Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Hazelwood Crafts Hazelwood Crafts
Kent
Website

Has anyone tried needle felting a bear with a growler inside? I've managed to make a bear with a little pouch of steel shot in her tum and now I want to make one with a growler.
My first problem is finding a small growler as they all seem quite large.
The next thing will be how to wrap it up inside the body so it doesn't get muffled or full of fluff.
I thread joint my bears so that might be a challenge too.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome

A
Xxxx

Olgitta Plushyk
Kyiv

I make my teddies of various fabrics, so this is only what I've heard from my friends who knit their teddies.
First, it might be really a problem to find small growler, I have not seen smaller than 40 mm wide yet. If you find smaller - please please please let me know bear_original 
You'll have to wrap it with some very thin fabric to prevent filling or wool stuck into small holes on the growler.
It might also be a good idea to make it jointed with special cotterpins and disks.

Kent
Website

Thank you Olgitta, I love your bears especially Antoine with his sewing machine.
I'll let you know if I find a small growler. Wrapping it up with fabric would work I think.
I've never tried to fit cotter pins into a needle felted bear but there must be a way. So that is my current challenge then - a needle felted bear with a growler and cotter pin joints.

A
Xxxx

Olgitta Plushyk
Kyiv

I wish I could tell you something more specific bear_original I'll ask my friends, if I get something - I'll let you know.
Meanwhile, I wish you luck with this experiment! And can't wait to see the result bear_original

Elli Posts: 102

Here is what I would try: sew a body of fabric a little smaller than you want it to be, then put the growler (wrapped in thin fabric) inside and stuff firmly around it. This makes a good base to needle felt the outer layer. I think thread jointing should be possible if you use a round needle and stich around the growler?

Kent
Website

That sounds like a good plan Elli.

The "unwell" parrot story in your blog had me cracking up!  :D

A
Xxxxx

Board footer