Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

LABears L.A.Bears
Morrinsville
Website

Hi Everyone

Was just wondering what you all prefer to use for mini bear eyes, onyx beads or the wee glass eyes that come on a stem.  I mentioned these as I'm using 2mm eyes at present and I don't think you can get them not on a stem.  I've got use to using them but I'm almost out and thought maybe the onyx beads would be better.
Look forward to hearing what you all think.

Bear Hugs

Lorna
L.A.Bears

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Lorna
I love the wee glass eyes  but, they are harder to get. I like to used the Onyx beads and I found out that they are great too. Working with them both, I really do not have a preference.
I love your Avantar bear bear_thumb
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I've used 2's on a stem, but they pop off pretty easily.  I've used both and I think I prefer the ones on the stem, when they don't pop off.   :doh:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

" eyes on a stem?'   I have tiny wee ones but they are just miniture  versions of the larger glass eyes with the wire loop.

LABears L.A.Bears
Morrinsville
Website

Wendy, what size are they?  I would love to get some 2mm with loops on the back but I haven't been able to find any.

Hugs

Lorna

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Lorna

I did find glass ones on a loop but they were the ball eyes and to be honest, I much prefer the onyx beads...I find with the little ones on the loop by the time you get the loop through, it's really hard not to pull the eye through with it.

Intercal have the nicest consistently good quality onyx bead eyes I've ever found....and theirs range from quite tiny to 2mm  They are a little pricier but I never seem to get a dud one.  Just be aware that like the glass eyes you do need to match your onyx beads as they vary in size.

If you needle-sculpt the eye sockets you can get them just as deeply set as glass eyes.  Half the time I don't even need to needle sculpt as you can pull  they onyx beads tight without worrying about them breaking like with the glass wires.

Oh - I use the monlycke goliath thread on the short cotton reel  for putting onyx bead eyes in. (it's on a black spool instead of the normal grey one) -  Most sewing stores stock it.  I think it's almost always on the bottom row of the thread stand.  It's not as fluffy as the metrosene and it doesn't break as easy as grizzly.  It also holds in a really nice tight knot without slipping like some of the polyester strong threads do.(hope that all makes sense!!)

Like your avatar bear by the way!

Board footer