Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys. At home today, and I've finally decided to deal with all the pictures of my work that are stored on my computer.
I'd like to hear how you do it. I know we must all have tonnes of pictures of our past work, and of course we want to save it.
I tend to make a folder for each creation and then put that folder in a larger, more general folder such as 'felting'. My 2 problems are this,

1) I think I may save WAY too many pictures of each bear. Something like 15 or so

2) As most of my pictures are resized for some reason or another (posting here for one!) Do you save your origianl large picture, and save the smaller, resized/cropped picture??

It's these questions that have prevented me from getting down and organizing.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Heather

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

When you get it all figured out...let me know... bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Like Gina, I save only 1-3 ORIGINAL pictures of each bear. I save the originals, unedited. Then I do my photo editing and save those as well. My folder system goes like so:

2005 Bears
   - January
      - Baxter
      - Abagail
   -February
      - Name
            and so on.....

This way if I don't get a tag made right away for a bear I know the month I made it as I don't always photgraph my bears right away so the date of the photo isn't always helpful. I also do a WORD document with each bear's stats.... mohair type, joint size, eye size, filled with, etc.

I could eliminate the month folders I suppose but I just like having things broken down. As I go back thru the last 5 years of photos I can go by month and see how my work has evolved. Kinda fun. :)

Now, if only I could organize all of our personal photos like this!!!! And delete the bad ones. I'd have so much more space on my hard drive!!!   :P

Daphne

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Girls,
              I use an Excel worksheet,and its so easy to see when it was born ,mohair used ,eye size ,joint size etc.But my pictures of the said bears are in my pictures.   Hugs Rita x

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

oh my lord!!!!  bear_shocked 3 pics per bear!!!!  Try 30 lol...Seriously I keep around 30 bear_tongue  After all, I will never see them again!
My advice is to always keep the original unadjusted photos...you might not like things the same way down the track, and you can always re adjust
hugs sarah

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I don't know if I could only save 3 pics of each bear!! But then again, I'm going to have a LOT of pics if I don't do it that way.
I love the idea of the months and years. Because, I think now I'll remember when I made them. But I won't. I love the idea of a spreadsheet. Don't know why I never thought of that one before. I would also like to keep track of where my bears end up living. All good things to look at down the road.
Daphine, is everything you do so organized LOL
Heather

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

My CD's are alphabetized (at least until my husband starts shuffeling thru them!) and the socks in my drawer go according to color. My bear making supplies are sickeningly organized, my spice drawer is organized by those I use most up from (alphabetized) to those I don't use much in the back (alphabetized). My linen closet.... each pile of towels, hand towels and face cloths go in the same color order so I could pick off the top of each one with my eyes closed and have a matching set.

BUT.... my bed isn't made, there is dirty laundry on the floor and there are dog toys EVERYWHERE! So, go figure!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Daphine, you're awsome! That's soo funny, I can just picture it. 

You should share how you organize your bear stuff.
I just finished my studio, I know, i'll share pics soon. I have everything in bins, all labeled etc. I love this!! I built some shelves in the closet and I can just stand there, looking at my bins, which are kinda clear, and get inspiration. But I do have trouble with a few things. Like full size sheets of paper, such as drawings, ideas, print outs. I have all this stuff just in one drawer.

And, your bed shouldn't be made, dirty laundry is meant for the floor, and what's a house without dog toys? LOL  :lol::D:P

Heather

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I tend to be tidy...except for my shoes...first thing to come off when I get home and I leave them all over (by the doors...mostly).

Shoes and I have a love hate relationship...I LOVE SHOES..just hate to wear them. 

I'm an odd duck!!!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL I'm like Sarah, I have about 30 pics - not because I'm sentimental, but I have about 8 per page on my website and then the original large sizes for submitting into magazines etc.  Tends to take up space on the computer.

I will be good and put them onto CDs.. I will!

Danni

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

At some point you have to thin out the best of the rest Heather.

What i do is keep the whole file for a few months, by then you have probably worked on the best piccies and will have 'fiddled' with them. Always save the original photos' in their original size and format in an appropriately named album and save the finished article under a sub heading. Occasionally copy all your pics to a disc.

NEVER get rid of pics until you've held onto them for a few months cos you'd be suprised how useful they can be

Penny bear_happy

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

A bit late jumping in here...

I have a main folder:  Bears

Inside that I have a folder named for each bear.

Inside each bears folder I have a folder marked "big" meaning...the large unedited photos.

At the end of the year, I burn all the bears photos to a CD (actually 2 CD's... one for back up)

Board footer