Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Okay, my curiosity is getting the better of me.   I have been wondering how the artists make the mouths that open and shut.   I'm sure you have seen them on E-Bay ...the wonderful dogs whose mouths can be displayed open or shut.  Anyone have an idea?

Hugs,

Wanda

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Never done that myself but I'm guessing wire might work, or lockline depending on the bears size.

That's my guess anyway

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

This is a total guess here but I'm thinking it's wired on the inside for posing.  Like a wire running the inside length/curve of the mouth piece(s). 

I have a toy that dates back to my goofy highschool days.
This is an online pic I found of the toy.  fred.jpg
"Fred" is still in my studio, he's like a stress ball with character.  He's wired all over for posing, even in his mouth.  I'd think it would be the same idea.....wire (??)

I just did repairs on a Zotty that saw it's entire mouth area ripped off by a playful Lab pup.  If you can see in this pic (mid repairs) that if I had a wire inside.... it would probably close just as I'm holding it here.  (???)

zotty2.jpg
zotty1.jpg

I'm curious to see what others think too, 'cause I'm just guessing bear_original

:hug:
~Chrissi

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I'm guessing as well that it is wire, the artist is Kumiko and Masaru Nakano they sell under Ma'Sal Creations.  They are nominated for both a Toby and a GT this yr, they have the most fantastic creations.  If you check out their website you can see the dogs with the mouths that open and close   www.ma-sal.com  . 

big hugs

Shane

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

I have seen them too, and have been wondering how it is done.  bear_original

K Pawz Guest

I am about to give one a whirl shortly...and I plan to use wire also!!! Tammy Hendricks on eBay makes them and so does Mary Holstad with their dogs, although I have no idea how they do it!!!

But Ma'Sal creations are awesome too, and some of the jointing techniques they use blow me away, and for the life of me can never figure out how they do it, not to mention joint each toe on a tiny puppy dog!!!

hugs,
Krista

Macomb, IL
Website

Thank you all for your suggestions.   My first thoughts were of wire also, but how do you  "hinge" the jaw, not sure if the wire is just "bent" each time the mouth is opened or closed or if there might be a hinge.   I know in dollmaking the wires are pushed into the body/head or whatever, but I don't think I have seen any that move.  And the wire would have to be sturdy enough so as not to lose the shape of the bottom jaw when opening and closing.   Or could there be a solid piece on a hinge type thingy inserted into the mohair jaw???    Questions, questions.

I'll just have to experiment.  Yes, I adore the creations of Tammy, Mary and Ma Sal .... extraordinary!!!

Hugs,

Wanda

lulubears Posts: 280

Tammy Hendricks will be at the Albuquerque Bear Show next month.  I'll ask her if she would mind sharing how the technique is done.  I need to e-mail her about a package I sent to her recently, so maybe she'll share through the e-mail.

I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Luann

Macomb, IL
Website

LuAnn,

Wonderful!! .... that would be great.  Not sure I will try one or not.   I have made the open mouth and know the technique for that, but I don't really use it.   I guess I just like to know what makes things work.   

I have been known to take things apart just to see how they fit together.  All the Christmas presents that had to be put together were done by me while hubby watched and tried to help. 

If she doesn't want to disclose her technique, that's fine, I respect that decision.  I do love her dogs and I will be at TBAI this August so I can meet her in person.

Hugs,

Wanda

lulubears Posts: 280

Hello again.  I got an e-mail from Tammy today and she says she doesn't use hinges.  Soooo.....the mystery remains.

You'll have a great time with Tammy.  She's a real cutie and full of fun and laughs!

Luann

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

MOUTH-HINGE.jpgHello,
Great question Wanda. I make a fair amount of open mouth bears and had put this question to my husband on how to do this a while back and he came up with this idea. I know that it is not correct in proportion, but I think that we could make it work.
My next project is a open mouth doggie. I should have him make another one up for me and use it. I'll be sure to show y'all how it turns out.

Macomb, IL
Website

Roxanne,

Hey, that looks like it will work!!! .... I just can't see a single wire without any stablization working for any length of time, but maybe so.

I had even thought about using the wire mesh I think Judi told us about when she used it in her bunny ears ... haven't gotten the details all figured out how it would work.

Good luck on the project and thank you for offering your solution.  I'll be watching.

Hugs,

Wanda

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I would like to see this come to being also. I make smaller bears and ummmmmmmmmm... makes the mind race . Maybe you will see one from me soon. I will share if I figure something out.

Macomb, IL
Website

Duhhhh ... it was right under my nose .... while thumbing through one of my favorite books last night, I saw a solution to the wired jaw.

If you look on page 130 of Nancy Tillberg's "101 Bears To Make", she shows one version of a wired jaw.   She uses a wire that is covered with batting and cloth to avoid having sharp edges in the jaw with the ends of the wire protruding well into the head to stablize the wire for manipulating the mouth.  Stuffing the head firming, which we all do anyhow, will prevent the wire from moving around.

Curiosity has been satisfied to a certain extent!

Hugs,

Wanda

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Are there pictures ? Do you think she will let us post them ? Ask her first .

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi all,

I just came across this and I wonder if this is what the artist is using?

It is halfway down the page and is called a:  CHATTERBOX® OPEN MOUTH http://www.teddybearcraft.com.au/whatsnew.htm

Hugs,

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

They look pretty cool Gijzette. Thanks for the link :dance:  :dance:

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

A while ago an artist showed me an adjusted nod and no mechanism that worked from the tail to open and close mouths. I noticed that all the bears on the site the Bear Guys mentioned listed tails in the specs. This would perhaps be neater than, and more secure than just a wired mouth which could get twisted out of shape if pressure was put on the wrong spot.

But I can't see how that would work with the poseable neck.........hhmmm.....perhaps some sort of combination of the two........

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

I think I have worked out a way for minis. I have been playing with some wire and have worked out a way for a open close mouth and also eye lids open and close. give me a month or so to make it in to a bear and see how it turns out.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've always thought that the hinged joints of little (or larger!) snap frame purses would be just the thing! Other mechanisms look as though they might sag open over time, while a pressure-joint as in a snap purse would keep a closed mouth shut. JMO!!!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_ermm  I've been thinking hard about this?!
I probably could use my open-mouth cat with the solid insert; cut the insert in half and add side joints, either wire or actual joints. Not too difficult. But then I started to think, Why :rolleyes:, I am going for a certain expression for each of my pieces. There is a good chance that this mechanism will lose that expression and maybe even do "bad things" to what I was trying to accomplish with the piece. I'm not against innovation. Right now I'm working hard to improve my use of an eye-socket and how I can use it to create real expressions in the cat's eyes. I'm just not sure about this adjustable thing for the future collectibility of pieces?
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Alberta
Website

Karen your pieces are  a work of art! But don't you think that collectors would like that technique? It is some thing different and new to the design. It would give you more expression in a different way. Wouldn't have to add it to every piece. Your cats and kittens have soul and are so real looking.

Shane I have seen Kumiko and Masaru Nakano work as well and they are  fantastic creatures thats for sure.

I know I am always trying to learn and improve myself for me an in hopes the collectors will enjoy the critters. I think we are all trying to try something different. I know I like to push myself to see if I can do it.

This is a great topic!!!!!!!!!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Lynn,
This is an interesting new idea, that's why I'm struggling with it. In the past I don't think any artist would have liked giving the collector the ability to change the look/mood of the piece they had designed. But I do think that in this age of internet, and control of what we see and watch, buyer interaction with a piece might become appealing. BUt I do worry about control of our artistic ideas bear_rolleyes  What if a buyer sets a certain expression on your piece, one that is not exactly something you would choose, and then offers the piece on ebay?
Karen

Alberta
Website

Karen,
Would you not still have the control as to the look of the piece as they could only show what the piece could do from the limitations you have put on the piece in the design. It would be no different then using Armatures I guess as there would be only so much they could do as well. I guess it is up to the artist to what they are trying to achieve and to what the collector will do after they buy the piece. I understand where you are coming from.

Board footer