Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

LitWit Posts: 298

Every year for my birthday, and for Christmas, my uncle buys me a bear. bear_original This year, the bear-of-choice is this fluffy fellow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unmarked-Mohair … true&rt=nc

This guy will be the largest jointed bear in my collection- just beating out his nearest competitor, who is 27". He seems a lot chubbier, though, and I can't wait to get my fingers on that fur!  bear_grin I've never seen such fluffy-looking mohair! His face reminds me of those bears made from alpaca in Peru. bear_laugh I've never actually done "the burn test" before, but I'll probably try it with this one. So excited!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

What a great gift from your uncle!  He looks really cuddly.  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

He does look like fun! (My guess is Dralon or a similar synthetic fur, but it does look lush.) Enjoy your birthday!

Becky

LitWit Posts: 298

Well, the bear arrived today, and I've never been more surprised in my life!! As it turns out, the burn test isn't necessary, because he's made of sheepskin! bear_shocked Unsheared, but treated to straighten the wool, like those sheepskin rugs from Australia. His ear is ripped, as mentioned in the seller's description, and I was surprised to find that it was because the leather had deteriorated (not sure if I'll be able to piece it back together)! Upon inspection, the back of his ear was also leather on the underside, but in excellent condition. Certain areas near his pads even retain a little curliness, and when I spread his fur out with my fingers, to look at the "skin," there was the leather.  bear_original Does anybody have any advice on how to keep him in good condition? I live in the South, so humidity is a concern, but I keep my house pretty well air conditioned.

Board footer