics do not break down very well at all ( like plastic bags) and hold their color indefinately so far as known ...on  all surfaces, even fabric.

I glue my leather noses on with LEATHER WELD onto real fur bears...( pelts are the same kind of material...leather )  I got that tech. from a very well known published  artist...except after I glue it on..I llso ladderstitch it on.

Sizing of wool felt as for dolls for molded faces...again these are later stitched on at the outer edges...glue is just the stiffner.

Fairy wings.... would be difficult to make  without the use of some glue to fabric/ wire.

I am sure you all can think of more applications. I would hate to be the one who made the bear that had the face fall off....glad someone brought that up....Yikes !
I tend to agree with Scott...to first basically  use your needle as  Ted creating is mainly a soft sculpture art......

Except I must..and I  am compelled to  go one step farther...Teddy Bear  art is evolving so fast and now uses  many many more materials  and techniques than when it first started....new ground is breaking all the time ...and the rules haven't caught up ... that is the way art is in all mediums..that's why they call it Art.....it invents itself anew with each artist's manipulation of the materials....a different creation.
The only real rule here with materials is to test them out for your self or they may do it for you later....lol...like case of the falling face...horrors.........Winney

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I was only after the post about lining stretchy fabrics  bear_sad  way to heavy for me on a Saturday morning but all I say is 'each to his/her own'. The last I heard the goverment had not passed any laws on using glue on bears. Do what you feel comfortable with. Now wheres that post?

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

BLIMEY!!!!!!!!

bear_shocked

Board footer