Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I thought I would start a new topic as for the last few months I haven't sewn a single bear.I find that during the summer months I just can't seem to get in the bear making mood.With the long light evenings and summer weather I find that being an out door kinda person I can't  sit myself down to do bears when I could be out on my bike or walking the dogs etc.I find it so much easier in the winter when it is dark earlier and cold outside to make my bears.It makes me wonder whether I am losing my interest in my bear making or it is just a seasonal thing and when autumn returns this will all be forgotten when my work table is covered in bear bits lol !
Am I the only one who finds this?
The question for collectors is do you find you buy more bears in the winter months when it is cold and dark outside and or do you look all year round and buy a bear whenever you see something that you like?
Laurie

Kayleigh Bungalow Bears

I'm with you Laurie in that when the summer months come I spend less time creating bears than I do in the winter months. It isn't that I'm losing the love for it I just take my time and do things at a much slower pace. So one bear may take me longer to finish than it would when it's gloomy outside. I think in the UK and with it being so unpredictable just how long the sun will stay shining I try to make the most of it, plus with a little one who would live outside if he could I don't often get to sit still for a minute.

From a collecting aspect, it's scattered, in the winter months when I need a little pick me up I may add a bear or two and I probably spend more time scanning the net for bears but with a birthday right in the middle of summer there's no better excuse for a bear buy for me bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, good - I'm glad I'm not the only one! bear_original

As much as I love mohair, it's much more appealing to work with it when it's not extremely warm and humid outside. And then there's the way my summer social schedule seems to fill up...(can't complain about that! :rose:)

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I work year round, because the bears help pay the bills.  I am finding though that I do seem to be more productive in the summer.  While the rest of the northern hemisphere is enjoying the beautiful days of summer, it is like an oven here.  I do not go outside, only in the morning and evening.  Once summer is over the weather is so perfect and I do more outdoors.  So for me, yes, it does have to do with the time of year.

I would really like to know from collectors if there are certain times of the year they buy.

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

I sew all year round too, as like Joanne it has to pay the bills, I do find though that my best sales are in the winter/spring months, sales drop in the summer, as I think a lot of people try and enjoy more time outdoors instead of inside looking at the internet.  Also there is holidays for people to enjoy.

Pauline x

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
Laurie wrote:

The question for collectors is do you find you buy more bears in the winter months when it is cold and dark outside and or do you look all year round and buy a bear whenever you see something that you like? Laurie

Laurie, I can say in all honesty that for me the seasons don't have any influence on my desire to adopt a new bear.   Fall and Winter are of course great periods for cuddling up with your bears on the couch, but Spring and Summer when the garden is in full bloom are great for picnics or just relaxing with a long cool drink in the company of a few bears.
So unfortunately for me, the teddy virus does NOT go into remission during the summers months.  bear_grin

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

The only part of my creating that is effected by the season is what I make. I tend to make more wintry coloured or fluffy bears and animals in colder times and shorter fur bears and animals when it's hot. It does depend on what I feel like making, but I do love to make "snuggly" kind of bears and animals with longer fur etc during colder months. It's winter here now and I'm currently working on a snuggly "asleep" wolf pup which I believe has been partially inspired by the weather.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I think from a collectors point of view, in the summer they're usually saving money going away on holiday, so they have less spare cash for 'extras' whereas in the winter they can spend more freely.  Saying that, I'm making my first bear in months for a collector right now, go figure!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well I have always been told that things go quieter in the summer. The only thing for me is that I notice less fairs on the calendar. I love to sit outside and sew in the garden in the summer ( that's not happening this year!!) so I tend to be even more productive in the finer weather since while it's warm I sit out late and sew.
But it isn't summer all over the world so to be honest I have not noticed a big dip. I notice generally that bears that might usually sell very quickly take longer but I think that's a sign of the global economy being a bit tight.
I changed my plan for making bears and though I still make some big ones I do tend to make more smaller ones instead of less large  pieces which can be pricey and aren't on very many peoples shopping lists in this difficult economic climate. However that said, there will always be people who do want to buy big show piece bears so I do try to mix it up a bit!

Board footer