Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

loopylou Posts: 35

Does any one know if you can do the fabric sew in labels, for your bears, on the computer at home?
I have been looking around at different companys and they seem quite exspencive, so woundered if it was posible to do my own.  bear_smile

Louise

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Louise there are some ideas in past discussions here if you do a search for " Tush Tags".

Here are some ideas :

Method 1) My favorite method is to print out the labels on Iron On Tshirt transfer paper that you get at a craft store.  Iron the labels onto a piece of ribbon.  Simple and very nice effect. 

I use a roll of narrow, white,double-sided satin ribbon and make my labels just the right size to fit the ribbon.  I print a whole sheet, cut the paper labels apart and iron a whole roll of ribbon at a time .  I just cut off a ribbon label as I need it  fold in 1/2 and sew into the bear.   Remember to space them so there is a seam allowance to sew in when you cut apart.   

100_4041.jpg

Method 2) design and print your labels on fabric paper.  They are specially made fabric sheets that you run through your printer like a piece of paper.   Fray check the edges of the labels.

Note you can make your own fabric paper by fray checking a piece of cotton  fabric ( or coating it with  white glue thinnned with water)  Let it dry then iron it onto a piece of waxed freezer paper.  Run it through the printer to make labels.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Tammy I love that ribbon technique!!

I bought the Fabric paper from Wal-Mart and made my own using Word!

Jane

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Tammy,

Thank you so much for posting your technique and photo! That is the best idea I've seen! I've been wanting to add tush tags to my bears but wasn't ready to dish out all that money to a company who have strict policies on using their own lettering style. Now with your technique I can make my labels the way I want them to look! Thank you thank you for posting this!! Can't wait to give it a try!  :dance:

-Eliza

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Tammy wrote:

Louise there are some ideas in past discussions here if you do a search for " Tush Tags".

Here are some ideas :

Method 1) My favorite method is to print out the labels on Iron On Tshirt transfer paper that you get at a craft store.  Iron the labels onto a piece of ribbon.  Simple and very nice effect. 

I use a roll of narrow, white,double-sided satin ribbon and make my labels just the right size to fit the ribbon.  I print a whole sheet, cut the paper labels apart and iron a whole roll of ribbon at a time .  I just cut off a ribbon label as I need it  fold in 1/2 and sew into the bear.   Remember to space them so there is a seam allowance to sew in when you cut apart.

That's really cool Tammy.  I was wondering.  Does it matter what color the ribbon is or does it have to be white?

Thanks for the idea!  I currently use the June Tailor Fabric Sheets from Joanne's but I bought some cool ribbon the other day so that's why I'm wondering...

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Glad you guys like this idea, but I have to give credit to someone else for creating it.  I just can't remember who it was ( funny, I almost thought it was you Lisa ! )

It seem to work best with white or a light color ribbon.  I tried a light blue but you can see the "transfer wax"  from the paper  on the non- white colors, and the colors aren't as vivid.    But, it certainly can't hurt to try another color if you choose.  p.s.  I use the June Tailor Print & Press sheets for these labels.

loopylou Posts: 35

bear_grin  Thanx for th advice.  bear_thumb

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

here is another option if you want woven labels for cheap, i use luckylabel.com. they are in asia,
but my transaction was very smooth. i just ordered the "name tapes", and i LOVE the way they look!
i used to stamp my logo on ribbon, but it was a time consuming task, and for $20 i had 50 labels
ready to use when ever i wanted...i am lazy i guess!!  bear_whistle 

the big upside to the iron transfers is getting a label with your own logo on it.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I've also ordered ribbon with my business name pre-printed on it from http://www.namemaker.com.  I use it to tie my tags onto my bears arms.  But now that I think about it, the thicker width would be great as a tush tag.  And extremely reasonable.  The turn-around is not to quick though so if you want it tomorrow it's not going to happen.  I think it takes 4 to 6 weeks.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

WOW! This IS a great place to belong to!! Thanks Tammy bear_thumb
Bear hugs and wide Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

P.S.  The first time I ordered from their I used the Park Avenue Script and found that it was hardly legible.  If you order from them, my suggestion would be to either use the Bodoni, Post or Gothic.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Excellent idea, Tammy.  I've been using the "printing on fabric" method, but I like the ribbon idea better.

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

ooh this is something ibe just started looking at ...
whats good ideas ... wonder if i can be bothered actually ironing tho ?
cat xxx

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

You can also make your own printer fabric using freezer paper.

Iron the fabric to the paper and print on it as normal.

Works great!!

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Tammy, I love your tags also,  I have been using the fabric sheets and fray checking the edges but I like yours with the nice finished edge way better. Thanks for passing on the great idea! bear_thumb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

It is a brilliant idea using the ribbon and Tshirt transfer paper.
I use the fabric paper to print mine out on but it is rather think to sew when there is four layers.
I had thought of the Tshirt thing myself when I bought this paper. But after using for another project I wasnt happy with the fact that the edges were prone to peal back or chip.
Now I'm not saying this happens, will happen or has happened for Tammy.  I have a strong feeling that You are using a differnt Tshirt paper than what I was using Tammy?
I used: CELCAST T-shirt transfers for white tshirts. washable easy to iron on.   Well thats what they say hahaha

I would love to be able to add my own design to ribbon. Since I use a sketch of my Puddles not writing as my tushtags. They would look super on ribbon.
Which transfer paper do you use Tammy? and or any tricks?  bear_whistle
Wendy bear_thumb

Weymouth
Website
matilda wrote:

I would love to be able to add my own design to ribbon. Since I use a sketch of my Puddles not writing as my tushtags. They would look super on ribbon.

oh wendy - imagine a whole row of super sketch puddle ribbon ?
ooh yummy !

cat xxxx

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Tammy, I am trying to do a tushtag but every time I add a bear picture it lowers my name and it's not central to the picture, so there is a big gap above my name and if I add a second line it goes below and looks terrible.
Any clues :pray:

Weymouth
Website

you need your help menu on the prog you are using - word etc -
and look up text wrap
it will let you chose to put the pic beside the text , nice and snug

does that help ?
cat xxx

Thanks Cat, will give it a try tonight, off to earn mortgage now bear_cry

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I can vouch for Tammy's ribbon technique, its wonderful!!!!!!!!!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  I'm still chuffed with mine each time I use them and I must have used around 20 already haha  bear_tongue   bear_wub  to the person Tammy learnt from who she can't remember  bear_whistle  lol.  Thanks Tammy  :hug:

Weymouth
Website

ok - i hope it helps
i hear you on the ol mortgage thing -
we have ended up with a big fat interest only mortgage - oops !
and ouch ...
never mind, i live in a house now, not a flat !
cat xxx

Cat -OOUCH big time, glad you have a house now, everyone needs a bit of green green grass :hug:

Weymouth
Website

yeah - now have you got your labels licked now?
cat xxxx

marky Posts: 1
loopylou wrote:

Does any one know if you can do the fabric sew in labels, for your bears, on the computer at home?
I have been looking around at different companys and they seem quite exspencive, so woundered if it was posible to do my own.  bear_smile

Louise

You can use Iron-On transfer paper. They come very cheap nowadays and you can order one on the internet.

Board footer