Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

KP BEAR KP BEAR
Lewiston, South Australia.

I posted a topic the other day congratulating the best in the bear community. When I got back to see who had looked I was very dismayed to find some one had added to my title,big con,  I can not describe how upset I was and as a kneejerk reaction I deleted the post. As it must have been some one with admin or moderator status to tamper with my text. There was in all 20 that had looked but not posted any comments. And I can understand why, you must all have thought that I was nuts to post some thing like that.

I have now had a think about it and I am very angry in deed that some one would stoop so low to do some thing like this. I am very new to this forum and now I will most likely not comment on any post again. I know that it is only one person that is to blame and you know who you are but it has put a damper on my belonging to this forum.
I am very saddened by the fact that amongs all the nice folk here that there is a bad apple that has spoiled it for me.
Who ever you are maybe you would be big enought to send me and email to explain your self!!!
Lena bear_sad

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I wouldn't know how a title could be changed by someone else.... that is strange...  :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

That sounds very odd to me too.  It' s never happened before, so I hope it gets sorted out so you'll feel better about staying Lena.    :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Gosh!  I do hope that gets sorted out.  I'd hate to think any of our posts would be able to be tampered with.  Out of control, that could do some serious damage!!

Quy?

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

*oh Lena*
I didn't see it at all.  I'm so sorry that something like tat happened.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I did see your original post...but I thought it was a typo...hope this gets straightened out!!! :hug: to you Lena

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Lena, I'm so sorry about your post - I don't understand how any one could tamper with it as only the writer can edit it.  I didn't notice the title at all.  Pleeeease don't misunderstand this but did you read the post title after you wrote it or is ther any possiblity it could have been a type-o that you didn't notice when you wrote it?  Maybe you could PM Shelli or SueAnn  and ask them to check with Quy as to what could have possibly happened.  We would hate to lose you because of this.  Take care and bye for now.

Hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Lena, we're looking into this; thanks for your post.

In the meantime, be careful not to wrangle the admin folk into a circle of blame!  There are lots of ways things on the web can be tampered with, and it may well be the act of someone completely outside the TT circle -- admin or moderator types included -- who was essentially "hacking."

I remember last year, Edinburgh's Classroom was taken down by a virus that literally changed the entire look of the forum and plastered all these "Poison!," skull and crossbones types of things across the forum there, for all to see.  Luckily, they were able to respond quickly.  It was pretty blatant that someone had hijacked the site, or planted a virus there.

That same forum -- and I don't want to single them out; it happens EVERYWHERE! -- was also for a while the victim of spam which took the form of "legitimate" posts.  People would write scary nasty things to stir people up and include a link in their post, which would send clickers to a pharmacy site, or some such thing.

Don't people have better things to do?  <sigh>

Troubling...   bear_sad

Thanks, Lena, for your willingness to post on this.  Please don't let this kind of insipid nastiness drive you away.

And please, also, be open to the possibility that your interpretation of this comment is "off."  Maybe the person who hacked your post wasn't saying YOU were a "big con," but rather, that the TOBY's, or those nominated for it,  are.

???

Hugs,

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I never thought of the hacker thing... that is a good point...

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Actually I DID think of a hacker straight off the bat  bear_angry  Its a horrid thing, and just exactly what a hacker would want to do  bear_angry 

Lena, please don't take to heart....the Teddy Talk community IS friendly and very supportive.  NONE of us would EVER do something like that to one of your posts!!!!  I know it can be hard sometimes to come forward and post, but I do hope you won't be chased off by this  :hug:

Lena, I never thought of a hacker - I'm so computer illiterate.  Maybe we'll never know what happened for sure and it would be a shame to lose you over this!

Hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

So sorry this happened to your post, Lena!  As Shelli stated, the TT help advisors are trying to find out how this could have occurred.  Don't know why people who are smart enough to figure out how to "hack" don't use their skills in a more constructive pursuit.  I hope you won't leave us as we value your contributions.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In my experience when sending PM's and giving them a subject or title heading I've found that the title has gotten completely mixed up, changed or all but a few letter deleted. I see this when the person I've PM'd responds and, just for a fictional example,  the title reads: re: Is In reality the title I KNOW I typed in was... Hi Shelli. Am I making sense? This has happened to me countless times. I don't think I'm loosing it. I figure it's one of those silly quirks and keep forgetting to mention it to Quy. I figure that who ever I'm PMing just thinks I'M quirky! It's not me, really!

So, I'm thinking this could also be a computer hic-cup of some sort. I can't imagine it was anything deliberate. Just because we've had a bit of negativity on the board lately doesn't mean that anyone would hack in to do something like THAT. I'd think more malicious or obvious things would be done.

Let them sort this out, Lena. Get the truth before you decide to stop posting! It would be a shame for you to leave us for no reason!  bear_cry

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Good point, Daphne, and yet another possibility.  For example, I sometimes hit a button when I'm typing and my Control Panel comes up and temporarily obliterates what I'm working on!  And when I'm doing Photoshop stuff, there's something I occasionally hit... not even sure what it is!... that sends me to online help and opens, like, twenty of the exact same window.  What's with that?

Although I tend to believe that somehow "accidentally" ending up with the coherent phrase BIG CON is, maybe, a little bit of a stretch...  bear_happy I have been known to click something (no clue what) when typing that somehow entirely rearranges my sentences, with the ending at the beginning, and none of it making sense.

So all of these... reasonable possibilities.

Lena, I just hope you've seen how very much NOT "that kind" of people TEDDY TALKers are.  Whatever happened, it was almost certainly a fluke, and not remotely what we're about here.

Thanks again for your notice on this.  It's not something we'd like to see happen again.

:hug:

KP BEAR KP BEAR
Lewiston, South Australia.

I know you are all nice people but soem times it can be one bad apple in the barrel.
I am sure that if I had typed it in I would have noticed the mistake. And I am all for the Toby award that I why I got soo upset. I won in  2004 so I would not say any thing bad about it.
After reading all the post here I will stay and I hope this will never happen again.
Bear hugs from Lena bear_wub

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Great to read that you are staying with us Lena. I haven't had time to get to know you yet and what I have seen of your creations tells me that you are great with the needles and fur.  bear_thumb  Congratulations on winning a Toby in 2004, something I would love to do. TT is a wonderful community and we have some lovely members, I'm so pleased that you are still going to join in with us all. Nice to gain yet another new friend!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

LynBlair Posts: 139

Is it possible that "Big Congratulations" somehow got cut off, ending up with "Big Con"?

Hugs,
Lyn

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Lena, I'm glad you're not going to let this scare you away!

Whatever happened, nobody on TT would suspect you of calling the Toby Awards a big con!! Like Lyn, I'd probably assume it was short for big congratulations, or nothing at all!

Eileen

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I was thinking the same thing as Lyn and Eileen..... maybe it was Big Congratulations and it appeared in the shortened term .Please don't leave , we support each other here and the board will look after your concerns.   bear_smile   :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have a lap top and if I'm wearing a bulky sweater or something the sleeves end up dragging on the 'mouse' plate causing me to type where or I didn't know I was typing or hit a key that has the effects that Shelli described! Except I never even realize it sometimes! We're human, mistakes are not above any of us if that is indeed what happened. And we certainly have no control over what the computers do once we hit send.

Glad you are not leaving us. Stuff happens.... no fingers pointed.... it's just life.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
LynBlair wrote:

Is it possible that "Big Congratulations" somehow got cut off, ending up with "Big Con"?

Hugs,
Lyn

This is what I had thought as wel...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I'm glad you have decide to stay Lena.  I ditto what Shelli, Daphne , Sue Ann and many others have said already.  I have not seen your original post but from what you have said, I can understand how you must be upset.  I hope everything is set straight now.  Just know that there are a few sour grapes out there...for many reasons...but don't let it get the best of you.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention. :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

LynBlair wrote:

Brilliant, Lyn!  That's maybe the most likely scenario of all.  Is there some chance that maybe what got typed in for a title was something fairly long, that ended in Big Congratulations?  Because you can't write an endless title; there is a number of characters you can input, after which the forum software will cut off the rest.

Good thinking!

One last thing, Lena... I wanted you to know that I don't think anyone remotely associates you with disrespect for the TOBY Award!  Rest easy on that one.  The intent of your message was clear, even after you erased the original.  Namely, to congratulate those who received a nomination this year, and to recognize the Award itself as a big honor.  I agree with you on that and along with several other people who post regularly here at TT, I was myself honored to receive a nomination this year.  So we all share respect and gratitude for that Award, and know you have those same feelings toward it.

Also... Thank you!  It was a good and kind thing to post congratulations of that kind for this year's nominees, and it's most appreciated!

:hug:

Hi Lena,
     I'm so glad you are staying - it would be a shame for the problem to have upset you enough to leave us.  Once you get comfortable with everyone here, I hope you will be glad  you stayed!
Looking forward to getting to know you.

Hugs,

Brenda

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

No software is bug-free. We will investigate to confirm if there is a bug.

There are no known security issues with the software. If the site was hacked, more damages would have been done.

What was the original subject of your message? Was it "big cong Toby 2006" where the "g" may got inadvertently omitted.

Quy

Board footer