Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think the article probably should have been generalized and not included anyones name... that way the lady makes her point but doesn't hurt feelings or single anyone out..... Jenny, I too love your bears and can't afford one, but that is my problem, not yours LOL  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Don't let it bother you girl! Your bears are fab and you are such a sweetheart!   :hug:  :hug:

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

The world is always evolving and the internet and eBay are part of it. I have been able to sell my bears through eBay, it is just another venue to use. For me it has given me an opportunity to do something I love and have the joy of someone adopting my bears. If you are able to take advantage of this way of reaching and audience you should not be condemed for it. I can go to my local library and read a good book, I can also go there and surf the web.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I just want to thank everyone for their input on this ...if nothing else apart from stressing me out ..it's provoked a very interesting discussion..(on the world wide web!!!!!LOL)Thanks Mindy for your input too..as a person involved with a magazine you need to see both sides of the coin, and you clearly do.

I do not have an issue with those folks who prefer to buy my bears after looking at them and feeling them...to me that's right and proper..and I prefer it that way myself, I sell most of my bears that way too. I already cited my low Ebay use as evidence of that...and the fact that I only just updated my website after about 6 months of no available bears on-line except for my show previews is also testimony to the fact that I work hard to supply all potential markets.

I won't even reserve a bear that's on my show preview prior to fairs much to the chagrin of several potential customers who'd seen them and wanted to put their name on them beforehand. I will not do this because I want everyone to have a fair shot. If someone gets niggled because a person then gets to my stand first when the show opens (which has happened) I can't do anything about that, I am afraid.

I know that the march of technology means that it's hard to divide your energies equally...let's face it the internet is easier, quicker and more convenient and reaches further...I also know and appreciate the need to service all my customers with equal enthusiasm, respect and sincerity showing no discrimation between anyones ability to access my bears or to purchase them. I assume nothing about my customers...I work hard to create new work to appeal to a wide range of collectors and to try to ensure that I deliver my work as far as possible to all who wish to see it.

Ironically through my endeavours to make my bears known and accessible to all I inevitably have come under fire for simply not being able to produce enough bears to keep everyone happy.

My issue is that my name was picked out when I am not the only artist that finds supplying enough bears a difficult and indissoluble task and that I am not gulity of supplying my bears only via the internet, a fact that the magazine should have checked before going to print.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

My issue is that my name was picked out when I am not the only artist that finds supplying enough bears a difficult and indissoluble task and that I am not gulity of supplying my bears only via the internet, a fact that the magazine should have checked before going to print.

Fair comment Jenny.  I'm sure most of us have similar problems.  For me, the criteria is to offer the bears where they will sell first and secondly, where they will advertise themselves well.  The internet is an excellent marketing tool, it reduces the waiting period between making and selling the product and has now become an essential element to ensure cash flow. 

Making bears for a show for example, involves a great deal of up front outlay and a whole heap of finger crossing in the current climate.  To stay in business I need a quick turnaround on my sales and I always have to take a deep breath and pray whenever I'm attempting to service a show!  A show involves roughly an £800.00 advance investment on my part in terms of expenses and probably a month of no income ... it's a risk in terms of sales, but it is still good PR.  However, without mail order sales and in particular, internet sales, I couldn't finance it.  The same goes for shops (which I've all but stopped supplying these days) I can't reconcile selling at a huge discount to shops, when I sell all I can make to private collectors.  However, there are still some excellent shops offering great PR and reaching a broad collector base, which make the financial juggling worthwhile.

It would be lovely if collectors could pop into their local shop/fair to find their favourite artist's work, but sadly, it's not always a financially viable option for the maker.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh Takes one to know one, Penners!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

I stand by it--being of that lady's generation myself, I do not believe that staying alive longer than most gives anyone the right to imply that artists have used eBay to jack up the prices of their bears. It was tasteless of her to single out a specific artist, and very unprofessional of the mag to print her letter without consulting Jenny,  just to stir controversy. Tacky.

Mindy raised the issue here in a very different way, setting the parameters of the issue and supplying the background information that makes an intelligent discussion possible. Under these circumstances it should be possible for both sides to address the problem, maybe even to find a solution, without triggering a clash between artists and collectors, or setting up one artist as a scapegoat.

I don't blame the lady for ignorance--it's not a capital offence. But does she really not know that in any auction including eBay's it's the buyer, not the artist, who sets the price?

If she has been collecting artist bears, as oppposed to manufactured bears, for so many years, I'm a bit more surprised that she believes the artist can increase production to meet demand. A longtime collector of artist bears would know that it doesn't work that way.

Eileen

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

I really can't believe the magazine published this with out consulting you first? 

But on a positive note;

ITS REALLY EXCELLENT PUBLICITY

Just think everyone will be looking you up to see your much sort after bears, too see why the lady wants one sooooo much...
Hopefully they will have lots of money to buy too.

And more good publicity when you get your response in....

Theres one big problem though Jenny you might need to make that other pair of hands..... bear_grin

Lanie x

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I don't see this as negative at all, other than she NEEDS to get a computer and internet service.
I would be flattered if that was published about my bears!
I don't think she meant that you want too much for your bears, only that they are so valuable that people get in bidding wars when they are on auction. That she probably couldn't afford one of your bears even if she could get on ebay. Enormous praise for your work!!
Sounds like she is just very frustrated that she can't get one of your bears.
Don't spend another minute worrying about this.  :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Jenny, sorry if this is rude but seriously, who wouldn't laugh at this letter!  No computer car etc etc lol.  What century are we in!! I have so many jokes coming to mind but will contain myself lol  I thought the point of artist bears is the exclusiveness of them! 
At least your name will be remembered lol, one of those bears that you can't obtain if you don't have the wonders of the modern world lol
I'm sure only a small percentage would see this as a negative thing to you..I see it as this woman being unreasonable and no tarnish on you...but I do think the mag should have contacted you first!!  I would be upset...
Lots of hugs,  :hug:  :hug: 
Sarah

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

JENNY!!!!!! where do I get me some of them octopussy arms???? Could I find some on ebay? or would I have to GOOGLE?  :crackup: aaaaaaand do they ship to aust? bear_wacko
Wendy bear_thumb

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Jenny,
I am so sorry that this had happen to you.  bear_cry  :hug:
I agree with Kim ↓
I hope the Magazine will learn not to make same mistake for future. 

I think the article probably should have been generalized and not included anyones name... that way the lady makes her point but doesn't hurt feelings or single anyone out.....

I really adore your work Jenny.. :hug:
Please don't let them bother you.

Hugs/Marie

Board footer