Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

What brilliant discussion here!  Melissa, love what you wrote about loving what we do...not many people can say they love their work and it brings them a warm fuzzy glow  :lol:

Sue Ann, I love the idea of your pocket book  ;)

I just say that I run a craft business from home usually...then if they ask more I tell them..not many people who know me can get away from the fact I make and love teddies!! 

Now what I have been offended by before is someone asking how much my work is and they say 'what?? for that!!'  anyone have that thrown at them before??...i just put it down to ignorance on their part and quickly explain how much materials are, time to make...they still can't see the point when a bear from cheap as chips will cost $5!!  grrrr  bear_angry   I suppose there are people like us, the crafty collector sort, who know about these sorts of things and people who dont and its not their fault...can't be helped but it is a little kick in the gut nevertheless.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi Everyone

This question came up 10 year ago when I opened my shop in Manly Australia, it was finally decided by the many "bear artists" in the shop that this term applied to those who created their own original patterns and "bear maker" applied to those people who didn't design their own patterns but supplied bread and butter to others by buying and making their patterns.

I however had to face people at parties when I said "Oh I own a shop that represents over 100 Australian Bear Artists". ..Next comment "Oh I must visit blah blah has just had a baby and I want to buy a bear for him" .Me "Oh well that's good but not many of my bears will suit you." and then I had to explain why. Usually half way through they'd pat my arm and say "Oh well dear never mind, the shop's only a hobby isn't it, your husband is supporting you." Or some such comment.

So not only was I a poor deluded bear artist but I gone and opened  a shop as well...really the rolled eyes far outweighed the blank gazes.

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

HALLALUYA Amen- and I thought I was the only one who got those rolly eyed blank stares.  I used to avoid conversations in new social situations for fear of the ever dreaded what do you do for a living question? I hated being dismissed as a fluff ball, wing nut, hippy dippy, freeloadin kept woman, I pay half the bills too ya know :twisted: 

What your a grown up and you still play with teddies, How cute!!!  I always thought teddies were made by those merry mucnkins who just love to sing and dance while happily stitching stuffed toys for all the good girls and boys. I'm no muchkin(not that I have anything against muchkins, loved them in Willy Wonka-the orignial.) but I have been known to sing and dance on occasion.  :crackup:

I love what I do and am very proud of how far I have come with my bear making skills, however I tip toe around and only truly come out of the bear closet in the company of other bear artists.  I'm tired of trying to convince the "more Professional" mucky mucks out there that Iamb a worthy $$$$ makin contributing grown up.  I have given up on these poor souls let them think I'm a flake, at least I'm a happy content flake, not an over stressed, angry tired ole wind bag like most of them have become. 

I do find myself  becoming more comfortable in my bear artist skin (thanks to TT) and recently have found myself confident enough to speak loudly and clearly when stating YES!!! I'm a Teddy Bear Artists and what ya going to do about it, mister money bags bear_angry I stand tall and speak clearly and slowly and without shame.  I'm tired of hiding, let them think what they want about me, I don't give a rats a..... I'm way to silly to take life that seriously and I feel sad for those that do.
Hugs to all great topic by the way bear_wub
Deborah

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Thanks everyone........I'm really enjoying reading all your wonderful comments....good to know I am not alone
in my feelings on this subject!

One overwhelming  thing that is coming through from your feedback, is that we are all unanimous in that we absolutely love what we do, we are creative artistic people, with a passion for teddy bear art in all its forms!! :clap:

So I think I am going to lighten up, accept that, folk may be bewildered by what I do......get those cards in my handbag (thanks Chloe).... and state with great pride..YES!...I am a Teddy Bear Artist !!!!!!!!

Thanks again to you all,

Hugs,

Yvonne.  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Deborah... love it!  So true!

I have given up on these poor souls let them think I'm a flake, at least I'm a happy content flake, not an over stressed, angry tired ole wind bag like most of them have become.

zemeski Posts: 434

Sometimes people just don't use good common since or any intelligence before they think or speak to others. Me included sometimes. It does all go back to being educated in something. When you speak to people or are asked what you do for a living you almost have to give them a free course to go along with it to understand about it. They really just don't understand it is all. So, with that in mind when you hear people dismiss you or say what ever they say to make you feel uncomfortable, they don't understand or have a clue what it is all about. We as humans almost always think for or image whatever comes to mind unless the other person shows us or tells us what to think or know. I've learned over the years not to think for people unless they tell me straight up or I ask them is that what they are saying or thinking. I'm almost always wrong if I do and it leaves me feeling bad about myself.

Yvonne Quoted: So I think I am going to lighten up, accept that, folk may be bewildered by what I do......get those cards in my handbag (thanks Chloe).... and state with great pride..YES!...I am a Teddy Bear Artist !!!!!!!!

You go girl!! And SHINE for all of us teddy bear artist in the world!!! You are important as all of us teddy bear artist are!!! Without us where would the teddy bear collectors go for different teddies??

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I usually say that I am a teddy bear artist... I design and make collectible teddy bears from scratch... and then hand them my card which has a photo on it.

I may go onto say how I built and maintain my own website... sell from there, eBay and shows... and that I have bears living in homes all over the world!  THAT ususally makes them realize these are not the $4.99 bears  :crackup:

Occassionally I do get the occasional rude person who asks... so how much do you sell your bears for and ... the rude part... how many bears do you make a week?  I'd LIKE to ask... well, I don't know... how much do you make at YOUR job?  ... but I never do...

Chrissi I LOVE what you said... "...how many of your friends get to say that without going Pinocchio right in front of you??" LOL!!!

Oh my gosh Jenny!!!  I can't beLIEVE that client actually SAID that!!!  How rude!   Doesn't she realize that you have sharp blades in potentially "ouchy" places on her?   bear_whistle

LOL!!  Mindy I didn't realize you would have the same "problems" with people when they as what you do for a living.... too funny!!! 

Oh My Gosh Paula!  I just can't believe that happened to you!  I have to tell you that I have secretly idolized you for quite a while... bear_wub   knowing all that you have done for so long on your own!  Besides which I've been dreaming about your bears too  bear_grin   I'm so sorry that man was so rude to you and made you feel so lousy.  I'd like to fly over right now and kick him in a very soft spot  :twisted:

Oh Dilu you are TOO funny!!!!   :crackup:

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Bless you Melissa.  bear_flower ..........I will definitely' SHINE '........!!!

Many thanks,

hugs,

Yvonne.

Board footer