Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

That's a great idea Hayley.  I also think that is a great way to motivate each other along the way.

So glad you're here Rikki!  Can't wait to see more of your work.

Needle felting is a process that can take some time to do.  It is really neat to see your work evolve as you go.  Every time I create a bear with a needle felted face it comes out different, like it has it's own personality.  It's also a very satisfying way to create bears.  You can get curves and details that you would not be able to get with mohair alone.

I love the enthusiasm on this board!!

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Hi Judi.
I personally luv inset muzzles on mini mohair bears, unfortunately ( according to hubby) mine all end up looking the same.  A couple of years ago, I started experimenting with sculptey as a possibility for a muzzle, didn't get far. Unfortunately my husband became very ill and I packed up bearmaking totally for the next 2 years. His health seems to finally be improving, so the bear supplies have been unpacked again. I'm  so looking forward to getting involved again, and best still something new to try ie needle felting the faces. Maybe I can get away from the "cloned" look. Needle felting sounds like a much better idea than sculpty.
Hopefully I'm not too dumb to do it.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Rikki, You will be amazed at the amount of detail that needle felting can achieve. The finest detail that seemed prohibitive due to size on the mini's. That is why we have all become so ADDICTED. I only ever made one mini needle felted bear. He turned out so well that I personally couldnt be bothered spending all that time on a mini. Give me muzzles instead. I cant wait to get bears finished so I can get cracking with the needles on their faces.
I'm a total nut, I talk to them as I sculpt their little (or not so little) faces. I design my mohair faces so they can accomodate the felting. I have learnt so much from Judi on this particular technique that I'm in awe that she has more knowledge to impart. (she's my hero):rolleyes::lol:. I cant wait to do the felting class. But unfortunately I have to wait for the next one because my allowance hasnt come through yet. I have my fingers cross that everyone behaves themselves in the first class, because if you dont........ there might not be another.!:(
So be good kiddies, play nicely AND remember , an apple for the teacher.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Rikki,   I can certainly understnad how you do not want you bears to look like clones.  I am like Matilda...I am nuts about needle felting because of the possibilities and you can create effects with wool and a few neeldes that you otherwise would nto be able to do.  I think you will like needle felting more than sculpy clay.

I used to make bear claws from sculpy clay but am now in the process of designing new ones and casting them with resign.  Wish me luck!

Matidla!  You have just made my day with such wonderful comments!  Thank you! Thank you!  You also made me laugh out loud.

((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hayley You're on!  It'll be duel to the ugliest...:lol::lol::lol:

bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK... I have a question.....

I'm wondering if I could needlefelt FELT ears onto a needlefelted head. Would I leave the places the ears are going loose? Would I add wool? Ideas?

Daphne

DSC00786-2.JPGDSC00784-2.JPGDSC00782-2.JPGDSC00783-2.JPGOK  Here are some new needlefelted critters.

Miss I-Never-Saw-A-Purple-Cow needs to look in the mirror.  For those who grew up in the 50's do you remember the little sunsuits we used to wear?  Well That's what Lilac is wearing.

Penelope Pinkikins primping for the prom......It's hard to see but Penelope got her navel pierced, she's gonna be grounded after the prom, that's for sure!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_grin bear_grin  Dilu . . . you are quite the character!!  Cute, cute creations!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Wonderful, Dilu,

I love the polished toes!

Eileen

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0420.JPGham1.jpgHere is the first thing that I needlefelted. I had not got a clue what to do but had picked a bit up to get me started. His name is Hammy the Whammy and is one inch. I used different coloured wool to get the blended look.

Oliver was the second bear that I needledfelted onto and is 4 1/2".

Hi Matilda,
I must admit, the thought of doing a totally needle felted bear doesn't appeal to me that greatly, though I luv the faces on these little critters.. I  still prefer  the fluffy look of  a fabric body. Now to find I can have the best of both worlds, a needle felted face/muzzle for expression on sewn  body. Truly  awesome. I'm addicted already and I haven't even started . The imagination's running a riot,  hope the fingers can do the work haa haa.  Counting the days till the class starts.

Hi Judi,
I would have possibly gone back to experimenting with the sculptey, but the needle felting makes so much more sense.
The resin claws sound an interesting project, I would imagine you'd have more uniformity than with the sculpty clay ( unless they were moulded also). Good luck with your project. Couldn't beleive it, I was checking out   a supplier site, nowadays you can even buy  glass (I think) teeth.

I noticed details are finally given on your class on the site.  30 days, wow, we're certainly getting our monies worth. Just wondering what happens if you happen to be away  for the odd day. Do you just catch up the following day on anything you miss? We're expecting our first grandchild any day now, so I may be away for  a few days, but I didn't want to miss out on the class either. Maybe I can get some sort of dial up internet connected where we're staying if neccessary.

Judi wrote:

Rikki,   I can certainly understnad how you do not want you bears to look like clones.  I am like Matilda...I am nuts about needle felting because of the possibilities and you can create effects with wool and a few neeldes that you otherwise would nto be able to do.  I think you will like needle felting more than sculpy clay.

I used to make bear claws from sculpy clay but am now in the process of designing new ones and casting them with resign.  Wish me luck!

Matidla!  You have just made my day with such wonderful comments!  Thank you! Thank you!  You also made me laugh out loud.

((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Amanda How cute!

Say you guys have you been to Mielkes Farm in Wisconsin?  They have an awkward web site but some nifty products.

They have all sorts of handles for the needles- some holding up to 5 needles at a time.  I just got that one and am looking forward to trying it.  They also have a super pin-vise holder.  The weight of the pin vise does more work so you don't have to!  I love it- its a wee bit pricy- $12.00 but I could see having one for all the different needles.....it makes it sooo easy....

ok that was my $1.98.  I keep telling you guys there's inflation. :lol::lol:

bear_tongue

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

$1.98 worth!  WOW!!! The price of comments in going up...I wonder if ti has anything to do with the hurricane.  Bless those folks. My prayers are with them.

Wow so many posts ...I have so many comments too.  I love the needle felted critters.  Dilu, your teddies have such charm and appeal.  They remind me of you.  bear_original:):)

Daphne, that has got to be the cutest hamster!  You should make more of those for sure.
Rikki, the classes are opened one chapter a week.  So don't worry if you miss a day you have the wholw week , plus you can print it out.  Best of luck with your new grandbaby.  You'll have to let up know when he/she arrives.  Have made the baby a teddy bear?

Also about the felted ears, you can felt them right onto the head but better yet is to sew them on, THEN felt them.  This will secure them.  The stithces are very easiy hidden with a bit of extra wool.  WELLA!

Your kola is stunning!  I want him.:)

Hi Judy,
thank you , that puts my mind at rest. I haven't done an online class befor, so not sure how it actually worked.

As for doing a bear for the baby, I wouldn't like to make a play toy, I'd worry about whether it was safe, so I'll probably create one of my revolving  music boxes for bubs. Had this nototion that I may start a series , a new one for each birthday.
They're only about 4  to 5 inches in diameter , so they won't take up a great deal of space.
wendy12vg.th.jpg
If it's a boy, I may need to come up with something a bit more masculine. haa haa

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA
Dilu wrote:

They have all sorts of handles for the needles- some holding up to 5 needles at a time

:P

Dilu that sounds like a deadly weapon.  Loved all the wee creations. Dilu what wonderful big ears they have got:lol:
What would it be like if Hamsters were really that small & cute.
I popped on today because my wrist was twinging after all the needle felting these last two days. I still havent finished the foot pads. What surprised me about them was that I had drawn up a design and kept measuring it against the design as I was going , needle feltled them on and while I was adding the extra fluff and sculpting they seemed to take on a life of their own. They dont even look close to my original design, they look better. The last toes I did resembled pinched toes. These ones are different. I was aiming at a design I did with trapunta paws. But they are different to that again. Cant wait to show you all. One week to go!!!!
Where would we be without Judi to inspire us on to brilliance. Such fun we are all having with it. I am positivly glowing with vitality at the moment.  Thankyou for being such passionate funny people.

Judi is there no limit to your creativity:lol:!!!
                                            come on ladies lets give JUDI BIG HUGS!!!!:):):):rolleyes:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ah, Matilda, I am so glad to hear your enthusiasm and that things are going so well for you.  YAY! 

havent finished the foot pads. What surprised me about them was that I had drawn up a design and kept measuring it against the design as I was going , needle feltled them on and while I was adding the extra fluff and sculpting they seemed to take on a life of their own. They dont even look close to my original design, they look better.

SEE!  You have been bitten by the felting bug!!!  I love how they evolve into a life of thier own.  I can;t wait to see your work!
  Rikki, what a wonderful music box!  What song does it play?  What a special and meaningful keepsake.  Very weel done!

I am honored by your comments.  Thank you ever ever so much.:):D:D:D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh:D I'll send hugs to our dear sweet Judi anytime!

Judi, did you get my PM?

Eileen

Hi Judi,
the music box plays "When you wish upon a star."

I can't seem to find the picture of " Daphne's Hamster" ? or have I misunderstood.

Matilda, do you actually have pictures of your needle felted creations on the site ?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Rikki - I think Judi meant Matilda's Hampster. I'm still trying to needle felt a moose....

Judi - thanks for the felt ears suggestion. How simple! I always try to make things way to complicated!

Daphne

tinybear The SleepingElf
UK

Hi all Im a newbie to the forum :)
but hope you dont mne me joining in ,I love Needlefelting , have been doing it a few years and its great to see it so popular
I have some pictures of my work on my picturetrail , I am lucky enought to teach at my local collage too , if your interested I have a tutorial on there , it was password protected , but Im taking it off- I just cant do anymore kits right now , and its a shame for it not to be used ,  and your welcome to have a look

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Welcome Carrie!

Your work (and your Mom's) is incredible--check it out, everybody!

I'm very grateful for the needlefelting tutorial, too. I've never tried, but I've got some wool and needles. Your tutorial is very clear and helpful. Thanks!

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi Carrie ! Welcome to this very wonderful board ! Bear makers are so friendly and helpful here..and we all have alot of fun too..
I went to your site...Wowsie !!! You and your moms creations are just so remarkable...I also was impressed by Picturetrail...your web site is really neat..it twinkles..love it !
                                                                                                     ........Winney

tinybear The SleepingElf
UK

thanks Winny (lovely name :D)

Hi Daphne,
thank you,
thought I was going blind, I couldn't find a hamster under your name haahaa.

Daphne wrote:

Rikki - I think Judi meant Matilda's Hampster. I'm still trying to needle felt a moose....

Judi - thanks for the felt ears suggestion. How simple! I always try to make things way to complicated!

Daphne

Board footer