Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

I don't call in to Teddy Talk as often as I would like , however, thought that you may not have heard that the State of Victoria in which I live is suffering many huge bush fires which are now joining up and appear to be unstoppable.
While we are in no actual danger we woke Friday morning to thick smoke. It in fact looked like Winter fog except the temperature rose to 36C and then increased to 43C by Sunday.( that is well over 100F). The fires have been caused by lightening strikes. Added to this we are experiencing our worst drought . So many of those living in the immediate area of the fires are preparing to defend their homes by hosing down walls, filling guttering and containers, with the little tank water they have left. If they are lucky enough to survive the fires then to buy a tank load of water will be a huge cost(it is the cost of transporting the water...our actual water costs are not expensive).  Falling ash is likely to contaminate our dwindled water dams and render them useless.
So this is Christmas...added to this I lost a dear friend and neighbor on Friday...thank God for bears.
Speaking og which ..on a brighter note . I sold my charity bear T.G and sent a cheque of $725 AUD on Thursday to the diabetes charity set up in my late nephews  name.
I will try to add a photo taken by my husband Sunday morning . You will note cars in the street shrouded by smoke.
Now off to the Gym to flush away some stress.!!
Kind regards,
Susan   .I am having trouble adding the photo so may have to try later !

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh Susan: what a terrible thing to be happening. It is very sad to hear about your friend and neighbor. 

I often wonder (afraid to ask) but what about the wildlife. Are there animal groups to help those hurt in the fire? I almost don't know if I can read the answer....The news never talks about the animals even in the USA when we have fires like that. 

Do keep safe and let us know about the updates

Michelle

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Thre are lots of groups in Australia to help.  There have been people scouring areas trying to resuce them.  The vets will also take them in and many many people are voluteer carers.
But most are just so slow moving that it devastates an area.

Oh Bronwen: That is good that people and vets help. It breaks my heart when I hear about things like this. So many people and animial suffer so....Nobody talks about the animals though. I would love to hear about a success  stories or news on rescues.

Michelle

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I have been watching this on the television and it just is so awful.
We have had firefighters from New Zealand who have gone over to help.
I hope that they get it under control.
Stay safe.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Susan, my thoughts are with you.  It wasn't long ago that Canberra went through what you are going through now. We thought the whole of Canberra was going to burn - it came so close to us and was very frightening.

My thoughts are with you and your neighbours - stay safe, that's the most important thing.   :hug:
Danni

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

We live quite aways from the fires but the smoke from them has just about covered the whole state.  This is the view from the front verandah, normally we can see the town and mountains beyond.   Much cooler today so some relief for the wonderful fire fighters....

IM000034.jpg

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Our news said over 1000 acres burned....how heart breaking.

Stay healthy and safe....

dilu

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

They think it could burn for months.  We had one like that hit near Dubbo where I used to live and it burned for 3 months but they couldn't get to it to put it out they could only watch it
That was terrible too

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm so sorry . . . fires are so destructive and vicious.  Stay well.  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

Renae wrote:Yes, Michelle, I know a lady in wombat rescue over there, impossible to move a wombat burrow. It missed them, but badly burned the area right around them and they are flooded with injured animals. It really hits the wallabies, simply because they can't stand much stress.

Renea: Animal rescue groups are such a blessing really for those animals that are injured. thank goodness thedh wombat burrow was missed. Is she able to make sure they will be o.k. given the area is burned? Oh It is heartbreaking isn't it.....Any news on the wallabies? The picture looks so horriable!

Michelle

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

It is dreadful to have the fires and more scary when the whole country is very low on water supplies ... I pray that we get the rain soon .... stay safe all where fires are burning.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Yep Renae, thats what our trees are like...the oil in the Eucalypts is flammable...actually, a lot of the seedpods need fire to germanate...so bushfire is a renewal process...but not when its out of control like this...its just devestating...

Susan, so glad that your bear sold, and I'm thinking of you all over there.... its just awful..this whole country is so dry...we are all in for a terrible summer this year I'm afraid...its scary...

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.
We actually get good coverage here as to the welfare of the animals. There is always a huge loss but many people are concerned and offer help . Many are returned to the bush but it is a matter of feed and water for them then.
We are told to expect the fires to go on for months.

My dear neighbor was 69 and broke her leg 6 weeks ago. I spoke to her in emergency and she was bright..eyes sparkling, from then she seemed to go downhill and then imprive several times until I think she may have decided it was all too hard. She lived alone.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thoughts and prayers out to anyone on the group who has bushfires close by.  Thanks to the New Zealanders for coming over to assist.  :hug:

Board footer