Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

I'm hoping some of the very talented artists out there can help me with mouth sculpting. I can get a slight definition in the mouth and septum area however I want some real definition. Do you make it softer in the muzzel area so you can pull the stitches n further or is it realy really sculpted? Please help?:(

anne-marie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Anne Maire.

There are so many ways to work the mouth area that it really comes down to what you are comfortable with and what works the best for you.  There's more than one way to skin a cat (not that I want to ever skin a cat though!!!) so click on this link and it will take you to the mouth area of our Teddy Talk Library.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?search_id=96323833

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Hi Judi,
I clicked that link twice and there is no post there.  Maybe I did something wrong as I can be such a doofus sometimes!  LOL!!!  So sad as I thought it was a great topic too.  Maybe some of you have come up with some new techniques for mouth sculpting that will help.  Show and tell please!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think the link will work now, guys.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

No, I just tried it and it said "no hits returned".

As an alternate, you could go to the Library at the top of the page ~ where the little smilie guy is waving his arms.  Click on that and scroll down until you see 'mouths'.  And then see if you can find what you're looking for from there. 

Judi's right, there's more than one way to skin a cat (which can mean catfish in my area as well as Catamount, another name for cougar)!  And there's a lot of different techniques for the mouth.

You're probably wanting the info right now, but if you get the chance to get Nancy Tillberg's "101 Bears to Make", she's got excellent photos and several different techniques for various mouths.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Please try again . . . maybe you and I were posting at the same time, Debbie.  When I click the link, it goes straight to the "mouths" in the library.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

It doesn't work for me either. bear_sad

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Just tried it and got " no hits... bear_sad  "

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Well, thank goodness for the Library tab.  I found it that way.  What a great resource!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?search_id=96323833 

This is the correct link to the "mouth" subject in the library.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad
Still showing up as No Hits.... at 2:30 Central time zone.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I went up to the library, drop down, click on mouths.....  that's working for me right now...not sure why the link wouldn't bear_original

The library is FULL of awesome info (I've litterally read it end to end!), but don't be shy about asking questions.....if we reference the library all the time it's going to get stagnant out here and we'll have nothing to talk about. -boring- bear_cry

There have got to be some new approaches to working things, new explanations...new ideas too...there ae new members everyday!!  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
ChrissiCatherwood wrote:

if we reference the library all the time it's going to get stagnant out here and we'll have nothing to talk about. -boring- bear_cry

There have got to be some new approaches to working things, new explanations...new ideas too...there ae new members everyday!!  bear_flower

~Chrissi

Chrissi, you make me smile!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Okay, folks . . . my bad!  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  Quy explained to me how our software works and, although Judi's and my links worked properly for us as HAs, they won't work for the membership in general. ???????  So, I will stop linking you to the library and telling you IT WILL WORK- 'cause it won't.  Sorry . . .  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Here's the link: http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?se … 1023972020  bear_original

And I love the library and referring folks to it... it's especially a great starting point and many of us have answered questions there in the past that arise again and again and rather than repeating ourselves (not that we don't like to hear ourselves 'talk' but there are bears to be made, etc.) it's a great way to provide someone with great info that has been shared already and answers their questions. I'm sure if someone else comes along with a 'different' way they are sure to speak up! We're all good at that here!!

:crackup:  Okay, I just tried Daphne's link and that wasn't working either  :crackup:   Ah well, I suppose this is a good way to find out what links don't work  bear_original

And Chrissi, I agree, there's sooo many new people joining, and sooo many new techniques, that its a great chance everytime to go with new posts.   bear_thumb   Although the library itself is a cool reference.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Nope, that didn't work did it? What's up with that? I thought we could link to the Library searches? I'm pretty sure I've done it before. All that work Quy did to create that library for us..... such a great idea and useful tool! I'm sure there is a way to link to it again.

How about the following thread on mouths? Lots of great tips for sculpted mouths here! (No one seems to be offering any new suggestions here.) Let's see if it will work!
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=2907

PS. It works!!! Yippee! :dance:

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

Thanks to everyone. I did try the link  and it did work. I do make my mouths exactly the same way however i want it much much deeper and I just cant do it without getting a small hole at the bottom of each stitch up. I use black artificial sinew and i come down a fair distance down the upside down y to try to pull it up further but this still isnt working. I make my muzzel stuffed pretty hard with wool so thought maybe others dont pack it so hard? then would that not affect the nose if its softer? I guess i might as well give up..Sigh.. some times you just cant get that picture or idea out of your head and its sooo frustrating..
anne-marie

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
candybears wrote:

I guess i might as well give up..Sigh.. some times you just cant get that picture or idea out of your head and its sooo frustrating..
anne-marie

EGADS!! No don't give up!   When I first started out a very well known artist gave me some really really good advice.  She suggested I buy as many cheap/ thrift store teddy's that I could to practice sculpting on.  You could do the same to try to work through the look you're going for, without fear of messing up or ruining the "good ones".  She suggested I open up the back of the bears and shove as much stuffing into the head to get the "feel" I wanted...then practice sculpting.  You could work on the mouth/muzzle you want the same way. 

~Chrissi

I'll hop in with my little bit and see if some of it can help.  Chrissi's idea about the cheapy/thrift bears is excellent because as she says, you can practice to your heart's content without fear of the bear getting 'messed up'. 

For the stuffing, you'll want the area that the nose to be in to be as hard as a firm apple to get your foundation to do your nose onto.   However, you'll want the area that you'll be sculpting the mouth in to be slightly less hard, so that the material can give. 

When you got to do your sculpting stitches, use your thumbs to press up on the material, to form it into the shape you want, and then pull up on the thread.  Also, take a slightly wider/bigger stitch than you're doing now.  I've had the same problem where I wanted it to be ultra tiny, and it didn't have enough material to take a stable grip, and like you, I heard a nasty 'pop' and watched my thread disappear, and a hole happen in its place  bear_sad

I've done the sculpting across the bridge of the nose, taking stitches back and forth  to create the deep seat for the eyes, and a slight bulge for the nose.  And then the sculpting that's gone from the eye socket directly down to the corner of the eye to the corner of the mouth, and 'pull' upwards.  What you'll actually be doing is take your stitch down from the eye to the corner of where you want the mouth.  Then take the stitch back to the eye, leaving the thread loose.  Then place your thumb on the corner of the mouth, and push the corner of the mouth upwards to where you want it to be, and then pull up on the thread, taking up the slack.  Once you feel the tension there from the thread, release your thumb.  Keep making stitches this way, going up and down, but using your thumb (or whatever's easiest) to take push the muzzle into the position you want, then with the pressure on, pull again on the thread until its got the tension.  The idea is that you're taking the pressure off the thread and your mohair, hopefully keeping the thread from creating that hole. 

Let me know if that makes utterly no sense at all and I'll try to explain it better for you  bear_flower

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

Thankyou Debbie!! Yes this does make sence I wil give it a go tonight. And thanks Crissy thats a great idea using the op shop bears. This would be a great way to try new sculpting techniques to see how they work without hurting that precious moair fabric! :clap:  :clap:

anne-marie

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

It is always enjoyable to read back on past topics. To meet friends we havent seen for a while and to be inconversation with those that are no longer with us.   :hug:

That it is Matilda  bear_cry

I thought of another idea this morning, and I was pretty sure it was Shelli who mentioned it before (sorry if it was someone else).  Before starting your mouth sculpting, take brightly coloured pins, and place the pins at the corners of the mouth where you want the mouth to be.  Get them even and where you want the mouth before you start with the sculpting.  As Shelli had mentioned, once you start sculpting, the whole muzzle will be moving, and if you've got those pins in place for a reference, it will help you visually to keep the muzzle even as you pull up on the corners.  Don't be alarmed as the muzzle twists first to one side, then the other while in progress.  Don't bother as you do the first side, but as you complete the second side, keep using your hands to push the muzzle into the shape you want, and then bring up the slack on the threads.  A lot of it will correct itself as you sculpt the second side. 

And the more you practice this technique on the cheapo bears, the more comfortable you will get.  Not to mention, this can take a so so bear, and change it into one with an utterly adorable expression!!  I did that to a down and out TY bear back ages n ages ago.  Not only did I repair the poor thing (one leg completely off  bear_sad  ) but I added the needlesculpting, and then scissor sculpted it to look like a dear, dear friend who has a mustache.   bear_laugh  It was great fun, and Jurgen adores his bear still  bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
matilda wrote:

It is always enjoyable to read back on past topics. To meet friends we havent seen for a while and to be inconversation with those that are no longer with us.   :hug:

You said it!!!!

I'm always humbled when I stumble upon one of Loretta's (Winney Bears) posts. I miss her but how neat that her kind words and advice are still here for us to gain from!

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

wow super post
i didnt know how to use the library
duh !
thanks
i did ask about sculpting recently but got no general posts, just 1 pm
off to look in library now
cat xxx

Board footer