Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

istarith Sarah Wright FineArt
Pacific Northwest
Website

Hello from the US Pacific Northwest! I recently fell in love with handmade teddy bears (I spent two weeks keeping my husband awake while I poured over blogs, patterns, and videos until the wee hours); I just finished my first bear yesterday and I'm extremely pleased with how he came out! I want to make another (and another and another and sew on), but let's talk shop a minute - I've got some questions:

1. I made this bear with a cheaper local fabric store faux fur because I couldn't afford legit mohair (I mean who's got $250 laying around for a yard of fabric?!), especially since I'd have to import it it looks like... Is anyone else familiar with using more cost effective fabrics, or are you finding affordable mohair state-side?
2. What fabric/fur are you using for miniature bears? What kind is appropriate? And what are you using for joints on something so tiny??
3. Tips on making bears baby-safe? Safety eyes and joints are a given, but should I pay attention to anything else?

Thanks guys! I'm loving looking through the forums and seeing everyone's creations; such lovely work!!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Sarah,

I can see why you're pleased with this bear! He's a major cutie.

I can't really speak to minis (though Sassy fabric is very popular, I believe) or child-safe bears, but for affordable mohair in the States, check out our site sponsor, Intercal Mohair! Johnna and her team can give advice if you need it, and they carry a nice selection.

Welcome aboard!

Becky

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

I don't know anything about fabrics....just wanted to comment....your first bear is seriously cute! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Board footer