Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

Hello everyone.

I'm an animation student and the pencil will always be my first love, but my grandma taught me to sew and I love to make stuffed animals. In my early teenage years I found a copy of Debbie Kelsing's "How to Make Enchanting Miniature Teddy Bears" at the library and fell into the world of minis. After many years away, I've come back to the needle and thread, hopefully for good this time (school schedule permitting, anyway).

I'm fascinated by zoology and rather than teddies, I want to make all sorts of animals (and monsters too). My dream project is to make a realistic life sized tarantula.

Last year I took a class in stop motion animation and discovered the wonder of armatures. I'd love to make lots of posable plushies. I've always been intimidated by the prospect of making my own patterns, but I'm in the process of teaching myself how to do it.

I've learned a lot just from lurking here and I hope to learn lots more.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Welcome. 

Animation is so interesting and I'm sure you will be creating all sorts of animals from your own patterns in no time.  I'm scared of spiders, but I'd still love to see your tarantula when you're finished!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hello, Crawly, and welcome to Teddy Talk!  I'm pleased that you've found our forum helpful with your projects.  My guess is that you've discovered the wealth of information in our library, a lot of which can be applied to more than just bear making.  Visit often and show us your creations.

Thanks everyone!

Mo Beary wrote:

Welcome. 

Animation is so interesting and I'm sure you will be creating all sorts of animals from your own patterns in no time.  I'm scared of spiders, but I'd still love to see your tarantula when you're finished!

I actually don't want to do animation professionally. I'd like to be a concept artist, but my school doesn't have a suitable major for that. Having a background in animation is pretty useful for a concept artist though, since you have a much better idea of what kind of design is practical to animate. I've seen character designs that were very difficult to work with or just had to be straight up scrapped because they weren't designed with the animation in mind.

I'm still working out logistics of a tarantula. The legs would be nigh-impossible to turn, so I assume I'd have to felt them. Or maybe there's a way to sew them rights side out and conceal the seam? One of my favorite tarantulas would be perfect to make with beige mohair. Can't say I'm looking forward to the tedium of making all those legs, though.

SueAnn wrote:

Hello, Crawly, and welcome to Teddy Talk!  I'm pleased that you've found our forum helpful with your projects.  My guess is that you've discovered the wealth of information in our library, a lot of which can be applied to more than just bear making.  Visit often and show us your creations.

Yep, this place is a treasure trove of needlecraft techniques. I'm planning to build a light tent soon so I can take semi-decent photos of what I've already made.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hello Crawly and a very warm welcome to TT!  bear_flower

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Welcome!  bear_thumb

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Hello welcome to TT  bear_flower Well you certainly have a lot of creative ideas so am sure you will soon figure out some working methods. Mr finch is an artist that you might find interesting.....
http://www.mister-finch.com/portfolio/
michelle

Thank you for the warm welcome. That guy's work is incredible!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk! I look forward to seeing the big tarantula someday.  bear_original

Becky

Thank you, Dangerbears.

Tarantulas actually aren't as big as people tend to think. This girl is my biggest one:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ … ccb2a1c424
The small scale is what's gonna make this project so difficult. Maybe I should make a bigger one first then scale down to life size once I work all the kinks out.

Tedz Tedz

Oh my word!  Not big????  I thought twice before clicking that link, then regretted it!  bear_laugh Pictures don't bother me, but the real thing - you wouldn't get me anywhere near that.  If I may make a suggestion....don't worry about the size, just try out little fluffy bunnies/kitties/puppies instead! Just kidding!  I'm going to be on 'spider mode' all day now, paranoid that there's one in a corner somewhere!

Conni Germany

bear_shocked Maybe spiders can be cute?

Tedz Tedz

Of course each to their own.  I have a large breed dog, and some people are terrified of dogs and will even cross the road when we're out walking him.  (If I can see somebody is genuinely afraid, I'll go the other way too) To me, he's my baby, but not everybody shares that enthusiasm.   To me, spiders are all my worst nightmares rolled into one....BUT they are one of mother natures creatues so in that respect they have a certain beauty I suppose.  (I'm struggling here!  bear_grin

In all seriousnous though, I really really am terrified of spiders, but I checked out that Mister Finch site and although not to my taste, I have to admit that guy is truly talented.  He has his own very unique style, and makes very realistic shapes/poses.  He's very much an artist, and a very good one.  Something that truly terrifies, and even repulses me in reality can become a clever, unique piece and a work of art.  I can appreciate not everybody is wimpish as I am (and it is an irrational fear, but try telling me that when a spider runs across the floor!).  I was only joking when I said about making cute bunnies/puppies instead.  Sometimes I don't think before I write, and mean to be humourous, but can offend. That's never my intention though.   bear_flower

Don't worry, no offense taken bear_grin

If I get the pattern and techniques down to make tarantulas, I can move on to the more colorful ones. There's a super fluffy magenta and turquoise species that's very popular as a pet, and I've been keeping my eyes peeled for the appropriate fabric.

Regarding Mister Finch's work, one of the things I like the most about art is its ability to emotionally impact the audience, which is why I appreciate macabre and grotesque works a lot. There's also something to be said for rendering something revolting or horrific in an appealing way through sheer artistic skill.

Tedz Tedz

I agree with you there 100%.  When I looked at Mister Finch site, I was already telling myself before clicking the link that I wouldn't like it and that it wouldn't be good.  I don't know why I thought that.  Actually I do, because I was expecting to see spiders!  I could never buy a piece of his work, because it would freak me out having a life like posed spider sat on my coffee table, or worse, framed above my sofa ready to fall on my head  bear_shocked BUT, I was genuinely intrigued and in awe at the sheer art in his work.  Something I didn't expect!  They weren't the big, black, hairy spiders I fear so much.  They weren't black at all, nor hairy, but their poses were so realistic that it made it clever and artistic.  I genuinely had goosbumps down the back of my neck, the very same thing I get when I encouter a real spider.  It wasn't through fear, because I knew a picture on my screen couldn't hurt me, jump out at me or any of the other irrational concepts I have about spiders....but because the poses were so real, it spooked me to the point of getting goosebumps!  Art, in any shape or form, has never done that to me.  To me, art is black and white, I either love it or hate it.  If I love it, I can admire it for ages, but if I hate it, I move on instantly.  I neither loved nor hated it, but was in awe.  His pieces really 'spoke' to me.  They were saying 'don't buy me' (of course) but also 'wow!'

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

I finally found the artist I was intending to post with Mr Finch the other day but I serched Fb and couldn't find her for the link and then today she was first in my feed  bear_rolleyes She does the most amazing hair pieces and hats based on insects wonderful creations well worth a look.....

https://www.facebook.com/itshangingbyathread    not sure this link will work but the artist is Hanging by a Thread on Face book
enjoy bear_thumb
michelle

Tedz, if I were to hear that about my own work I'd be incredibly flattered. I'll bet Mister Finch would be too.

Oh wow! That scorpion is incredible and I really like how she incorporated mesh into the bee.

Board footer