Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Has anyone worked on a bear, that no matter what you tried, it just wouldn't work? 

Has anyone had a just plain old bad bear? :mad:

Just curious- inquiring minds....:D

Dilu

dawdlebears Posts: 11

I've made bears that I've finished and 'hated'. Trouble is I seem to sell them first!! The first one that I considered binning i put in a sale box for pennies and some one completely fell in love. Since then I've believed that every bear has someone for them - some bears have been taken apart, noses restitched dozens of times etc., etc., but....

No accounting for taste!

Dawnwww.dawdlebears.com

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

I made a cernit(polymer clay) faced bear whose face I could not love.  I felt sorry for it, but didn't feel it was my best work.  The great teacher who taught me to sculpt, promised me that somebody was going to think it was terrific, but after quite some time of lugging it to shows, it still hadn't happened (should I be telling this?).  Soooo..... I ripped the face off of the bear, chucked it and made a fur one for it, which I like much better.  Some times you just gotta go with your gut.

Click on links to see the bears.

http://www.pix05.com/t/chicols33744.jpg

http://www.pix05.com/t/chicoside3651.jpg

http://www.pix05.com/t/lacie_14_in_bear … eady50.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hmmmmm . . . well, have to agree with you that the fur face IS cuter.  But, your sculpting abilities are wonderful!!  Have you done more?

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Laura , the one with the fur face IS much cuter... About the cursed coat...do you think it needs an exocist ? I have never heard of a evil teddy bear, even when they dress up for Halloween they are just playing ..and are cute.

When I first started designing my long bodied fashion bear I think I must have made a dozen or so protypes...I knew what I wanted but boy did I ever vasilate a lot in trying to decide what shape did I want ! I have a few that look like the pink panther, LOL...then I have some that are way too skinny , malnurished bears.
When I first started emb. noses I did it too low...then I thought " What's the matter with this ..it dosn't look right " My kids still have those first bears, ever time I see them I laugh...
The first bear I ever made I got the pattern out of a magazine...He is made from dark brown fake plush, has real short legs and he is very fat. Definately a bed sitter bear, how could he ever go anywhere with those short legs...so In named him Scooter. I never did emb. a mouth on him as at the time I got busy with something else and my older boys kept swiping him to sit on their bed wearing their hat or sun glasses , this was suppose to hide him from being detected by mom. I still have Scooter....Winney

Exocisim for our real furs that are being made into teds?  YIKES :lol:

I missed out on alot yesterday- teach me to actually do something instead of being here!. 

Penny I think you need to bring the bear and yourself over here and we could dp some kind of a something on him.  I really had to laugh while I was reading your post, because before I got to that sentance I was thinking  'Chucky'

Laure-Miss Triple A- yep the consenes is the fur face. 

But what you learned from the scuptress will be usefull and just what you need for some other project.

Although I do have a problem looking at your sweet face and picturing you ripping off the face....There is so much energy in that-ripping. hmmmmm

Talk to you guys later-----

Dilu bear_original

You can run but you can't hide!  He'll find you.  :mad:

Department stores-over an hour away.  e-commerece - priceless. :/

I'm still working on being able to get some pictures up-when I do I'll post one of the hobbit house

Board footer