Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, all this talk about feet brings a question to mind:

When you machine sew foot pads to the leg do you sew with the foot pad on top or on the bottom? Why do you do it the way you do?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I first sew around the foot with the pad on top, then turn it over and sew around again with the pad on the bottom.  Gives the seams a little extra strength.  Soooooo . . . yes and yes.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I do the same as Sue!

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

I oversew them by hand first. Then machine sew them with the pad on top. I'll also make marks (little dots) right round a quarter of an inch in to remind me of the seam allowance. When I get to a seam, I stop, left the machine foot, check nothing's trapped, then carry on. I also tend to do this bit really slowly, sometimes even turn the machine by hand rather than use electricity so I can control it.

If I'm using leather, I handsew with a glover's needle.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

ha! I do all that by hand or I have very non-round foot pads.  :crackup:  :crackup:

You ladies must be a pro with the machine!

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I clip the edge of the foot in about 5 places, then pin on the pad, then with the pad down I sew around on the machine - twice.  I sew all my seams twice - once going one way, then turn around and go the other way.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I do it with the pad on top and feel like I really fight with it and have to go over places 3-4 times to get a rounded seam. Think I'll try it the other way or do as Sue Ann does.....

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I always sew with the pad on top that way I can keep a nice shape.  If I remember I sew again with the pad on the bottom that does tend to give the foot a better, more rounded shape.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

ha! I do all that by hand or I have very non-round foot pads.  :crackup:  :crackup:

You ladies must be a pro with the machine!

I was thinking the very same thing Heather bear_grin

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

After overcasting by hand I sew on the machine with the pad down on the machine.  I need to see what I am doing with the leg which is harder for me to get set properly...

Board footer