Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Well, I am feeling like an alien, as I cannot benefit from bid4Bears or the BAO toolbar as I cannot list any bear on Bid4Bears because it does not work properly with Mac OsX (I did try with Internet Explorer on my Mac but it keeps bugging again and again) and I cannot install BAO toolbar for the exact same reason!!!!

There I feel i am forgotten by the people who created these programs.
I thought that in USA and Oz there were many users of Mac OsX so we would not been forgotten like that!!!!

So frustrated there!

I am the only one with that feeling?

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Hi Sophie,

I am using a Mac - they are excellent computers - I wouldn't touch a Microsoft computer now that I have experienced a Mac!!

Anyway,  I have been able to list on Bid4Bears.  I use the internet programme 'Firefox'.  If you try and use 'Safari' or something similar, then it will not work.  You can download the Firefox explorer for free from the Apple website.  I'll go an find the link and then post it here in a minute.

I have found a similar problem when trying to do my own website.  Safari cannot display it properly, so I use Firefox and have had no problems!!

Hope this helps!!!

Edit:  I'm back!  Try this link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/i … refox.html

You can download Firefox for free.  When it is installed on your Mac, you can use it in the same way as any internet browser, but it should allow you to list on Bid4Bears. 

Let me know if you have any problems, and I'll do what I can to help.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Samantha, i Do have Firefox but Bid4Bears does not work with it when it comes to list a bear. I tired it!  bear_cry  why does it work for you and not for me????  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

for my Freewebs site, I had to use Firefox to be able to edit etc like you, as it did not work with Safari, so I thought irt would be the same with Bid4Bears, but unfortunately it does not work either.
It looks slightly better with Opera, but i fear it will bug before I get one item fully listed. when I want to add some text after I pasted one paragraph from Word, it bugs. So i will see.
Back to firefox, it sounds very strange that it works with you and not with me. Humm, are you under Linux or Mac Os?

That is so unfair!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

PS: I do love my Mac too!

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Oh!! bear_shocked
I'm not sure then!!  My Mac runs in Mac Os X.  Are you definitley using the latest version of firefox? 
I originally tried using freewebs on Safari, but when it didn't work I downloaded Firefox.  A couple of weeks ago, I tried Bid4Bears on Safari and it didn't work, so I tried it on Firefox, and it was fine!  I don't understand why it wouldn't work for you!
Does anyone else have an answer???
I can only suggest checking what version of Firefox you are using, and making sure it is a recent version!!
Sorry I couldn't help!!! bear_sad

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I have a Mac too. Safari blows, you have to use FireFox. HOWEVER...I have never been able to get B4B to work. I can't even view bears, it always says there is nothing listed. That is the ONLY site I have ever had a problem with. Weird.

Cheltenham, UK
Website
nimbleknot wrote:

HOWEVER...I have never been able to get B4B to work. I can't even view bears, it always says there is nothing listed.

How strange!!! bear_wacko
I can view B4B perfectly with both Safari and Firefox, my only problem comes when I want to list something, and then I have to use Firefox!!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

My Firefox is regularly updated so it cannot be the problem.

I will have to check again my preferences to check if I have not forbiden soething without knowing it.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Hey, it sounds that now it can work with firefox.
It may be because I emptied the "cache".

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

I feel so relieved!

Thanks for trying to help, girls!

I don't know if i will list something today but I will let you know if it works!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I did it, I did it!
I did it!

I have listed my first bear on Bid4Bears!

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Hello to my fellow Mac users!

I cannot get the BAO toolbar either...not even on Firefox. I agree about Safari being a problem. I tend to use Flock all of the time.

Your discussion about listing on Bid4Bears was informative for me because I have not tried listing there yet but I did want to try it soon. So now I know that if I am having problems then I will just remember the suggestions that I read here.

I love my Mac but I do agree that sometimes we Mac users get left out. Nevertheless, Macs are the best!!!

:hug: ~Kathy

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Sophie,

I'm so glad you have got it to work, and I have checked out your bear on B4B- she looks great!!!  Good luck with the auction!!!

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I'm late in this discussion, but I have Mac too and I have listed on b4b when it was new, using Firefox. Don't know what the BAO is though. Anyway, the only reason why Mac users are sometimes left out is that Microsoft has managed to establish its own protocols as pseudo standard for web functions. If web designers would follow the international, brand neutral standards then everybody would be able to use all websites. So its really not a Mac problem. Linux users encounter similar problems. I just ignore sites that don't work, although its gotten a lot better than just a few years ago. There are hardly any that won't work.

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

HURRAH for Firefox, pbbbbbbbbbbft on Microsoft...

And yay for Macs.  Gotta love 'em.

Amelia

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

not sure if this is the place to ask, but why does everyone want the BAO toolbar? Am I missing something cool that it does?

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

minkbears wrote:

I cannot get the BAO toolbar either...not even on Firefox.

It is only available for Microsoft Windows 2000/XP.

QT

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Both Steven and I are using PC's at the moment, but that will change in the next few months when we both will be changing over to MAC's, I'm really tired of all the crap and problems with PC's  and it's been long over due for us to get a MAC.  Most of our friends have them and love them and they all state they could never go back to a PC.  We are really looking forward to it, I know it will be a big change for us since we are so use to how a PC operates and having to use different programs for MAC's vs PC.

big hugs

Shane

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Shane - you won't regret the change!!! 
You will probably find it easy to make the change, as a Mac is so easy to use, because everything about it is so logical!!  Isn't it funny how anyone who uses a Mac is passionate about them, whereas you never see anyone who uses a PC raving about them!!!!

Waterloo, Ontario

Oh Samantha so right you are,  I love all of our friends Mac computers, they just make so much sense and are pretty much idiotic proof.  Steven has been a little apprehensive about it as he is so use to a pc and being a Tech kinda guy at his work where they only us PC's he was so worried about having to get all new programs to do this and do that.  I told him they come with pretty much everything you need  bear_grin , granted it's going to different operating system and I think that's what scares him the most, but all our friends tell us it's not a problem and they will help us out with any problems.  I gave up on Internet explorer over a yr ago, I just hated it and I have been using Firefox which I think is the coolest browser going.  We are really looking forward to getting them, I think we are going to go with an I book for each of us, since we do so much travelling it will be nice to be able to take them along with us.

big hugs

Shane

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You can have the best of both worlds by using this software Parallels to run Windows applications on a Mac.

QT

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I am finding this discussion re Macs and PC's so interesting as I need a new computer desperately and have wondered if I should stick with a PC or try a Mac. You are right - people who have Macs DO rave about them and I've never heard anyone rave about a PC - swear a bit maybe!  bear_grin , but not rave!!! Macs are more expensive and if I did get one my daughter keeps telling me I would be on my own as she knows nothing about them. Being the computer challenged person that I am I can't decide if I would be better off with a supposedly simpler to operate Mac and NO help at hand, or stick with a PC, that I at least have finally learned a few things about, and would have help readily at hand???? If only I could just keep my old computer with Windows 98 but it is becoming more and more obsolete by the second - sigh!!!! If I wait much longer I am sure it will give up the ghost on me and I will be forced to take action - and possibly more action than I want if I lose all my files along with it!  bear_grin

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I just switched from a PC to a Mac. I got the Intel based Mac so I could still boot natively to Windows for gaming. I also have the software Quy recommended Parallels. This way I didn't have to repurchase software I already had.

The Mac takes a little bit to get used to (about a week), some of the keys function differently, but once you get used to it you will love it.

Firefox is definitely the way to go. Safari isn't compatible with a lot of websites and I just hate IE.

Hugs,

Waterloo, Ontario

Edie I would suggest you go with a Mac, they do cost a little bit more but basically with a Mac you just open it up and away you go.  NOthing like a pc with having to install all the different programs as it comes with a lot of the programs already installed.  I would recommend though buying from the Apple Store or from Apple online if you don't have a store near you.  Also friends of ours do run the parrallels so they can run windows as well, but remember then you will have to run an antivirus program on the windwos part of the mac (Mac's don't get viruses  like pc's do).

good luck and big hugs

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Edie, I would highly recommend a Mac.  I'm not great with computers, but if you have a basic knowledge of how to use a PC, you will find it quite straightforward to learn to use a Mac.  Everything seems so logical, that I was simply able to 'work it out'!!
You will probably be willing to give it the time that it needs to learn to use it, as you don't waste much time with a Mac - no sitting around waiting for things to happen!!  I never used to use the internet very much with my old PC, as it was such a struggle, and so time-consuming to get it going, but with my Mac, I just switch the wireless internet on, open up the Mac, and away I go!!!

Shane, I have an iBook, and I love it!!  I am planning on bringing it with me when I come to the States in the summer, as a lot of our hotels have wireless internet access, so I can keep in touch with the world!!

Waterloo, Ontario

Cool Samantha, that's why we want I books as well.  It's great to be able to stay in touch with people when you are travelling.  I forgot that you were coming over to the States,  you are doing TBAI aren't you?  or was I mistaken on that  (my mind sometime gets so mixed up  bear_grin )

big hugs

Shane

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Macs rock!!! What they cost more in buying they save in headache and support needs. You should still switch the firewall on and be careful with what you open in an email or on the internet, because theoretically, Macs can get virus and they can be hacked, but it is extremely rare, because its no fun for the hackers as long as there are few Macs around (maybe 10% of the market?). Mind you that will change if Macs become more popular. So don't ignore security, but there's no need to be as paranoid about it as you have to with a pc.
I believe that new PCs now ship with Vista preinstalled and you really don't want that. From what I hear its the worst, buggiest, malfunctioning excuse of an operating system ever released. The foreign language versions are reported to be so badly translated that they are practically unusable. It took them 8 years to try and plagiarize the Mac (Windows was an imitation of a Mac from day one) and they still didn't get it right. I think Microsoft just dug its own grave  bear_tongue  bear_whistle

Board footer