Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

I would like to invest in one or two good books on bear making, preferably ones with solid chapters on bear patterns and design.  (bodies and body parts are giving me fits bear_angry as are proportions)

It would be really helpful to know some of your favorites and I would appreciate recommendations.  Something I might buy based on Amazon.com's say so might be totally wrong.  (You think? bear_rolleyes )

Anyhoo...it would certainly be helpful to have some knowledgeable input as a good reference would certainly keep me from 'reinventing' the wheel here, going down the wrong alley, backing myself into a corner, going out on the limb, digging myself in deeper bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko .  (I'm really enjoying this hobby, honest bear_cry )

Thanx ladies (and laddies)

Pat

Off The Paw Artist Bears by Lesley
East Neuk

Hi Pat, although i have only used a pattern once for a miniature, (my bear looked nothing like the pattern was supposed too) I have read quite a few of the books and would recommend - Jennifer Laings 'Teddy Bear Art' as it has loads of good info about designing your own patterns, proportions, different arm, body and head shapes etc. Its great........

:hug:

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Pat,

Besides Laing's book, if you can find a copy of "A Bear of My Own" by Rotraud Ilisch, it has extensive information and musings on design.

Another one that I really like is "The Book of Teddy Bear Making" by Gillian Morgan. It's not about design per se, but there are so many types, sizes, etc. of bear patterns to look at and try making that it's a real education.

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I must have every bearmaking book printed, but I do have a few favorites.  Of course, Nancy Tillberg's  "101 Bears to Make" is a great one, but very hard to find as it's out of print now.  Others I like are:
"Teddy Bear Studio" by Ted Menten
"The ABCs of Making Teddy Bears" by Linda Mead
"Bearmaking 101" by Carol-Lynn Rossel Waugh
"Creating Heirloom Teddy Bears" (there are two of these - the original and series 2) by Linda Mullins

I don't know that you can still find all of these, but maybe so.  I would also put Jennifer Laing's book on my favorite list, but it's already been mentioned.

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Thank you for your considered responses.  It is soooo helpful to have help in finding books.  I have selected and ordered three that I found available this evening that seemed like a good beginning, and put the others on my reserve order list at Amazon.  They all look like really good selections.  There are so many books and authors out there from which to choose and I really felt at sixes and sevens picking any of them. 

I already had my eye on the Laing and so completed that order...the Tillberg will have to wait till the bears buy it for me...sigh...and I ordered a couple more of the other authors I found in used editions at reasonable prices...that concentrated on patterns...one was out of print as I recall, another, the Ted Minton pretty pricey right now...I was reading it on line yesterday...he writes superbly...the beginning about the beginning of the teddy bear....Steiff and Roosevelt...the confluence of history and genius. 

I am fascinated by the Rotraud's book and read a couple of pages on line and visited her website...it too is on my waiting list at Amazon.   Did you know she has a DVD out on bear building?  Unfortunately not in English bear_sad

Again many thanks...

Pat

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Pat
You can purchase Rotrauds CD in English directly from her. I have it and it is well worth the purchase as she covers a lot of topics complete with pictures
Hugs
Gail

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I have several recommendations on my blog you might find helpful:

http://allbear.blogspot.com/search/labe … ar%20books

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Thank you, Thank you! Gail and Paula!

It's back to Amazon.com!  When recommendations keep "gettin' recommended" and who can argue with the masters recommending the masters?  What a win win!

I told my hubby what I had done and he approved and added a couple of bucks to the library fund...he likes to see a happy wife  bear_wub and he comes in very handy too for tightening those cotter pins bear_smile

Pat (currently immersed in grizzleys)

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

Hi Pat!

You may want to check out the website for Alibris.  They have a lot of the teddy bear making books that you can find on Amazon only they are slightly used.  They are loads cheaper.  Just an idea.

Good Luck! bear_original

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

Here is their link if you are interested.  I have ordered from them several times over the years and never had any problems with delivery even though the books come from various used book shops around the country.

http://www.alibris.com/

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

It's always worth keeping an eye on Ebay too. bear_thumb

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Thanks, ladies, the books I have ordered are all used books from other sites. I've received confirmation that they are all on their way from all over the country and I'm anxiously awaiting them...I won't start on my next bear body without their input.--the head is done...but the body...I can use some help with bear_wacko

Pat

Board footer