Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I really want to work on sculpting dolls in 2007 as well. I enjoy sculpting of all kinds, but I really really want to be able to sculpt realistic children, like world famous Hildegard Gunzel and Rotraut Schrott. (Don't set my sights high, do I? :crackup: ) Of course it will take years of practice to sculpt like that--not to mention God given talent, but my goal is to make sure this year that I actually DO allow myself time to practice.
Paula, I just borrrowed a Akira Blount DVD from Connie B. She does the loveliest soft sculpture dolls! Her DVD is incredibly inspiring and a fabulous learning tool. I would like to try that too of course, but with starting back to school again NEXT week, I'll be lucky to get a few bears and doll sculpting in!!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

There is one of my dolls Jodi bear_grin my avatar doll
<<<<<<-------
<<<<<<-------

Hugs &

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_whistle  Sorry for me dolls are  :twisted:   Absolutely NO offense to anyone's creations...its this horrible scary thing from my childhood.  Frankly, I think it stems from that awful Jack in the Box clown...and please!!  I'm begging you  :pray:   no links to those awful clowns again...I still have nightmares  bear_ermm   

As for me...I'M LEARNING AIRBRUSHING COME HELL OR HIGH WATER THIS YEAR!!!!!  bear_thumb   One way or another, this WILL come to pass!!!  bear_wub  bear_smile

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Tami, thanks for the nudge ... I'll have to look that one out, it sounds just the job!

The sculpting intrigues me no end, but I'm too chicken to have a go.  I'm not terribly artistic and think I'm most likely to make an unrecognisable mess, rather than anything resembling a doll's head!  I'd love to be able to though ... good luck to those of you talented enough to make the effort worthwhile!!

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website
All Bear wrote:

The sculpting intrigues me no end, but I'm too chicken to have a go.  I'm not terribly artistic and think I'm most likely to make an unrecognisable mess, rather than anything resembling a doll's head!

Pish woman!!  Of course you're artistic - those bears have to come from somewhere!!  I think - and this may just be a romantic notion of my own!! - that you have to find the right medium to express your creativity, and, once you do, then you're away!  I don't think cloth is going to be for me, for instance - unless I can paint it or otherwise heavily disgiuse it, because I love sharp, clear detail and I love to work with colour, so I am finding the softness of cloth a bit frustrating.  But I am working on ways to combine Sculpey or papier mache with cloth, and it's a great adventure (have sent hubby away for the day so I have hours and hours to play with STUFF over the weekend, yaaay!!).

Anyway, I'll quit rambling, but just to say to everyone who is venturing into new territory, whether with dolls, airbrushing, whatever - I know it sounds trite but, don't give up!!  Nothing worth having ever comes too easily - I should know, it's taken me nearly thirty years to be able to start sculpting properly bear_grin   But it's finally coming good and it really was like a switch being thrown in my head: ohhh, so THAT'S how you do it, kind of thing.  I truly think that, if you want to do something badly enough, it will happen for you - hopefully it won't take anyone else thirty years though!! bear_grin
Creative hugs,
Chris

Kent
Website

Wise words lady!  Thanks Chris ... I think you're absolutely right.  It's a case of being brave and venturing out from one's comfort zone. 

I've always been able to visualise moreorless what I want from fabric and so it seems a natural progression to develop that further... I love the faces on needlesculpted dolls; those really clever artists who make fascinating troll faces and character 'old' people faces, especially. 

The thought of sculpting with all things gooey is very enticing, but because I've never been near the stuff, I guess I'm a bit daunted as to know where I'd even begin, or what I'd want to achieve from it.  Having said that, I'm really enjoying finding out more by visiting websites and reading up whenever I can. 

I'm also really taken with the beautiful painted cloth doll faces ... but I'm guessing some degree of competence with a paint brush would be necessary to achieve anything vaguely satisfying.  My own painting days were highly skilled naturally (!) but the four year olds that held them in such great esteem are probably not quite the jury I'd face now!  bear_happy  bear_shocked

Currently the biggest issue I have in developing my interest is the dilemma that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in costuming or dress-making!  It's just the body shapes and faces that intrigue me ... although having said that, I do love the wild abandon some doll makers use when creating their pieces - they seem to work completely freestyle and conjure up magical imagery with tiny bits of beautiful fabrics, sequins, beads ... ah such lovely beadwork!  It's all so head spinning!  So, it seems I need to become a magpie, collect fabulous bits n' pieces and hoard them away, until I've unravelled my mish mosh of thoughts and developed A PLAN!

There's so much to think about and I've no materials whatsoever, just a shed load of books and magazines to drool over.  So, now I've read myself into a headspin, I think the first sensible step is to book a class and learn some basics.  This is a 'me' project, a lovely hobby to play with at my leisure ... the first time I've been able to do that in a good few years, so plenty of time to enjoy the excitement of exploration!

Enjoy your weekend Chris ... can't wait to see the results!! bear_thumb

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
All Bear wrote:

Currently the biggest issue I have in developing my interest is the dilemma that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in costuming or dress-making!  It's just the body shapes and faces that intrigue me ... although having said that, I do love the wild abandon some doll makers use when creating their pieces - they seem to work completely freestyle and conjure up magical imagery with tiny bits of beautiful fabrics, sequins, beads ... ah such lovely beadwork!  It's all so head spinning!  So, it seems I need to become a magpie, collect fabulous bits n' pieces and hoard them away, until I've unravelled my mish mosh of thoughts and developed A PLAN!

:

I has to laugh when I read your note about costuming as I pretty much feel the same way. In my doll guild people make those wonderfully embellished doll and I'm always so impressed, but sit staring at my stash of fabric numbly when it comes to dressing dolls. And as I want to sculpt realistic children I suppose I'd better start liking it as sculpting naked children will probably make me seem like a creepy wacko!

I also agree completely with Chris. Of course you have artistic ability!! Just look at your bears! If you want to sculpt, just try it. You will probably surprise yourself.

Irene Irenours-bears
France

etite-noire.jpgreduit.jpgnoire-avec-tresses.jpgreduit.jpgtroll.jpgreduit.jpgqueen-bellis1.jpgcelsia1.jpgFor those who likes cloth dolls, thes are some of mines

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

Why am I still here if time management is a goal??? bear_original

LOL!!!!!!!!!   Me too bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

All Bear wrote:

I'll have to look that one out, it sounds just the job!

This is maybe the most British thing I've seen written on the board to date.  It's just not how an American would say the same thing.  I love being part of an international community!  I've already adopted "Works a treat!" and "Clever clogs!"  This one will take longer to memorize (hey, I'm getting older by the minute), but how handy it will be!

I can almost hear that lovely accent as I read.  Thank you for putting a smile on my face (I love Europe and "other" places in general)!

bear_original bear_original bear_original

Irene...Your dolls are jaw-droppingly gorgeous and exactly what I've been studying up on.  I think I'm going in a slightly different direction because I found a "muse" to follow that calls for Paperclay faces and more abstract, less realistic bodies, but the Patty Culea books -- in which I saw one of your gorgeous girls! -- have been an absolutely inspiration.  Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!  Such talent!

Kent
Website

Irene, what beautiful dolls ... thank you so much for sharing them! bear_wub

Tami, I'm so pleased to hear I'm not the only person with a somewhat 'wacko' attitude towards clothing dolls!  I like fairy wings ... d'you reckon they'd cover it???? bear_whistle

Shelli, you've made me chuckle here in Kent.  It didn't occur to me that I was sounding frightfully British me dear!  If you'd like a variation to add to your collection of terribly English phrases, you could sneak in a 'just the ticket' ... or even (dare I say it?) a 'tickettyboo'!! bear_tongue

Right, time for me to get the hoover out - I bet you Americans don't do that do you?!!  Nothing less than vacuuming would suffice across the Atlantic eh?! bear_grin

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

I've been spending a whazoo of time and money on cloth doll making over the past three years. Absolutely love the little darlings!  There are so many techniques to learn, and every time I turn around there is something new to try out.   It's been a time of experimentation and fun. For 2007 I hope to 'come out of the dolly closet' as Dilu puts it with a portfolio of work.

Just registered this weekend with my sister for the CDAA (Canadian Doll Artists Association) Doll Conference in Ottawa in May.   Can't wait to go....    Judi Paul and I went to the NIADA conference last year in Minneapolis  and had a great time.   I'm incredibly inspired by seeing the works of the NIADA artists.  Several of them will be teaching at the Ottawa show.

hugs,
nt

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I want to design something really different that every one has to buy !!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

But really I need to freshen up for me ... I get bored really easy with designs, and I need a few new ones. I used to make dolls , maybe I can do a set of something .It would be interesting now that I do smaller designs. UMMMMMMMMMMM thats it !!!

kissbear.gifkissbear.gifkissbear.gifkissbear.gifkissbear.gif

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

dolls-400pix.jpg

Irene !!!!! WOWIE ZOWIE !!! Yep you make dolls !!!! bear_grin

Lets see if I can get a picture of some I made years ago.

I still have the two on right top and right bottom

bear_grin

Ellen Borggreve wrote:

I used my Barbies to swing at my sisters head when I was little (and my mom never understood why we always had 2 small black spots next to eachother :crackup:  :crackup:  She should have given us Barbies little sister, she did not have the 2 lethal weapons that Barbie did have....)

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Ellen you've cheered me up to no end!!!  It took me a bit to cotton on to the 'two bruise marks', but then the lightbulb lit  :crackup:

I too have no end of respect for people that can make the dollies.  And Irene, I would SO love to get one of your dolls for my dear Mamoo  bear_wub   Now only to make the $$ happen for it  bear_rolleyes

But for me, the dolls remain ever so scary.  They're not quite so bad in the daytime, but at night...well, let's just say I prefer to have my big bruin about to protect me  :hug:  bear_wub

Ellen, I'm really looking forward to this wombat of yours.  I think they're awfully cute  bear_wub

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Fair-Lady-small-for-TT.jpgHi all... just wanted to add one of my dolls... don't seem to be having much luck with the photo adding concept...hahahhaha     

let's see if it works this time..

bear_shocked  I don't suppose you have a magic wand that I can buy to make me look like this dolly's figure?  bear_shocked

She's postively goregous!!!  :clap:  How long did she take you to create??

Calgary, Alberta
Website

This is one of my first efforts with a polymer clay face and then cloth over....the facial features are then coloured on with water colour pencils.  I have never considered myself artistic at all.  I took an online class...got instructions on how to draw and colour eyes etc.. ... and just went from there.  I still look at my notes that I downloaded...

I, too, don't really sew and certainly don't want to learn to sew clothing.  This is all just pieces of fabric... stitched directly onto her body and made to look like a dress.  Trust me..I can't sew clothes!  lol    the hat is cardboard base... feathers, flowers and ribbon.   Great fun glueing and stuff..... her little boots are Apoxy Sculpt clay..     

Check out my picturetrail for some other dolls and there are no scary clowns...although one of my guys is holding a jester head...but not a scary one.....  I am really quite a rookie in the doll making world...but seeing is believing..if I can do .... I am sure you all could do it.    I have not sculpted a cloth face yet as it was easier to do the clay and put cloth over.  I got the shape I like and no stitching to try to make it look right.  I am a bit chicken to do much with my face as far as sculpting after I paint the eyes and stuff cuz it still is a lot of work for me.    I seem to think I would wreck it...but I must try it soon....
I just finished a doll for a challenge at Joggles.... they are not up on the site yet.   I probably should not show them til the results are in.  But...soon... and I have to say I pretty proud and pleased with how she turned out.

Calgary, Alberta
Website

Hahahahahha..... I want one of those too Deb.... but no... she has had major cosmetic surgery.  Tweaked all over the place!!

Calgary, Alberta
Website

All told she took me about two full weeks of time...at about 6 hours per day.....I guess.  I began her in England with a fairly well known doll maker...and finished the trims back home in Canada.  It is my first effort with a lot of the techniques...so pretty slow and having her there to help was a treat....   the trims of course, were just hand sewing and I could do that okay alone.

Oooh, yes, all your dollies look very safe, and friendly...of course its still daylight  bear_rolleyes ....Did I mention I was a coward??  :crackup:

You do such beautiful work though!  bear_wub   LOL...and let me know as soon as you find one of these magical wands...surgery or no, I'm sure that wand wouldn't rest for quite some time!!!  :crackup:

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Afraid of Dolls ??????? The only ones that are scary to me are the antique ones with the teeth !! THOSE ARE SCARY !!!!

Weeeeelllll, they are fine during the day, but at night  bear_ermm  bear_shocked  :twisted: They do tend to go all scary for me  :twisted:   I admit it, I'm a coward!  There's just something about them scares the daylights out of me at night...especially those clowns  bear_sad  :cry:

Give me a warm, cuddly teddy any day  bear_wub

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

dusty-300pix-chest.jpg

Thats funny does this clown scare you ???

But I know how it is , my youngest who is almost 22 still doesn't like clowns !! I used to collect clown lithographs and still have them but I tried to put one in his bedroom a few years ago and he freaked out Soooooooo I guess clowns are scary when you think about it !!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I'm starting my first formal air-brushing class next week with Judi!
We've had a compressor and glass carving cabinet in the basement for 20+ years. I'm ready with everything from the Copic system through a tabletop model from the hobby shop to Mr Giganto downstairs. I'm psyched!!

Board footer