Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi,  bear_original

I have a mini 2 3/4" tall, but my hang tags are bigger than she is.  I was wondering what people do for hang tags for their minis.  I was thinking of either not putting a cord in the hang tag or putting a longish cord and attaching it to the bear's wrist.  Then I can have her lying on it in the box.  Any other suggestions?

Hugs,

Ellen

WhimzeeBearz Whimzee Bears
Moonee Ponds, Victoria

Hi Ellen, I haven't tried this but in her book, Enchanting Miniatures, Debbie Kesling talks of making your tags from shrink plastic.  They look great but I don't know if this stuff is still around - I know it was popular when I was a kid in the 80's but I haven't seen it around since.  Recently I bought some clear round 'puffy' stickers that have a hole punched in the top from a scrapbooking supplier which I thought I could use with a miniaturised version of my logo printed on paper and sandwiched between two of these...I haven't tried it yet but I think it would work.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I use the Shrinky Dink printable plastic sheets from Michael's.  They are perfect for mini tags and so easy to use.

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

Hi.
I found at Jo-Ann's a packet of small blank cards.  They are about 1 inch squared, I printed up my info on the computer, cut to size and two side taped it into the card.  On the outside (front of the card) I used a paw print hole punch.  I also use a small hole punch to run a string through to tye it on the bear.  Looks ok even on the smallest bears.  Best part is you can write (small) additional info on the back if you like.  I can price my bears for shows and still only use one tag.

Karen

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I also use Shrink It plastic for my hang tags. I use the kind that you can print on with an inkjet printer, that way I can print my logo on the front, cut them out using a Sizzix cutter as I wanted a specific shape you can write any info  you want on the back, punch a 1/8" hole. Then stick in the oven and watch them shrink. I attach them to my thread animals with a jump ring and a ribbon around the wrist on the sewn bears.

Hugs,

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

All of the above posts are ways that it can be done.  I know alot of people use the shrink plastic and get it from Michael's.  I know some people print and cut out small tags on cardstock.  Another way I've heard of it being done is to use business card stock and print two tags on one 'card' then cut that in half and use those.  I have also heard of people using small patches of 'leather' with printing on it.  Some print a small piece of paper then laminate that, punch a hole and tie it on.  Hopefully this will all give you some ideas :-)

Some don't put a tag directly on the bear but just include the information in a 'certificate' that can accompany the bear.

/bearhugs,

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thanks for all the ideas!  bear_original   

The bear has a tiny shrink art tag on her back.  Her description said she would also come with a signed, laminated hang tag with her photo (I wasn't thinking about the size problem when I wrote it.)  If the tag is the right size to attach so it hangs, I don't think I can fit the photo and other information on it.  So I was thinking of using my regular size hang tag and either just don't have a hole punched so it is more like an information card or punching a hole and putting a long cord so it is still technically a hang tag, but would rest on the table if attached to the bear.  Does either of those seem like a good solution?

Hugs,

Ellen

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Ellen,

I think either of those options would be good. If you decide to put on a hang tag the collector can always take it off if they don't like the fact that it is sitting on the table.

Hugs,

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Ellen

Hang tags are such a pain for minis!!  I  find them so frustrating, especially at shows.  My bears average at about 2 inches and I have a small square tag - that opens along the bottom edge. It's probably about an inch square when folded. When I go to shows I use a super long thread and attach the tag around the top of the leg, so that the tag can stand on the table behind the bear.  They still get a little tangled but the long thread means that the bear is not toppling over from the weight of the tag every time someone picks it up and puts it back on the table.

Again when I'm packing it into the box I use a longer thread and lay the tag in the bottom of the box with the bear on top.  I know I take the tags off my bears and store them in a folder so they don't get crushed and I'm sure that many collectors do a similar thing.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thank you!!!  You guys are wonderful.  bear_original  It's so helpful to hear what other people do and how they actually display and pack their bears.  I think I will put a long cord but not attach it and lay it under the bear in the box.  I also found the photo in Debbie Kesling's book -- the shrink art hang tag is so cute!  I wonder if you could incorporate a photo into it.  Something to think about for the future.

Hugs,

Ellen

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

I haven't tried it yet, but I read that the plastic take out containers, or the bakery cookie plastic containers can be used the same as the shrink plastic or Shrinky dinks. Any try this yet?

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Hi Ellen,

been so busy, no time to drop by TT... anyway, Sassy have some shrink film which I bought and they seem pretty cool, but  :redface: i have not use it yet! Hahaha.. I will send you a sheet together with this other item I plan to send to you... im still waiting for it to arrived...

I also learn here from this sales lady, that you can use fined sandpaper and rub it on the shrink plastic. After you do that, you color some chalk pastel on top and stamp your design. They use a special etching stamp. Than you use the hand blower and wala, you have a shrink logo design! how you put the hole I have forgotten, but don't worry, ill have class this weekend and will let you know... ill include photos here as well.... bear_original

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Ming,

Happy to see you here!!!  :hug:   Yes, please let me know how the shrink film you got works for you.   I used a big circle punch for the shrink tags I made (just Jo-Ann brand, I think) and a hole puncher (like the kind you use for notebook paper) for the hole.  It shrinks down to a nice size.

Hugs,

Ellen

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

:redface: errr... hmmm... i bought it but never tried it yet! maybe you can try it and tell me how it goes?  bear_whistle I'll give you one from my purhcase on sassy bear and another was bought in taiwan.... i will update and take photos tonight with my new sony digital camera bear_grin

update:

shrink.jpg

Step 1: cut the shape that you like. stamp some colors or you can use chalk pastel
step 2: Punch hole if you prefer. Put the shrink plastic on a container than turn the heat gun on.
step 3 & 4: Heat until a desired size... Be careful when removing it because its pretty hot! while it's hot, stamp on your design.

shrink2.jpg

hope this helps.....

:hug:
Ming

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Ming,  That is very cool!!!  I didn't know you could stamp a texture into shrink plastic.  Nice photos. bear_thumb

Barbette,  I haven't heard of trying the plastic containers as shrink plastic.  Can you let us know if it works?  That would be great!  bear_original

Hugs,

Ellen

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Yes Barbette is right... you can use those plastic cups just like a shrink plastic.. i remember watching a show and they did just that.. but i forgot what type of special plastic cup :doh: ... there are after all different type of plastic....

you can draw on the design at the bottom of the plastic cup, than put it on a small oven, once it melt, it will flatterned, remove while hot and i saw the host flatten it on top of a book! it's hot... so need to be careful... am i correct?

:hug:
Ming

crystalbear Crystal Bears
Derby

What's hang tag?

can I have a photo to see what it look like!! bear_whistle

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

hi everyone i have been using shrink plastic for my flower tags i got them from luckysquirel.com and they take moments to do in the oven and i'm please with them.DSCF4202.jpg i use thes for all my miniatures and they are light.

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

I use Metall disk and printed foil but I  found this side: http://www.ornamentea.com/TheShop/Misc.html

this Bezel looks good and there are smal

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

wow susiray, that tags looks sooo nice... i will experiment lately as well with small tags like those...

Manuela, i love the link u gave me! its great site.. thanks for sharing bear_original

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX
Manuela wrote:

I use Metall disk and printed foil but I  found this side: http://www.ornamentea.com/TheShop/Misc.html

this Bezel looks good and there are smal

Cool site.  You might also look in the scrap booking section of your local craft store.  I do a lot of shopping at Hobby Lobby and have used tiny little paper tags they had (like shipping tags) & just got some of the shrink film plastic, & I'm going to give that a try.

crystalbear Crystal Bears
Derby
susiray wrote:

hi everyone i have been using shrink plastic for my flower tags i got them from luckysquirel.com and they take moments to do in the oven and i'm please with them.http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload/200807/DSCF4202.jpg i use thes for all my miniatures and they are light.

what that metal thingy attached??

I finally made some and it look so brilliant for my mini bears.. I sew the tag on.. but that metal thingy look good..

Board footer