Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ok, so baby is napping and I'm snooping here. I really want to get back into bearmaking as I haven't made anything since the baby came (4.5 months ago).
Her colic is over....... :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance: so I do have a BIT more time but I"m either resting, cleaning, cooking.......you get it.

I know some of you have little ones like I do and some have older ones. How do you guys find the time?? Do you find you have to give other things up to make time for bearmaking or am I just totally not organized??
I miss being creative, although being a mom is better I still want to make bears again.

bearsbyTracey BearsbyTracey
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi Heather
I have 4 children (16,14,7,5 yrs) Don't be so hard on yourself. Enjoy this time with your little one as they grow up so fast!! bear_original
However to get back into bearmaking once you have kids you have to be a organised!!! I am a list maker
I have several bears on the go at once!!!

As I make miniature bears, all my sewing is by hand. I carry a small plastic container,with small scissors cotton and bear pieces that need sewing.

Last week I was held up for 2 hours in a traffic jam so out came the sewing.

Hugs
Tracey

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Heather. welcome to parenthood. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  As time goes by you will find that you will actually amaze yourself at what you can accomplish in a day.....

Early morning...baby's crying...feed the baby, change the baby...cuddle the baby.....now baby is sleeping.......put baby down for nap..... get older kids off to school.....and the race starts!.....run down stairs and throw in a load of laundry...take out clothes from dryer.....think of bear idea...run back upstairs and get out paper and draw up design(sweeping the floor can wait)....clothes in basket can wait to be folded later.....find the right mohair and cut out bear.......run to mail box and put in letter before the mailman comes.....check on baby......baby still sleeping......clean up breakfast dishes....sit down and start sewing bear.....baby cries....change baby...feed baby....adore baby......kiss the baby......put baby on blanket with toys and sit next to baby with sewing...phone rings...heck let the answering machine get it... bear_laugh .....keep sewing.....feed baby....pack up baby to go to the store to get groceries.......go to mail box get mail.....leaves bills on the counter......dryer "pings"...run downstairs and change over laundry( isn't it unbelievable how much laundry you have with children?).....baby cries....phone rings..... bear_wacko

I am exhausted and the day is not even half over.....don;t forget to breath.

You get the idea Heather.  You'll find a way to work on bears. A new baby is tremendously time consuming but they do get easier as they get older...and a lot more fun too.  You'll  adjust and make it all work.  Other things have to wait, at times, to get done. Enjoy this time with your baby as they grow so fast...I have three( 16, 10, 5)and I don't know where the time has gone.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

...and after I just posted, my five-year-old is hollering for lunch......it never ends.... bear_laugh  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Well girls, BE GREEN WITH ENVY......................................I am passed that stage and have a beaut of a 16 year old, she washes up (hate that), endless cups of tea (hubby drinks bucket fulls), peels potatoes, hoovers.................................all for £15 per week (scivvy) and last week she added more stuffing to some bear arms and legs, as in her opinion "not firm enough"

Grin, bear it, and enjoy, they DO not stop little for long

PS Down side- answering back, dubious friends, messy bedroom...................... :crackup:

My role- peacemaker(hubby and her are too alike), taxi service, counsellor,  homework checker  :lol:

PPS Still don't have enough time bear_cry

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Hmmmm...4.5 months old...way back then, like 32 plus years ago..I did loads of my crafting with our son on my lap...couldn't imagine trying it now...but where there is a will, there is a way. Let the baby be part of your creativity always...Hope this makes sense.

Hugs &

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi - that post totally exhausted me!

As a live-in nanny I got SO much done during nap times... once I learned NOT to nap when the kids napped which was SOOOOO tempting!

4.5 months is a great age because she's not mobile yet so she can lay on the floor with toys or in a swing, etc. while you work on a bear. Just wait until she's crawling and (horrors) walking!!! You WILL be ready for a nap whenever she takes one and you'll need it! I'm no expert but I'd say that now is the time to start working bears into your daily routine if you desire... easier to stick with an established habit as she grows, I would think.

Knowing you, baby comes first anyway..... dont' sweat it if a week or two goes by and you haven't touched a piece of fur! She'll grow so fast... the first year is filled with so many changes and firsts..... enjoy them!! Teddy Bears aren't going anywhere!

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Hey Heather,
Fun times hey!
I'm just finishing up those months (big one is turning 3 this week  :cake: , little one is 21 months) so with a little of their independence comes time for these other things, Fairs, bears, etc.
I basically left bear stuff packed away for the first 12 months, not only was I out of time and energy but I had very little creative flow at the time. When the little one started to sleep through the evening (no 10pm feed) I found I got some quality time where everything could be left for more than 5 minutes without cries for my help and I could get some worthwhile work done. Also this was about the time that I was craving to do something for myself again.
So what seemed like a long time without, went like a flash I cannot believe that we'll soon be celebrating another 2nd birthday. It goes soooo fast -up until 6 months you get them having regularish sleeps, they cannot "get at" things, are really fairly steady with feeds etc you're busy but coping- it's really just training you for the months ahead. They sit up one day by themselves and then you'll really know you're alive- that's when the time starts to really fly.
Enjoy her now, have lots of rest (there will always be more housework tomorrow) and organization well, I'll let anyone else out there that has managed to achieve that to tell you how- I'm still fitting in things when I get the chance....
Wouldn't change it for anything!  :dance:

Mel

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

:hug:  :hug: Heather, don't be so hard on yourself your a first time Mum.  :hug:  :hug:   The younger your bub is the more work they are, be patient and enjoy the time, as they grow up too quickly and you forget how busy you were trying to keep up with everything around the house and you ran out of time to play and spend quality time, make new friends and network with other new  Mums, make sure you do this with your bub as they are growing up.   Your me time (bearmaking time) will come back around soon enough.   Rest up and enjoy, and plan your days.  You'll work it out soon enough as your baby becomes my independant.
Hang in there.   We know how you feel  bear_original
:hug:  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Daphne wrote:

. Just wait until she's crawling and (horrors) walking!!!

... the first year is filled with so many changes and firsts..... enjoy them!! Teddy Bears aren't going anywhere!

....and running!!!   bear_shocked  bear_wacko  You have to watch children so sooooooo closely.

I agree 110% with Daphne....so  many changes and firsts in the first year.  Bear swill always be there but those "firsts" happen and then they are gone.  It's nice to keep a journal so you can write these down....especially when they start talking....oh my....the things they say.  bear_laugh  They are worth writing down so you can look back years later and smile. bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

....oh...one more thing....never loose you sense of humor.  Laughing is wonderful for your heart and soul. bear_wub  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

i find a 1/4 bottle of whisky for the baby does the trick!!!!
not really!!!!! i sympathise, iv got 2 now, 4 and 2 yrs and when they go to bed and the hubby comes home, he gets ignored and the bear making stuff comes out!!!
when babys abit older and sleeping through with a regualr bed time it'll be easier,
im gonna have the same prob, new one on the way, biggest problem is going to be  covering the baby in fluff so i think ill be taking a break, unfortunatly as i agree with the others, you need abit of you time and its hard to come by!!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kim  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   You are so funny!  There is no better feeling than laughter.

Yes, Heather...How are you and baby doing?  Any pictures?

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Heather: I don't have children so I may not qualify to give advice but I have some anyways... I would make arrangements with other mothers to have them baby sit while you have your quiet time. In turn you give them a break and watch theirs.  That is one tip.

Another tip is to perhaps have a family member watch your child once or twice a week for a few hours while you work on bears or just rest. Grandparents usually love to do this.

Last tip is to find a daycare center and pay for them to watch your child for a few hours a week. Though it will cost money, it give you some peace while it rejuvenates you. It is well worth the money.

Either way Heather, you need your own space or you will grow angry and resentful if you don't get it. That is not good for you or your family.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Babies are a strategy unto themselves, but as the others have noted...bears can wait, those firsts are truly 'firsts'  and should be duly noted and recorded, and most of all treasured  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Between baby and bears, baby should ALWAYS come first  bear_wub

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

hi there
this is a good thread with lots of nuggets of advice ...
10 years ago i had a new baby and some raggy rat orders to complete .. it was a juggle and a struggle as the raggy rats stopped me from disapearing all together ... so much changes when you become mummy ...

im much better at juggling it nowadays
the bump is 30 weeks, and louise is near 10 and the twins near too
the babies are around for a lot of my work, and will now give me dropped pins and find things for me ...
they do need watching and cant be left inth e work/dining room alone of course !

i love being mummy and these folks are right, it is to be treasured
but me  time is important too
my mother did nothing AT ALL for herself and we have all suffered as a result
my late dad warned us about it and i listened well

balance !
its all balancing !

messy when it involves mohair and pics and baby-goo !
hugs
cat xxxx
ps yay for creative mummies - lucky children !

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, thanks everyone. I knew I would find some great advice here!

Most of you say that I should just enjoy every minute and I can see that. Already I can't believe she's almost 5 months old. Every time I put away clothing of hers that doesn't fit anymore I get a little bit sad. It's like saying good bye to my 'little' baby. No wonder moms call their grown children their baby. I think I get it now!

Judi, sounds like you've done that before! Sounds just like my day minus the other children. I have no idea how I"ll be able to handle more than one. I now know being a mom IS the toughest job out there.

Daph, you are right though. I should start incorporating bear making into my day now. Even if I don't get much done. It's easy to get out of the swing of things and then it's tough to get back into it. I never knew you were a nanny. Sounds like you learned lots about kids doing that. Oh and I know, it's easy now that I can just put her on her floor mat and she stays. I have a feeling motherhood never really gets easy............ bear_wacko

Mel, that sounds about right. I can see after a year I'll have a bit more time and desire to get back into doing something for me. Time does go by so fast. Just yesterday I was pregant and waiting to feel movement. It's almost scarey.

MJ, it's nice to know how you make bears. It's not as if you're able to sit for hours and make them so that makes me feel a bit better. I am craving a little me time. Not me as mommy time but just me time. I think bearmaking is perfect for that.

So thanks, I still think mom's are super heros!!

As for an update. Kail is doing great. She doesn't cry all the time and I find her a real joy to have around. Amazing what great company a baby can be. I love her more everyday and have learned a whole lot about myself. Nursing is going great, it's sure worth it to stick with it.
I'm keeping busy and I make sure I shower and get out of the house everyday. We go swimming and I even bought a zoo pass so me and my other mom friends have a great place to walk around and chat. Who said going to the zoo was for the kids! LOL

And just because you asked..........he he he here are some pictures. All these were taken around 2 weeks to present. Babies grow way to fast!

Asleep on daddy while he plays playstation. This was while she was still colicy.
discovering_baby_carrier....13.5_wks_4.jpg

Crazy baby at the zoo

1st_trip_to_the_zoo_16_wks_10.jpg

15_wks_old_13.jpg

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awwww just look at her!!  She's a star Heather!!   bear_wub  bear_wub    And hasn't she grown quickly, gosh I can't believe it's five months already....  yikes!!   bear_shocked    And I know what you mean, although it's lovely to see them acheive their 'firsts' - it's sad to think that another phase has passed and won't be back  bear_sad    Enjoy it while it lasts hun!!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Aww Heather, she's darling!!!

My daughter is almost 20 now, but I had to work full time and bring her to work with me since she was 2 weeks old.  My ex and I owned our own photo store and I just did what I had to do.

Now I was fortunate in that she never developed colic.... but I had lots of toys for her, and just worked it out I guess.  One thing was that she learned how to entertain herself.  I was always there... but sometimes had to get work done, take care of customers....  I do still remember her "first steps"  .... it was at work, in the afternoon... in the client meeting room (no clients at the time) and she walked from the radiator (not working) to me. 

It CAN be done!!  Sometimes it has to be..... and even if you don't "have" to make bears to make ends meet (like I HAD to work), you still need something for you so you don't loose yourself.

Enjoy her!!

Board footer