Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys,

just a quick question. I feel I need some feedback today.

I'm felting a cute little teddy bear and I'm wondering if I should joint him or make him more solid and             un-movable?

What do you prefer?? On one hand bec. he looks like a classic teddy bear it just seems right if you can move him arms and legs but on the other hand, a nice solid felted piece feels really good.

Guess I have mommy brain and I'm very indecisive today........thanks for your help!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

i personally prefer to have static poses for my needlefelted creatures so I don't joint them.

Marion

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

And I like them jointed so I can move them around. I've made a few felted bears for my parents and ever time I visit they are in a different pose... it's fun!!! Mom enjoyes being able to 'play' with them!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

So we're 50/50 so far.......thanks...........

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I prefer a felted bear (actually most bears) with no jointing. I like to tell a story with my pieces and I like it to be my story...not that I'm controlling at all......... :redface:  :redface:

Cheryl bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Funny, Cheryl I was thinking about it being a control thing too. The felted pieces I have done are more like sculpture than my mohair bears.When I felted my first bear, I made it a point of telling people when I showed them that he was not jointed, since they were used to my bears being poseable. And some people still tried to bend his legs!!! My husband's aunt nearly pulled his leg off!!  :doh:

I think it depends on what you are going for!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Yes, I think it definitely depends on what you are trying to achieve. I guess I prefer joints though for teddy style bears - I think I've only done a few bears not jointed and they were more realistic bears on all fours.  But sometimes I wonder why when I want them to be in a certain pose and I don't like people picking them up and moving the arms and legs or head and changing the postion! Sometimes I feel like sewing the joints into position after I've finished the bear so he will stay in the pose I've chosen - guess it is a "control" thing, Cheryl!  bear_grin

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I like jointed - especially for a teddy style bear.  I used to get a kick out of watching people change the position of my bears at a show - I would put their arms down and back a bit, and a lot of customers would come along and put the arms sticking straight out or slightly up, like they were reaching for a "cuddle".  Interesting how everyone has a different "posing" preference.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

felties.jpgI too like jointed for mohair bears but the felties are generally in a pose that I don't want changed!  I'm not really a controlling person   :crackup:

Marion

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Funny,
all bearmakers = animal lovers

all baearmakers = control freaks??  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

thanks for the opinions, although I'm as confused as ever! LOL

K Pawz Guest

HI Heather, I will say jointed!!! But where he is felted and you want him firm, what about thread jointing?

Hugs,
Krista

Board footer