Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Merry Calliope Redmond, WA

I am completely addicted to Boston Terriers (thanks to my parents) and French Bulldogs (love those ears!) so I've been very much wanting to make some puppies for myself. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the appropriate 'jowly' look on the muzzles.

I've seen a few artists who do this wonderfully and, after having studied the photos a bit, kind of have an idea how it might go together...but I fear I might be over-complicating the process (very typical of me).

I do know it's more than just scissor sculpting the muzzle fur since the mohair used on these is pretty consistently the very, very short kind and I really love that look. But the upper lips are more defined than one could manage with needle-sculpting alone (bully wrinkles I can do...floppy lips? No idea). :D

I'm thinking the upper lips (floppy muzzle bit) might be a piece attached over an inset 'muzzle' (which then becomes the 'chin' of a closed mouth dog). Again, this seems at once too simple and too complex all at the same time...if that makes any sense at all (probably not). ^_^;;;

Might anyone be able to offer some guidance or offer suggestions as to how I might go about achieving a convincing 'bully' muzzle?

Thanks in advance!
-Merry

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have absolutely no idea either..though you may find there are lots of ladies on TT with helpful info on making dogs that might point you in exactly the right direction!!
If I were making one...and I am guessing here..., looking at real Bostons.. I think a fabric overlay which is wrinkled and needle sculpted on to a  head base shape would do the job ...so it's cut bigger in key places to allow for wrinkles, using draping techniques to get the right look.The upper lip hanging down would be done in a similar way..if you fashion an open mouth you could create a 'pouched' lip and then either sew or sculpt a nose.
No easy task....

Board footer