Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I know we discussed eyes before, but I don't think we discussed the different terminologies. I like the pre-crimped narrow loop glass eyes, but many bear supply shops don't really tell what type of loop their eyes have. Intercal of course does and also shows pictures, but with the risk of high customs fees I'd prefer to get them in Europe. I know I have bought them from some suppliers, but mostly by accident rather than by choice. Does anyone know if single loop is the British term for the narrow loops? I suspect it is, but not sure. What is the difference between German and English glass eyes? Is it the loop perhaps? If someone sells German eyes are they all crimped? Why would they call it single loop? To me both the round loop and the narrow one look single. I know there are coiled loops too, but how would one insert those into a head and what's the advantage?

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Coiled? That's a new one to me? Do you have a pic?
All I can picture are the little twist-in accessories that were popular in the 20s - 60s to keep the antimacassars, etc... in place. Haven't seen them in fabric shops for at least a dozen years as the furniture styles changed.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi, I would be interested to know about coiled eyes, I saw them on glasseyes.com (see earlier post) I wondered how they work, I had thought that you kind of screwed them in but now I'm not so sure????
anyone help!!!! bear_thumb

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I saw the coiled ones on glasseyes.com too, but I think I have seen them elsewhere before. I'll try to link the pic in here. What I'm mostly interested in is the term "single loop", which appears to be used by British suppliers for the crimped loop.

http://www.glasseyes.com/gifs/profiles/100owl.jpg
100owl.jpg

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Now that's intriguing!  I wonder how it works?? 

Sabine, I've no idea as I've found it to be quite the guessing game here in the US as well.  From the stores that carry pics, 'single loop' tends to indicate a wider, round, non crimped loop.  But this could be quite different for the ones coming from the UK.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Pardon my (modified) French, but what the heck is the purpose of *that* wire shape?????

I cannot see that it would be easy to install either: imagining the hole size to get the coil through might leave very little stable fabric ledge for the back of the eye to set against. It looks to be as wide as the eye bead!

And the strength of the whole assembly hasn't changed - it's still a single wire fused into the back of the glass.

I've begun using the 2 mm & 3 mm on the narrowed-down double wire and love them. The only *fault* I find is that the beads are round. I wish they'd make them in the flattened top shoe-button style.
In this respect, there's no advantage using these over onyx beads.

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I accidentally purchased some coil loops years ago and no matter how hard I try, I have yet to figure out how these can possibly be used without putting a HUGE hole in your bears head or being certain they will stay in place.....they will continue to sit in my "eye bin" probably forever! *smiles*

I would think a single loop is exactly what it says....it is a single loop that has not been crimped. I do prefer the ones that have already been crimped, as the wire seems like it is a little bit stronger, but to me its not a big deal to have to do it yourself either....I thread it, then crimp it and away I go. It takens me about 2 seconds to do this and it is a nice snug fit. I hope this helps you a little.

Bear Hugs,

Kim

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I did get some of the early English eyes and they had this kind of loop, it's no different to insert, you just thread the thread through the loop. That's how I did it at least lol. I prefer how they do it now tho with the pointy loop, since you don't have to bother with an awl hole even usually.
    Yes on the teeny eye sizes sometimes the coiled loop was a problem being as wide as the eye itselfl but I often find that its a problem with the rounded looped cheaper German eyes as well. I dont lik to crimp eyes always afraid they will break.
    Oh, just remembered, Gerry's Deluxe glass eyes also have a coiled loop like that as well, but the wire on those is much softer than the English ones were and has sometimes uncoiled when I try to set the eyes, very annoying!
    German eyes can come with the narrow loop and the wide irregular rounder loop. I find the wider looped eyes are *generally* the less expensive ones with a wider size and quality variation- which can be good (sometimes a 1/2mm can make all the difference) or bad (matching them up!) I buy all sorts- coiled, pointy and round loops- because I like the size options specially because I do smaller bears.
    If the loop shape is important to you, perhaps you can email and ask them?

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I ordered some 4mm delux colour eyes from Beary Cheap that turned out to be coiled.  I couldn't work out how to do it so i actually straightened the wire out with pliers and then formed a loop myself!  bear_grin

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL
cayascubs wrote:

I ordered some 4mm delux colour eyes from Beary Cheap that turned out to be coiled.  I couldn't work out how to do it so i actually straightened the wire out with pliers and then formed a loop myself!  :lol:

That is how you are suppose to do that.

On my bigger pieces I just leave the coil and thread it through and attach to the head like normal.  I don't bother with the awl to insert it to the head.
I don't make minis like Bobbie, but I think the smaller the eye then you will have to straighten out the coil and make a loop.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Jare Hares & Bears wrote:
cayascubs wrote:

I ordered some 4mm delux colour eyes from Beary Cheap that turned out to be coiled.  I couldn't work out how to do it so i actually straightened the wire out with pliers and then formed a loop myself!  :lol:

That is how you are suppose to do that.

You may be able to do it with the german ones but no way with those english ones lol the wire was a LOT stronger, I think you'd deserve a medal if you could straighten them out. The really teeny ones came with one thinner wire you bent yourself, but it was still much stronger wire than the German ones.
     Mind you you also paid more for the English eyes with the coiled wires- so I guess they didn't intend you to uncoil them- maybe the germans think differently lol.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I think we all think differently...  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_grin I have not had the coil ones, but i believe you screw them in like a normal screw.  put the point where the eye should be and screw and push.  Being old, I remember screw buttons like that for keeping curtains and couch and chair covers in place?? I think I will buy some to try it. Let me know if that works.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

haha, oh my gosh Pat I never would have thought of that but it makes sense!  So how would it stay tight once you have screwed it in the hole?

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

To return to my original question: In British teddy bear shops "single" loop means a straight = pre-crimped, narrow loop. I bought some and that's what they had. They are great, easy to insert and no risk of breaking by crimping bear_thumb . Looks like they are similar to the ones here at Intercal.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Sabine,  I  think sometimes the single loop is also open,rounded and requires crimping.One supplier I used once referred to the pre-crimped ones as 'Needle loops'.'Bear Basics' here in the UK only supply the pre-crimped ones  ...why not give them a try? Susan, the owner, is a lovely lady and is very helpful...

Board footer