Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Help! I have no idea how to needle felt onto mohair. Do you clear all the fur from the intended area? What size needle would I need to use and what is the best wool etc? I really am a duf head as far as this goes but sketching I came up with a real cute looking bear that has needle felting incorporated into it. I know some of you have experience with making needle felted items and I would really appreciate any help. :)

Jane

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi Jane. Well i am sure not a expert on needle felting. I have needle felted some bears but have never worked with it and mohair. Needle felting needles are different from any other type of needle. They come in different sizes and have little barbs down the sides. The wool or felting is tiny strings of fiber. I would suggest checking out a local craft store for the products but as far as how to incorporate the felting and mohair I am afraid I am of no assistance. (BOY, I WAS A BIG HELP HUH???:P:P)

Hugs Louise

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

OSCAR_2RSZ.jpg  Hi Jane,
I have been needle felting onto mohair since Aug of last year.  It is a time consuming process but I am really having fun !

You need to cut the mohair short in the area where you want to neddle felt.  I start with a larger needle and work down to the finer needles as I finsih with the finer details. 

The pictures posted here are some  examples of my needle-felted-onto-mohair bears.

I will be teaching an on-line course for needle felting onto mohair bears at North Country Teddy Bears  www.northcountryteddybears.com

I will be covering all the steps from start to finish including all the shading and details.  The plan right now is to have this class ready for the end of July.  I will be designing a bear just for this course and will be incudling a pattern for the mohair bear. 

Keep an eye on NCTB !
orlandoCU.jpgBO_5a.jpg

Louise is right on with the needles!  Edingurgh Imports has a very good starter kit which has all the needles and some white wool batt.  I am not sure if Intercal has these same supplies???  I need to check it out!

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Jane,

Good Morning. I felt faces and paw pads quite a bit. Shave the area you want to felt - if felting a solid base. I use a size 40 T for this. I find this needle goes through the wool, the mohair backing and the stuffing easily. I do at times use other sizes but I like the 40 T the best. Hope this helps. The critter to the left - his face is felted as well as his paws.

Neysa

Board footer