Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hello Teddy Bear Friends: I have these wonderful books on cloth doll making by Patti Medaris Culea. Intrigued, I e-mailed her about what classes she is teaching this year. I got an e-mail back stating there is a class in Jacksonville, Florida called "creative cloth doll making". I figure this would be a good one for beginners. So my question, has anybody taken a class with her? Do you recommend her classes?

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I have not personally taken classes from her, but I belong to doll artist guild where most of the members create cloth dolls. She did a class for the club before I was a member and they all loved it.

WhimzeeBearz Whimzee Bears
Moonee Ponds, Victoria

Go for it Michelle !!  I used to run a cloth doll club and we sponsored Patti to come to Australia to teach a class.  She is the most delightful, fun and giving lady.  We all walked away from the day with wonderful, colourful creations and even the beginners created the tiniest fingers and amazing faces with ease.  Worth every minute!!

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

oh Michelle do it I have done a two day workshop with Patti while she was down under last year and what a lovely lady she made me feel welcome and no question was to dumb and it was only the third doll I have ever made! Her creativity just oozes out of her if you know what I mean? She has a genuine interest in all fabric art she even asked me to take along one of my bears. I would highly recommend her.

Raewyn

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I have her books too and would kill(okay, maybe not kill, but certainly maim with intent! bear_grin ) to take a class with her...GO FOR IT! I'm gonna want details girl!
Cheryl bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I love her books!  I haven't yet made any dolls, but would love to.  I wonder if she does online classes?  I think you should definitely give the class a go ... it sounds very exciting!

Wow...Such high recommendations for Patti! So I will move forward into looking at the Florida class...I will let you know the details....

Thank you all for your advice.

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Michelle,

If you have the chance to take a class with Patti, you should do it.  I missed my opportunity to take a class with her in 1995, and I have regretted that ever since.  But I am a member of her online group.    She also teaches online classes sometimes too!  She even host a doll makers cruise once a year. 

She is full of life and energy.  Her dolls are fantastic.  I have her patterns and her books.  Patti is always inventing new ideas with fibers on the market.  She is full of ideas!   She is a really fun person!

If you do decide to take her class, I would love to here about all the fun you had!!

hugs, Sheila

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Patti Cullea was scheduled to teach at a Fiber Fair in No Illinois this past summer, as was I, as about a dozen of us had no vendor facilities ~ we'd be teaching with no one to man our booths. In attempting to organize a combined both, Patti was one of the few that kept in regular contact.
Alas, (that word always makes me feel that my back hand should be resting across my forehead..) neither one of us got more than one to 2 to sign up for our classes so they were cancelled. I too have books and belong to a few doll lists where she shares info ~ when she can fit surfing into her busy schedule. So - we've never met, but that was only the first year of what looks to become a great fiber/folk art event in mid-July.
www.fiberandfolk.com

Well ladies, I am crying in my soup. I heard from the person hosting the class and she said it is all filled up!!! I am on a waiting list,  though I do not have any hopes of being in this class.....sniffle, sniffle

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Aw shoot, Michelle, I'm sorry the class is full!  bear_sad  What a disappointment.

I have a couple of her books too and would love to take one of her classes. Her books are so full of creative eye candy. I can only imagine how much more fun and inspirational a class would be.
I hope she has another one you can attend soon.   :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I add my voice to the ecouragment you are getting....go for it honey....she is terribly talanted and you will learn oodles

O  darn, you last post hadnt shown up.....I am so sorry..... bear_cry

next time don't dither, hon, just get in there and get your place signed up for and then you can brag to us about everything you learned....

I am still green with ency that you got that close!

bear_grin

Board footer