Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just started needle felting over the weekend.  I have a few questions if anyone has the answers....

1)  How do you connect needle felted body parts such as faces and paw pads to a mohair/synthetic bear?

2)  how do you joint a needle felted bear?  like if you use cotter pins how do you attach ...??

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

You just felt the pieces onto the mohair. I'm sure Judi can explain that better, but basically you poke your needle into the bear through wool and fabric until it sits as you want it.

I use string jointing for felted bears.

Cheers

Sabine

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

thank you!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Kim, start the piece you want to do off of the bear first . Once you have it started then fit it to the mohair and get busy with the needle. I  measure and cut with the scissors.
If I dont think a piece is working say; his nose I will cut it off and try again. I felt the nose piece the cheeks mouth all on the foam before I attach. I get a basic shape that way. Then I add more shiver and sculpt. With needle felting it is trial and error. A very hands on craft in the way it is taught and learnt. I keep a little finger bowl with one drop of dish suds and a little warm water. I use my finger to lightly wipe over the felt , it settles the fibres down and lets me sculpt better.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

thank you, very helpful info!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Matilda is right. I use a finer needle (purple one?) so it goes through the mohair easier. Say for a nose start off on your pad, when its halfway to where you want, start felting onto your mohair bear. I go around the edges first then in the middle. You can add more if you need to.
Thread joints are a good way for the small bears and when finished you can just felt a bit over where the knots/indents are to get it smooth. I have just started so thaks for the sud tip Matilda.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

BO_7.jpgKim, If you are going to do larger pieces it is a good idea to sew a partially felted piece onto the bear.  Not tightly, just so it cannot be pulled off.  Then felt it into the bear adding more wool.    Smaller areas can be felted right onto the mohair bear.  I like to trim down the area first.

I agree with you ladies that the finer needles work best.  A 36 just to start with.  You really want to pull those fibers into the bear.  Then 38 S and T,  then to a 40.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you Judi bear_original  needle felting pro judi bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

aahh Kim...I have just had lots of practice...and bloody fingers to go with it.

Like Amanda and Matilda said...it is just something you learn as you go.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have pricked myself sooo many times!  My dogs jump every time I make a noise because I stabbed myself!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Kim

I spent several nights trying to figure out a better jointing system for needle felted critters....I couldn't wrap my pea brain around felting cotter pins and discs in.....so....I suspect thread jointing is what we are left with.....

By the way- did you know that Judi, yes our Judi, is giving a class at the end of this month on felting faces?  If you are interested go to e-bearzuniversity or kranbearys to check it out.

Judi wont toot her own horn, but i will- she does great lessons, explains things very very well, and has tons of pictures to explain every move.  I took an aibrush class from her, and have signed up for the felting faces classes.

I have a pigmonkeybear that is really needing a face !

Dilu

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Diul,
I have signed up for the class as well. I am new at needle felting. I tried a nose from the class I took from Nancy.
Look forward to taking it.
Lynn

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Lynn and Dilu
See you in the needle felting class with Judi
Hugs
Gail

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would love to take that class and extreme sculpting but I cant - I am in the red as far as my bearmaking goes... I just cant afford to do it right now bear_sad:(

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I'm doing that class with Judi too!! Will be fun with so many friends in the same class!
I have a bear with 'extraterrestrial' qualities after I attempted to needlefelt eyebrows on him...now he needs a makeover!
Looking forward to it starting!

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Wow Judi,
your bears are incredible. I just visited your website and I'm still drooling.
I'm hoping to join the needle felting class too.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I love you guys:)

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I just thought of something ladies!!! (yes it hurt)
The one little bear I made  I attached the head on with a bead at his neck. I have done this before with tiny mini's, where I have used a bead between body and limb. They are just thread jointed. But the bead gives some stability to the thread and the shape of the bear.
I tried it this way because I can remember that when thread jointing I always seemed to pull the thread too tight and that would put pressure on the fabric which made dents.   The beads elimenated that problem.
Not too far into the future I will be able to post my bears so that you will be able to see" what not to do" when making bears.:lol::lol::cool:Hope this helps.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Matilda,
that is a really great idea.  I ,myself , don't make entire needle felted bears, just the faces, ears, and paw details onto mohair,  but your idea for jointing the limbs of needle felted critters makes great sense.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi Judi,
would needle felting a face work on a miniature bear of about 3 inches ( similar to my avatar). i realize it couldn't be very elaborate, mainly the muzzle to give it a bit more character??

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well Kim, honey, I am sure we can all relate to the money thing.....I know I can, but when you can maybe you can get into the class...We will miss you!

To the rest of you wonderful ladies, great!  I am positivelypositive we will all learn a lot and I am hoping to get a real face on poor pigmonkeybear.  He sits forlornly on the shelf, faceless, so he can't even cry.  And my naughty Gollies make fun of him.

Judi, you sweetheart you, I am looking forward to learning more from that wonderfully creative mind and imagination of yours!

hugs

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Rikki,
Yes you could needle felt a small bear.  Yo uwould need to use the smaller needles sizes 38 and 40.  If you look at the post in the Showcase section of this forum, I have a white bear with a smaller bear in the same photo.  That smaller bear has the felted face and is about 4.5" tall.   I say go for it!

Dilu, you always know the sweetest things to say.  Golly your'e a dolly!

Hi Judi,
that is wonderful. He's so cute. I'm actually getting a bit ahead of myself, don't know much about felting as yet, but I'm sooo looking forward to your class.
Must have been my lucky day, last week when  I joined this wonderful forum.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Ours too, Rikki!

Eileen

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hey Dilu and All,
Maybe when the class starts, we can all post before and after pics. And we'll either encourage more people to join Judi's next class...or put them off forever!!:lol:
Bet my "ET" bear is far sillier than your pig monkey!:P

Board footer