Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
An artist friend ask me yesterday if I knew how to take new bells and make them look old.  She has tried using vinegar and then she tried boiling water.  She did not get the effect she was hoping for.  Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Donna

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hmmm... I haven't done this with brass but I do know that at Michael's (or probably any craft store) there is a fairly large section of "finishes" you can paint or sponge on, or use as a "dip," to antique/patina/leaf metals.  I'm uncertain about whether they work on brass.  But it's a place to start, I'd imagine...

I have used one of these finishers -- the "rusting" one -- to tarnish silver jingle bells, to nice effect.  They required a varnish, though, to keep from wiping away onto fabric.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Donna
I tried everything under the sun including javex to tarnish the new bells to no avail. Someone did mention burying them in the ground and leaving them over the Winter. I finally went out and bought some that were already rusty and old looking
Hugs
Gail

clare14 Country Bears
England

Good question,

I have some old keys which I need to age some more - I'll look out for those over here Shelli, many thanks!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Equal parts of bleach and vinegar overnight.....but it's a VERY potent solution and will sting your eyes so make sure the jar is outside. You still need to varnish over it when it's completely dry though or the rust will come off on your bear. The rusting process continues for a few weeks after removing them and rinsing them, so don't be in a hurry.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ahhh you are a fountain of knowledge Hayley!

Thanks for the info!

Danni

Board footer