Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

mwaggs2 Quilts-N-Critters
Middletown, Ohio
Website

Hi can someone please help me? I'm trying to dye mohair for the first time. I bought Orange Kool-aid. I put the packet in a bag with 2 cups of water, and added my mohair.  Now what?
I've have checked what has been written in the past and I can't find out what to do next. How long do I leave it in? Do I rinse it? how do I dry it?
Please Help me if you can
Thanks
Marilyn

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

Did you use hot water? The directions I have say 2 cups hot water. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of white vinegar. If you want the backing dyed the same color add 2 tbsp salt. Add your mohair and knead gently. Rinse them in cold water. Check them for even dyeing. Lay them out on a towel or drying rack. I use several packets of kool aid at a time to get a really strong color.
Nancy D

Middletown, Ohio
Website

No I didn't use hot water, and I didn't use vinegar. Oh crap I wonder what will happen. I didn't use salt either. I only used one packet. Oh well at least I know to rinse it.
Thanks for your help

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

You can rinse it and start over. At least Kool aid is inexpensive. You can do it several times to get the color you want.
Nancy D

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I use boiling water, and several packets at one time.....for one average size bear I would probably use 4-5 packets.  I always rinse till clear.  I never add vinegar, because Koolade has citric acid in it already....Try again.

Bear in mind that your fabric may shrink a bit, not a lot, but a bit because of the boiling water.  Also, if I am using wool felt I do it at the same time.

Don't give up, dying your fabric your color is fun.....just try again!

gollyhugs

dilu

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I used 2 packages of Kool Aid to 2 cups of hot water (not boiling I just used very hot tap water) and it turned out really really orange.  I didn't use any vinegar and I think I read somewhere that if you add salt the color isn't as bright.

Jane

K Pawz Guest

yup salt dilutes the color, also if you dampen your mohair before adding it to the kool aide mix you get more even color.....I use 2 cups hot water to 1 package kool aide...it is fun to also mix colors of kool aide!!! For drying rinse until clear and then dry flat, finger brushing the mohair where you want it....I usually leave mine in overnight, and then rinse in the morning, start to finish about 3 days before the bear can actually be started...also to save having to mix huge amounts, I cut my pieces out and then dye them

Hugs,
krista

Middletown, Ohio
Website

Thanks everyone for your advise. Well from what I had already done. So far I'm happy with the result. The color is not bright but real pretty. The color is not even but that's okay with me too. It's drying now. Do I need to heat set it? Will the color fade over time?
Thanks Marilyn

K Pawz Guest

I have never heat set any of mine, but they aren't really old so I have no idea what will happen over time...although I would advise to keep the bear out of direct sunlight.

Hugs,
Krista

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have dyed several bears with Kool Aid, and I really don't follow the rules.  I use hot water and just guess at the Kool aid.  I have not used salt and I sometimes don't squish it around for even dying.  I have had some come out with what almost looked like highlights, it was really cool (or Kool).  You may get a really nice pastel color from your mixture.  However, if you want a darker color, you can start over as was mentioned.  Just don't worry, you won't ruin the mohair.  Even if you don't care for the color too much, someone out there will just love it.

Board footer