Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Honeytown Posts: 8

Hey there,
I'm new..not sure if this is the sort of thing to post or not. But I am bursting to share my over the weekend bear experience with fellow bear lovers--people who "get it".  Please excuse me if it is inappropriate or if I posted in the wrong place and I'll understand if it needs to be deleted for any reason.

I spent much of my spare time during the past two weeks hunting online for a bear shop somewhere within reasonable driving distance of my home--- with no luck. Finally Saturday night I stumbled on an odd place--a nursery of all things, a garden shop a half hour from me,  that sells trees and all sorts of plants. It claimed to be a major Steiff dealer and Charlie bear dealer. I had my doubts and gave them a call. The owner assured me there were plenty of bears to look at. So the next morning I set out and 30 minutes later I was walking into a huge huge room full of bears, floor to ceiling, wall to wall--literally hundreds of Steiff and Charlie Bears!!!!  Holy moly, it was overwhelming but enormously fun. I was there for two hours. The owner was completely okay with that and seemed to enjoy my glee when I found a particuarly delightful face among the crowd.  She shared a lot of info with me about the two companies that I did not know---very interesting! 

I came away with two bears and two on lay away. Thought I did pretty well for not purchasing any bears for 15 years due to my mohair allergy.... It was great to see the Alpaca bears and the beautiful synthetic fur on the Charlies too. I can hug these with no fear of allergy symptoms!!!  bear_original

This wondrous place had no artist bears at all so I will have to explore on Bear Pile for those. But it was such a fun fun time after being away from bears for so long.  I am well on my way to a house full of bears again--Yay!

I thank you for listening and allowing me to share.  bear_flower

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Thanks for sharing that with us, Honeytown.  bear_flower

I have never understood the combination of garden center and teddy bears, but in the UK (and apparently also in the USA) it's quite common.  bear_wacko
I wish we had more shops that sell teddy bears (manufactured or artist bears).   
In the whole of BENELUX (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg), there is only one shop that sells Charlie Bears!  bear_shocked
In Antwerp where I work (a town of more than half a million inhabitants), there is not a single teddy bear shop.  (but maybe that is for the best...  bear_whistle  )

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Woo-hoo, that is great news, Honeytown!!!   I've never thought of looking at a garden center!

There are no bear shops close by me, but in south Jersey about 80 miles away there's a great bear shop in Mount Holly...and a small steiff one down the shore about 60 miles away....but thank goodness I don't pass by too often, or I would be broke! bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Peterbear, I don't know of any bear shops in New York City (if anyone knows of any, please tell me, as I work in the city at least once a month)!!!  Shocking, I know, unless you go to the FAO Schwartz for Steiff bears and pay full retail....i'm finding most of my bears at tag sales and antique shops now!

Thank you Peterbear. I had never heard of the garden/bear store combo and to me it is just so strange. But I am not complaining!

My son was at a Christmas Fair (I think that is what it was called) in Antwerp this past December and sent gorgeous pictures of the fair's carousel and the city. He is moving to The Hague this summer and I can't wait to visit him!   I'm sorry to hear bear shops are not common there in BENELUX. bear_sad   

Thank you EJ. Glad you are not completely out of luck with the bear shops. 60 and 80 miles away is about right: Close enough to get there now and then but not so close you're tempted to visit once a week which could be critical to your bank balance.  bear_original

Because Charlie Bears are so affordable I'm not so much worried about my bank balance as lack of space for them.  Wonder if my adoring hubby would mind turning the garage into a bear play room?  Surely our cars have been pampered long enough. bear_happy bear_grin

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing bear_original

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Oh how exciting I can just imagine how magical it was when you walked in bear_original We would love to see picture of your new bears if you feel like sharing.
Only one bear shop in Belgium! Peter you must open one up it would be perfect second career for you. Surely you can't be the only bear lover - maybe you could do a deal with Charlie bears etc' and be their stockist?
michelle

Hey Edmundnutmeg,

Thanks very much for the encouragement to share pictures.  I'm out of town visiting my Dad but will attempt a photo session when I return.

Hubby has asked if I want to stop at the Bear/Garden shop which happens to be right on our drive back home. Is he serious? Does he think I'm going to say no? bear_original  Does he know I'm on the verge of asking him to build a room onto the house? Haha.

Board footer